Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    http://finance.yahoo.com/tech-ticker...M,AAPL,%5eixic (I found the link on PIC.)

I don't understand the logic in the omission of removable memory. Most of the posts seem to point that WebOS' take on its interaction with the cloud is to download (that's the word Roger McNamee used.) to local what you need before you need it. This is great for me; I fly often...it's ironic that a 100% cloud-dependant phone is useless...when you're in the clouds!

If the Pre "absolutely is a convergence - for your data"...why are they capping us at 8 GB?
    This is like a drawback for Palm, after all the strides they've made with the Pre & Pro. Thxfully our Treo Pro still benefit from a microSD slot.
    I think this is mostly aimed at a prosumer market and not just the average media consumer. I plan I. Using this more as a PIM device than a media tool, I'll use an iPod for that. PIM data and documents take up less space than media files. 8GB should be plenty enough. That's what I'm thinking anyway.
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post

If the Pre "absolutely is a convergence - for your data"...why are they capping us at 8 GB?

Now available Pre 2 - with 16gb of storage!

The guy running the show comes from apple, he already knows this works....
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Now available Pre 2 - with 16gb of storage!

The guy running the show comes from apple, he already knows this works....
    Apple has a decent base of loyal followers. IM-HO-TEP (just kidding). They can afford to tease and release newer versions knowing the fans will upgrade.

Palm is jumping the gun if they are planning staged upgrades, they haven't sold any Pre's yet to get that fanbase, and it looks like a lot of people really want more storage options like a Micro SD -- myself included.

I'm hoping the reason for only 8G and no slot is either they couldn't engineer the slot because of room, or they are saving a few $$$, not a marketing ploy.
    http://finance.yahoo.com/tech-ticker...M,AAPL,%5eixic (I found the link on PIC.)

I don't understand the logic in the omission of removable memory. Most of the posts seem to point that WebOS' take on its interaction with the cloud is to download (that's the word Roger McNamee used.) to local what you need before you need it. This is great for me; I fly often...it's ironic that a 100% cloud-dependant phone is useless...when you're in the clouds!

I guess my response would be this:
    1) When most folks speak of data they speak about non-media. An 8GB dataset is HUGE. Folks that read forums like this might care about removable media, but we aren't typical. But, I think when they talk about converging data they are thinking about information - which is the spirit of the device. And it is the spirit of their target audience.

2) IF they are following the could route to its logical conclusion then maybe they are expecting a lot of your media to be hosted online somewhere. I dunno.
    But I do see that if the 8GB limit is a huge deal, then this device is not for you. There will be more in the future.
    The 8GB limit is a huge deal.

We all understand that "cloud computing" means that our data is backed up nice and safely somewhere in the cloud where we always have access to it. And that a "copy" will always be available on our devices when we are not connected to the net. And that's great for the data.

Here comes the but....

I have owned every Treo from the 270 to the Centro and now an 800w. Every one of them has at some point had to be hard reset. Often when it's totally inconvenient. (Some *shock* have spontaneously hard reset. Several times while at airports during layovers, and once in midair. Not every airport has a) great cell service, or b) WiFi that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, and heaven knows the cloud is useless when you are in the clouds.

I want my movies on my device during those long flights, dangit. And if I don't have an sd card...where do I put them? And how in youknowwhere do I restore all the media after one of those pesky hard resets if it was all in RAM?

If it were just a question of data, sure, 8GB is more than enough and you can share with media. But that really isn't the issue now, is it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    The 8GB limit is a huge deal.

We all understand that "cloud computing" means that our data is backed up nice and safely somewhere in the cloud where we always have access to it. And that a "copy" will always be available on our devices when we are not connected to the net. And that's great for the data.

Here comes the but....

I have owned every Treo from the 270 to the Centro and now an 800w. Every one of them has at some point had to be hard reset. Often when it's totally inconvenient. (Some *shock* have spontaneously hard reset. Several times while at airports during layovers, and once in midair. Not every airport has a) great cell service, or b) WiFi that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, and heaven knows the cloud is useless when you are in the clouds.

I want my movies on my device during those long flights, dangit. And if I don't have an sd card...where do I put them? And how in youknowwhere do I restore all the media after one of those pesky hard resets if it was all in RAM?

If it were just a question of data, sure, 8GB is more than enough and you can share with media. But that really isn't the issue now, is it.
    ... and why do you assume as the only behaviour is to format the internal drive on hard reset?

Maybe (or better, the right assumption) the 8Gb storage space acts as an internal drive, independent of OS space.

Don't kill the horse before it has it's leg broken.
    Speculations are welcome, but please think a bit before posting.
    8gb is plenty. The folks who'd even mess with micro cards are really in the small minority. I think apple has proven that people like simplicity.

If that isn't enough room to throw some movies or whatever on, then you're doing it wrong.

Still, even with the drag and drop method, i think palm is approaching it wrong. They really need an app that walks people through it like itunes. They have to keep in mind that people are generally stupid. I love the cloud approach, but i'm not sure why they can't have multiple approaches.

I picture the average consumer has someone with a blank look in his eye. He gets home with his device, stuggles to hook it up to the computer..and then thinks "now what?" and trained as he is, looks for the CD in the box.

"they said this was a hot phone, but how do i sync it?" he wonders. After a call to palm he ponders this drag and drop stuff they kept telling him about. "Is that a program" he wonders. After logging in to say how palm's customer service blows, he looks at his Pre again.

"aww screw it, i'm gonna go back to my iphone, at least it plays music and video" he thinks. He then wonders if he said that out loud.
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jthelman View Post
    Apple has a decent base of loyal followers. IM-HO-TEP (just kidding). They can afford to tease and release newer versions knowing the fans will upgrade.
    Well the proof is in the pudding, clearly he thinks that he can get away with it and still win big, that's the gamble he's willing to take - and with his track record I'm not going to bet against him...
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    "aww screw it, i'm gonna go back to my iphone, at least it plays music and video" he thinks. He then wonders if he said that out loud.
    Do you see many Iphone users changing over? I don't. If you've had that phone for more than 6 months, you are already deeply embedded in their information ecology - I don't think it's much of a consideration really.

Your data isn't every single MP3 and video you own the way Palm is taking it. I have a 4gb card that still has almost a GB open and I have all of the music I want on it. Of course I have a netbook I use for movies on flights now (or my work laptop if its a business trip) since movies on a 3" screen isn't really anything I want to deal with.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    I don't own an iphone and haven't played around with them much, but as I recall they have neither a removable battery or memory expansion card. I have movies on my treo 680 w 8gb expansion card, and I don't have the card filled either. How many movies can you watch before the battery is dead? I haven't tried this yet, but if 5 movies take 4GB or less perhaps then you may end up with a dead battery before you can watch all the movies. At least you can carry a spare battery...I don't see my phone as my media repository (Unlike an ipod classic...)
    Casio BOSS->Palm Pilot Professional->Palm M500->Treo 600-> Treo 680->Treo Pro (TP) ->HP Veer<->HP TP<->Pre3<>HP TP 4G
    Conn 6H-> Bach 36->Bach 16L (high Bb plays really flat?(fixed thanks to **** Akright))-> New York Bach 6viii
    Scalpel->Scope->Aesop->Hermes->Sidne->Davinci S>Davinci Si
    8gb is an enourmous amount of data. Are you REALLY going to need every single bit of data on your phone, even on long flights? And if you do, don't you also carry a laptop anyway?

I'm sure that Palm will release a 16 and/or 32gb version in short order regardless.
    Palm Pilot -> Palm IIIX -> Tungsten T3 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre
    Uh, not to take the thread off topic from the 8gig discussion, but am I the only person who hadn't heard about these 2 new features?

http://www.precentral.net/new-featur...lendar-context
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    ...I'll need at least 5 GB for all Dora episodes we've ripped from our DVDs...Not much room left for me.
    I the Pre works as advertised, this thing will be fantastic.

Personally, I can't imagine using a ful 8gb of memory. I have a 4 gig card in my 755 and it's got a full gig available and I have 12 movies and all the music I can listen to on it, plus a number of programs, backup, etc.

For those who have more that 8 gig, I'd ask how muck of that do you really access on a regular basis or do you just like having more than you can even use available to you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    Uh, not to take the thread off topic from the 8gig discussion, but am I the only person who hadn't heard about these 2 new features?

http://www.precentral.net/new-featur...lendar-context
    Those 2 features sounds amazing! Thank goodness Palm is more focused on PIM data, that stuff is very useful to me. I love my Pre even though its not in my hands right now ;_;.
  20. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    I really like that - I think in a lot of situations it's going to have to do it off more inaccurate cell information - also you want a GPS chip that can quickly switch from "ready" to "off" or the battery is going to go down like pigs on a feeding bucket.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast