Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    You're exaggerating the point immensely from that one sentence which goes right back to my point that people aren't asking to bring their home hard drive with them. At the least I need 8 gigs of music since most of my stuff is ripped at 320kb and for listening in the car and going to the gym I wouldn't have to carry multiple devices. Then I have a few gigs of technique guides, product lit and some powerpoint presentations. Mostly for my review but for my docs when I'm in a pinch and would be even more for them with a nicer screen and mass storage support that will allow me to pop it on their pc or any PC in the OR for review before a case. Then I want to review material for classes I teach so I need that info as well. Again, Palm made the desktop references, not me. If they were going to limit expansion by eliminating the card slot, the least they could've done was give it USB host support. That would've been about as unique as you can get in a "groundbreaking" device.

And the other points are relevant because they go hand in hand with the closed 8gb's of memory. So I'm happy you can live with a non expandable, incapable of being backed up without a pc 8 gigs of memory. Has nothing to do with prioritization. Has to do with what I can already do on existing products and now won't be able to do on an intuitive, next generation, company saving device. And if I'm going to spend money on a next gen device that is going to allow me to do more on my phone than I can on my Centro; if I'm going to have a device that will allow me to not have to open my laptop as much, why would it limit the amount of storage I have access to?
    I haven't said what I'm happy with, today. I'm just addressing what you said.

Your points seems to be that users shouldn't to have to pick and choose from the stuff that you can put on your current device(s). I still say that's an issue of priorities.

After all, you did say, "At the least I need 8 gigs of music ..."
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    But that is the bottom line. "People shouldn't have to pick and choose from what goes on our current devices." If we are upgrading shouldn't our options become greater instead of more limited? Why do you want to upgrade down?
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    But that is the bottom line. "People shouldn't have to pick and choose from what goes on our current devices." If we are upgrading shouldn't our options become greater instead of more limited? Why do you want to upgrade down?
    The Centro was an upgrade in some ways and a downgrade in others, but I think it's still considered a success. It's just not for me, as I gather this new device is not for some of you. Maybe the next one will be.

For those that do adopt the Pre, some sacrifices may have to be made in order to gain the benefits of the new o.s., hardware, and form factor. They'll have to prioritize, for one thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    I guess it depends on your definition of upgrade. Whats important to some may not be important to others.
    That's all well and good, but please be honest and chime in...how many use different memory cards?

I don't. And i'll tell you why. Because i was never compelled to really put video on (a palm device) it to play back. And i don't fall into the camp that i need all the mp3's i own on a portable device.

On the iphone, i had no choice. But i use the space that is available to store things..who wouldn't? But it doesn't mean i really use that space. I seldom watch movies on it even though they're there.

On the Pre, i'll have no choice. If its 8gb, i'll live with 8gb. In this day and age, i stream a lot as well. But more importantly, if it had a card slot, i wouldn't fool with it. It's just more stuff to maintain and carry around. Maybe that's personal choice, but i think it fits a lot of people.

It's really not worth focusing on IMO as i'd worry about other things. This is just the first device in their webOS line.

I'm still tickled to death that sprint is getting a capacitive multitouch device with a real kb from palm that boasts a real browser, better email, and mgmt of contacts, calendar. No more iphone or itunes. This is what i wanted from palm since i first held an iphone. An iphone that wasn't so limited. Palm seems to have delivered.

So, yep, i can rationalize 8gb of storage all day.
    I have an 8gb card filled with music that goes from my Centro to my Fuze. I have a 2gb card more geared towards work info. It to is almost filled. I use another 2gb card w/adapter in my camera from time to time since the centro camera stinks. The Centro is limited because of its aging OS, small screen and need of an adapter for headphones.

I'd use the Pre more because of the larger more robust screen and UI so I would use my netbook a little less. It's always in my bag, but the instant use of the Pre would make it easier to use.

I suppose some see their phone as less of a business tool than others. That's fine. Just don't try and dictate what you think we need and don't need to use our phone for. Everyone seems to have their own ideas what smartphones should and shouldn't be. Like religion, nobody is wrong for believing it. The P in PIM stands for personal. It is not a Universal Information Manager.

The Centro is held back by an aging OS and small screen. The Pre is addressing that but limiting things we've taken as standard on every treo we've owned for quite awhile now and have also seen on new competitive products. So why are we wrong to be disappointed about the loss of expandable memory and be vocal about it?
    I'm in the camp that uses a card, but only one. Now that I've found a 8 GB card for my 755P, I don't have to put my music on one card and my movies n stuff on another.

8 GB of music is a LOT. Not saying too much, but I think it's important to keep that perspective.

Or not. If it's a deal-breaker for some, fine. I hope you find what you want.
    It's not wrong to be vocal about and i apologize for implying that.

More storage is always good. But i don't have the all the info really. Palm must've had a reason behind it or did research to figure out that nonremovable storage is all the rage or something. Maybe the slot would lead to bad design or something.

Regardless, i'm just more psyched about the other aspects of the Pre and can live with 8gb for the first device. If i know myself, this will merely be the first of many webOS devices for me.
    By the way, when I had my stuff on two cards, I almost never used the 2nd one. Too much of a hassle. They were 2 GB cards, by the way, so I'm ecstatic to have 8 GB. I'd prefer removable but I think I'd be willing to get the model we saw and upgrade later (to an expandable version, if they offer one).

I just hope they don't offer it RIGHT after I purchase the Pre. (Well, 2 Pre's. one for me and one for my lady.)
    I have an 8gb card filled with music that goes from my Centro to my Fuze. I have a 2gb card more geared towards work info. It to is almost filled. I use another 2gb card w/adapter in my camera from time to time since the centro camera stinks. The Centro is limited because of its aging OS, small screen and need of an adapter for headphones.

I'd use the Pre more because of the larger more robust screen and UI so I would use my netbook a little less. It's always in my bag, but the instant use of the Pre would make it easier to use.

I suppose some see their phone as less of a business tool than others. That's fine. Just don't try and dictate what you think we need and don't need to use our phone for. Everyone seems to have their own ideas what smartphones should and shouldn't be. Like religion, nobody is wrong for believing it. The P in PIM stands for personal. It is not a Universal Information Manager.

The Centro is held back by an aging OS and small screen. The Pre is addressing that but limiting things we've taken as standard on every treo we've owned for quite awhile now and have also seen on new competitive products. So why are we wrong to be disappointed about the loss of expandable memory and be vocal about it?
    Do you agree that you are likely a minority in this respect?
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    Uh, not to take the thread off topic from the 8gig discussion, but am I the only person who hadn't heard about these 2 new features?

http://www.precentral.net/new-featur...lendar-context
    Very Apple, in that they sound super-cool features, that should impress and amaze your friends! and may even, depending on implementation, be actually useful too....

Very Palm, that the news of them dribbled out, rather than being headlined at the launch as Jobs surely would have!
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    I personally feel restricted on not having an exansion slot. Like others have said, 8GB onboard is great but is still a restriction. I would even take 256MB onboard and a Microsd slot over 8GB onboard and no memory slot. Now, if they would have 8GB onboard AND a microsd slot they would have hit it out of the ballpark. Having said that, I am still getting the Pre as long as I can keep SERO.
    I use my Treo 680 as a music player, mostly while doing boring head-down type work. Right now I have 4GB and a 2GB SD cards and they're both pretty full. I like this because I'm not constantly updating and adding and subtracting. I have several playlists set up and I just listen to whatever I feel like listening to that day.

I'm not as concerned about the space for music since it looks like Pandora has an app for the Pre. I'll just listen to that all day. Sprint might be sorry they're giving me an unlimited data plan. *evil grin*

The main time I use video, however, is on airplanes, and you can't use the cloud then. I have a 16GB USB drive and an 8GB SD card just for watching video on my netbook.

I just don't like the idea of being limited, as I'm not accustomed to it. If I want more, i just buy another card or flash drive. But I guess I can get used to it. I would rather get used to 16GB. I hope Palm reconsiders and adds some memory in the final version of Pre.

And I do think there will be some kind of easy-to-use sync solution on the Pre, though I'm perfectly happy with drag and drop.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    I find this amusing. Just a year or two ago people had to make do with a couple hundred mb, not gb. Now 8 GB is not enough??? insanity! this thing isnt' supposed to be an ipod, then a phone - it's a phone then an ipod (if that, I don't think they're claiming to be media centric are they?)

Personally I don't care at all, 8 GB will be great for me since I stream the majority of my music from internet radio anyways.

Also, I've had several phones with mini-sd cards and I don't use them at all beyond putting on navigation software. It's too much hassle to open up the phone, put it in the computer, put it back in. On the Pre it will be mass storage, so plug it directly in, load what you want, and go. Will be a lot easier to manage a lower amount of storage IMO, especially at higher usb speeds
    Quote Originally Posted by machx View Post
    I find this amusing. Just a year or two ago people had to make do with a couple hundred mb, not gb. Now 8 GB is not enough??? insanity! this thing isnt' supposed to be an ipod, then a phone - it's a phone then an ipod (if that, I don't think they're claiming to be media centric are they?)

Personally I don't care at all, 8 GB will be great for me since I stream the majority of my music from internet radio anyways.

Also, I've had several phones with mini-sd cards and I don't use them at all beyond putting on navigation software. It's too much hassle to open up the phone, put it in the computer, put it back in. On the Pre it will be mass storage, so plug it directly in, load what you want, and go. Will be a lot easier to manage a lower amount of storage IMO, especially at higher usb speeds

I find it amusing that a few years ago everyone used cd's, but since these "DVD's" came out, the cd's are no longer large enough. Then it was dual layer "DVD's" and evyone needs those now. I mean seriously, would it be that much trouble to change the cd's 10-12 times while your kids are watching WALL-E? Why do you need this one single disc? I mean, geez, you people are getting rediculous now.
    I think you just don't have a clue what people use their phones for.
    Believe me, I use my phone for a lot of what I do during my day be it work or pleasure. I just find it absurd as to what some folks are complaining about in regards to the Pre... It's a new OS, new hardware, and new direction. I'm just glad Palm is on the right path. Sorry about the previous weather suggestion, seems Philly is a bit chilly lately.

Peace.
    Quote Originally Posted by machx View Post
    I find this amusing. Just a year or two ago people had to make do with a couple hundred mb, not gb.
    A year or two ago? My Treos have had 1GB or (much) more, starting from my 600 5 years ago...but that's the benefit of a removable card.
    People, people. Can't we all agree that there is no one device that will be perfect for everybody. If its what you want, get it, if not, skip it. Now, lets have a group hug ( ^_^)//
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    A year or two ago? My Treos have had 1GB or (much) more, starting from my 600 5 years ago...but that's the benefit of a removable card.
    ok, yes 1 GB SD card, then 2 GB, then 4, then 8, then 16, then 32, 64... oh well... lol I'm more than happy with 8 GB I still remember struggling with 300 mb.

people are so incredibly picky!!!
    Floppy disk, anyone???

Sorry....couldn't resist.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast