Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    Orb will probably be a good option. (I use it a lot for TV).
    I travel too much internationally for this to work. There's no way I can afford data roaming charges.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bakerman1 View Post
    Maybe I'm way off in this, but I remember not to long ago....wait, actually current...my centro, the newest palm os phone, has 68.8 mb of availiable free space on the device and I do believe a micro sd card slot that supports (according to palm) a 4gb card. So essentially I have a current device that supports 4.07 gigs of space
    People on this board have confirmed the 16gb cards work on Centros. 32gb cards will probably be out by the end of the year.

8gb w/o expansion is a step back. Maybe it's OK for the target market, but it's a step back.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    Let's remember, too, that this is but the first of many devices from Palm on this OS. No question they left at least a couple of things off the "wish list" with the Pre.

With the new news about how smart this calendar is, I can't wait to see what else they have in store!
    Palm Pilot -> Palm IIIX -> Tungsten T3 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre
    I like his "batman belt" and the way he produced all those gadgets during the interview lol.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Well I hope data converge don't mean an English-centric convergence. Many Asians communicate is a english and other asian languages like chinese, japanese, thai... it would be good if pre can support all these characters in sms, email, song titles and movie titles and contacts names by default
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    I like his "batman belt" and the way he produced all those gadgets during the interview lol.
    I was waiting for him to pull out the iGrapplingHook to lay on the table next to the others.
    Got a question on storage, if we load Word and Excel documents thru the USB as a storage device will we be able to pull this information from the Pre once we have the DataViz Office installed?

I use Live Mesh to sync today, will I be able to retrieve this on the browerser?

If we can it would be great, I would have my pictures on the Pre Sync with Live Mesh, as soon as I take a picture that folder would sync with Live Mesh. If they get a video camera it would do the same, it would be avaiable on any computer in the world.

What would go on the 8GB Pre, applications, pictures, and movies. Leave documents on things like Live Mesh (5GB) or SkyDrive (25GB), you could pull these documents at work anytime, do a presentation or update a Word document.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Now available Pre 2 - with 16gb of storage!
    8GB is fine for *me* for internal storage - for now. But 16, 32, 64... a 1TB, I don't care, I need removable storage for local backup/restore. Say I have filled 6GB on my Pre and it's backed up into the cloud. My phone crashes and I reset then configure the apps to reach the proper place in the cloud where my stuff is, then start downloading my 6GB backup. How long before I have my phone functional?! Imagine doing that with 16GB or more? Not me!
    I think I just threw up in my mouth a little with that statement. Did I get the url wrong and end up in the ilounge?
    Quote Originally Posted by klurfdawg23 View Post
    Sometimes you just have to change you mindset and methods from the past into a new way of doing things if you truly want a Pre
    I think I'd be happier with 2gb on board and a card slot. I have a netbook that I seem to carry everywhere now, but if I didn't have to break it out to show a technique video or presentation? If I didn't have to hook it up to my netbook to transfer what I wanted all the time because I could have a 16gb card with all my sales materials on it, that would be a big plus.

I have all my music ripped at a minimum of 256kb. 8gb gets filled up just with basic stuff I listen to at the gym. Which leaves no room left for work stuff. What about those pics I just took on my real camera utilizing my microSD card and SD adapter? Bummer. Can't pop them on my phone and load them on facebook or email them to anyone. Guess I'll have to deal with the crappy camera on the Pre if I want to do that. So why do I bring the nice pocketable lumix when I can't even share photos immediately anymore?

I do have an 80gb zune that has all my music on it. I use it mostly at home and for hotel rooms and such with the portable speakers. I then have a Fuze for working out. There's all the time in between where easy access on the Pre would be convenient. But not if I'm fighting for space on the measly 8 gigs with work stuff, photos and such.

If they were going to cripple it with no expansion slot, they could've at least added USB host support to it. Then you could hook up your camera, mp3 player, external drives and such and make it even more useful. Having a 32gb USB drive to use with the Pre would be pretty sweet. Taking pics on your camera and hooking it up to the Pre to upload to your online gallery, facebook or just share with friends would be sweet.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    8gb is plenty. The folks who'd even mess with micro cards are really in the small minority. I think apple has proven that people like simplicity.

If that isn't enough room to throw some movies or whatever on, then you're doing it wrong.

Still, even with the drag and drop method, i think palm is approaching it wrong. They really need an app that walks people through it like itunes. They have to keep in mind that people are generally stupid. I love the cloud approach, but i'm not sure why they can't have multiple approaches.

I picture the average consumer has someone with a blank look in his eye. He gets home with his device, stuggles to hook it up to the computer..and then thinks "now what?" and trained as he is, looks for the CD in the box.

"they said this was a hot phone, but how do i sync it?" he wonders. After a call to palm he ponders this drag and drop stuff they kept telling him about. "Is that a program" he wonders. After logging in to say how palm's customer service blows, he looks at his Pre again.

"aww screw it, i'm gonna go back to my iphone, at least it plays music and video" he thinks. He then wonders if he said that out loud.
    8GB might be plenty for you, but it is not for me. I now have 13.5 gig of data on my iPhone.

Why do people also assume that other people might have different needs then theirs?
    And i call bs..you don't have that much data on your iphone. Songs and video perhaps, but then again, so do i since i got a 16gb iphone as well. But that's not data.

If i had an 8gb iphone, it'd be less. And it'd be no problem.

You have to decide what your needs really are. Having season one of Lost available to watch at all times..or having what you need.
    so you're the BS police? We now have to justify our statements? His definition of data might encompass all the files on his iphone including songs and video.

And in regards to your last statement, we shouldn't have to decide what things to put on. If I'm using it for work I should be able to pop in the card with my technique videos, case photos and x-rays, maybe a powerpoint presentation or two. But if I only need it for work I can pop out that card and put in the one that has photos, music and a movie or two. Or maybe I plunk down for the 16gb card and fill it with everything instead of use multiple 8gb cards.

If I wanted to deal with limits and restrictions I'd buy an iphone. If I want the freedom with the device I'm used to, I'll buy a Palm. Well at least I thought I would. Maybe there are too many former Apple employees on the team.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    And i call bs..you don't have that much data on your iphone. Songs and video perhaps, but then again, so do i since i got a 16gb iphone as well. But that's not data.

If i had an 8gb iphone, it'd be less. And it'd be no problem.

You have to decide what your needs really are. Having season one of Lost available to watch at all times..or having what you need.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    I know I'm going to get hammered on this comment but, if anyone needs more than 8 gigs of memory in their phone, maybe it's time to go out and enjoy the weather, throw a baseball around or something for a change...
    Or maybe those of you who feel that you can limit your space should not bother with a convergent device and get one o' dem der fancy 1GB mp3 players and a feature phone. I think a Razr would suit you just fine.
    I think you just don't have a clue what people use their phones for.
    Quote Originally Posted by donjuan831 View Post
    I know I'm going to get hammered on this comment but, if anyone needs more than 8 gigs of memory in their phone, maybe it's time to go out and enjoy the weather, throw a baseball around or something for a change...
    Someone said that users shouldn't have to choose a subset of their data/files for use on the Pre. I don't get that. Wouldn't you have to choose, regardless? Isn't portable storage always going to be less than home/work storage - whether we're talking about data/file storage or physical storage.

If I go on a trip, I would expect to always have to choose which items, from my home, will come with me on the trip.

Complaining that the Pre won't allow you to store EVERY file from your home/work seems like complaining that your car's trunk won't hold EVERY item from your home.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    People aren't asking to fit their home hard drive on the Pre. People are asking to have the same storage capabilities they have on their Centro or could have on the Storm or Touch, all of which have expandability. Memory cards are cheap and getting cheaper by the day as well as getting larger. What's the point of having desktop like capability(they did tout that, right?) when you're limited to 8gigs? You're increasing the overall functionality of the device but decreasing the capability to make use of it compared to the competition and its predecessor.

You're also leaving out the part of the argument about this whole cloud sync, and if for some reason you have to hard reset or start from scratch while out and about. You have no way to restore all the files, data, music, movies or what not until you get back to a pc. Not good for sales reps out in the field all day. Not good if you're on vacation. The list could go on. What's the point of the combination of "cloud" syncing and 8 gigs of storage if you can't restore or sync that 8 gigs of info in a pinch? And no I'm not asking to be able to cloud sync 8 gigs of info.
    Last edited by crogs571; 01/20/2009 at 11:46 PM.
    8Gb will probably be enough for me. It just seems a dumb move to bring out a new phone with the memory size at the current norm and to not provide a card slot for those that want to use one.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    People aren't asking to fit their home hard drive on the Pre.
    I was addressing one point: Someone DID say that users shouldn't have to choose which of their files they will bring with them via the Pre.

There was no need for me to address other issues if they were not my focus and were not relevant to the topic on which I was focusing.

Suggesting that I should've included other points that weren't relevant to the one that I was addressing is kinda like suggesting that users shouldn't have to choose which files to bring with them and which to leave at home.

*checks*

From what I can tell, it was you that said it:
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    And in regards to your last statement, we shouldn't have to decide what things to put on.
    Prioritizing is ok. In fact, it's essential.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    You're exaggerating the point immensely from that one sentence which goes right back to my point that people aren't asking to bring their home hard drive with them. At the least I need 8 gigs of music since most of my stuff is ripped at 320kb and for listening in the car and going to the gym I wouldn't have to carry multiple devices. Then I have a few gigs of technique guides, product lit and some powerpoint presentations. Mostly for my review but for my docs when I'm in a pinch and would be even more for them with a nicer screen and mass storage support that will allow me to pop it on their pc or any PC in the OR for review before a case. Then I want to review material for classes I teach so I need that info as well. Again, Palm made the desktop references, not me. If they were going to limit expansion by eliminating the card slot, the least they could've done was give it USB host support. That would've been about as unique as you can get in a "groundbreaking" device.

And the other points are relevant because they go hand in hand with the closed 8gb's of memory. So I'm happy you can live with a non expandable, incapable of being backed up without a pc 8 gigs of memory. Has nothing to do with prioritization. Has to do with what I can already do on existing products and now won't be able to do on an intuitive, next generation, company saving device. And if I'm going to spend money on a next gen device that is going to allow me to do more on my phone than I can on my Centro; if I'm going to have a device that will allow me to not have to open my laptop as much, why would it limit the amount of storage I have access to?
    Last edited by crogs571; 01/21/2009 at 12:37 AM.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast