Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    Uh, not to take the thread off topic from the 8gig discussion, but am I the only person who hadn't heard about these 2 new features?

http://www.precentral.net/new-featur...lendar-context
    Wow, sounds amazing, this Pre is really becoming more and more of an interesting device.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
    ...I'll need at least 5 GB for all Dora episodes we've ripped from our DVDs...Not much room left for me.
    LOL I have Dora on my 32GB iPod Touch, my 60GB iPod Classic, the 8GB card on my TreoPro, on DVDs in my car and, on 2 laptops, on an eMac, and on usb thumb drives that plug into the tele on our sailboat.

Invariably they are not the latest Dora or quite right for the little princess! If only there was a way to get Dora from the cloud. Oh hold on, there is, it's that new technology, tadahh "television"
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Don't forget Orb!
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Rock Solid and Stable - Sprint Centro and Treo 755p
    i was able to cramp 8 full length movies, about 300 songs, 200 photos, some PIM and about 20+ apps into my iphone 8gb and still have 720mb left...
    Switched from the iPhone to Treo Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    Your data isn't every single MP3 and video you own the way Palm is taking it. I have a 4gb card that still has almost a GB open and I have all of the music I want on it. Of course I have a netbook I use for movies on flights now (or my work laptop if its a business trip) since movies on a 3" screen isn't really anything I want to deal with.
    10000000% agree. i think people just want bigger and better because they can get it not necessarily because they absolutely need it. i too have a 4gb and only am using 2gb with 2 full movies, about 75 songs, and garmin xt plus igo8 and maps. Thats a LOT of data crammed into 2gb of space. i could theoretically cram probably 5 full movies and about 500 song on 4gb. If you cant something is wrong with your formatting, likely the movies. A mobile movie (mine are even full VGA resolution for my Touch Pro) in under 500mb a piece, tops. One i have is 400 something and one is about 300mb. And the Pre is only half-VGA so they should be slightly smaller. Simply dont drop a full DVD onto your device at 7-800mb, covert it and optimize your space properly.

A smartphone is not to lug around all your 43,232 songs plus 50 movies and stuff. Once a week change up your music and videos on your device through the cable, simple as that. I cant see anyone needed like 40,000 songs on them at all points in time. This is not an ipod/iphone and its not a media device converged, its a full on smartphone that does media. Its not fair to compare every single device like the Diamond was) to the iphone. Most people with iphones that i know dont even touch their max internal storage limit on 8 or 16gb

And if not dont get the Pre! Whining about it wont change the fact its 8gb, its simply not the device for you if you cant work around it and simply load new content every so often. 8gb really is a lot of space if you format things correctly and optimize the space.
    Last edited by klurfdawg23; 01/19/2009 at 03:14 PM.
    Well having more songs isn't necessarily for the need of having them all on there at once, but for convenience. I fill my devices with as much music as they can fit not because I need all the songs with me at once, but more for convenience. Syncing a limited number of songs constantly tends to be a huge pain, so syncing a larger size less often is less annoying.

I'd prefer 16GB with a microSD slot or 32GB without the slot, but 8GB is (barely) tolerable.

(Though I do agree, I don't consider multimedia files a part of my 'data' but simply an extra.)

As for those new features McNamee mentions, I did notice them before the article was posted, but honestly it felt like slight exaggeration of features to me. Either way, it's not something that's all that useful for my needs anyway.
    Well of course its more convenient, no one will disagree or would have complained to have larger. But still in 8gb you can easily fit a few thousand songs plus a lot of other stuff. This isnt meant to be an ipod replacement its a smartphone first. i really dont have any data handy but Id guess the average consumer (consumer device here) really doesnt pack in 8gb of songs and movies. I think its more the more advanced smartphone users who do that, who are actually the minority of the target group, and need more than 8gb.

And coming from a Touch Pro i can tell you the disk drive mode that HTC uses (Pre uses a similar thing) transfers very very fast. This is not your old going through activesync that many are used to (unless youve used a Diamond or Pro), its going at a much higher data rate. A movie of about 500mb takes 20-30 seconds tops to transfer on. So figure you can drag and drop 100, 5mb avg songs in about 20-30 seconds.

Sometimes you just have to change you mindset and methods from the past into a new way of doing things if you truly want a Pre

http://www.precentral.net/new-featur...lendar-context everyone should watch this video it gives a good insight into Palm's mindset into this device. i think this quote sums up nice about the storage card issue "...itunes doesnt run people's live.." and its true. Music isnt what people are buying this device for, theyre buying an innovative smartphone with way more cool and new features than simply another 32gb music device.
    Last edited by klurfdawg23; 01/19/2009 at 03:33 PM.
    Since everyone is talking about movies, I have a question, how do I convert a DVD into something that I can play on my current 755p and then my Pre? What type of software do I need or which is the best to do this? I have tried to just copy stuff over before but it is write protected content.
    Movies ripped in h.264 at 480x320 are going to be small. You could fit tons of movies on 8GB.

Someone already posted about Orb. I use it with my Centro and it's great. I have access to everything when I need it.

With the Pre, it sounds like you can save to the device from the net, so you could easily log into Orb and download/stream whatever movie you want.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    8gb is plenty. The folks who'd even mess with micro cards are really in the small minority. I think apple has proven that people like simplicity.

If that isn't enough room to throw some movies or whatever on, then you're doing it wrong.

Still, even with the drag and drop method, i think palm is approaching it wrong. They really need an app that walks people through it like itunes. They have to keep in mind that people are generally stupid. I love the cloud approach, but i'm not sure why they can't have multiple approaches.

I picture the average consumer has someone with a blank look in his eye. He gets home with his device, stuggles to hook it up to the computer..and then thinks "now what?" and trained as he is, looks for the CD in the box.

"they said this was a hot phone, but how do i sync it?" he wonders. After a call to palm he ponders this drag and drop stuff they kept telling him about. "Is that a program" he wonders. After logging in to say how palm's customer service blows, he looks at his Pre again.

"aww screw it, i'm gonna go back to my iphone, at least it plays music and video" he thinks. He then wonders if he said that out loud.
    I don't believe the iPHone comes with a CD in the box, does it? I know for sure than no iPod comes with a CD. The typical consumer these days is more than capable of using the internet to download iTunes and sync it with his or her iPod. Why do you think the typical Pre buyer will be less capable.

Anyone who's ever hooked an iPod up to a computer to sync will be able to figure out how hook one end of the cable to a Pre, and the other to their computer.

And, you're making an assumption that there will be no App to sync music and video to the Pre. That isn't certain. Palm hasn't indicated how that might work. It's been reported elsewhere than when you plug the phone into a PC you're get a prompt with 3 options, one of which is to sync media with the Pre. That implies (but doesn't guarantee) an app to do so.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by sbrad425 View Post
    Since everyone is talking about movies, I have a question, how do I convert a DVD into something that I can play on my current 755p and then my Pre? What type of software do I need or which is the best to do this? I have tried to just copy stuff over before but it is write protected content.
    If you're talking about commercial DVDs, you can't do it legally. But if that's not a concern, take a look at www dot dvdnextcopy dot com slash pro dot aspx
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by klurfdawg23 View Post
    This isnt meant to be an ipod replacement its a smartphone first. ..... Music isnt what people are buying this device for, theyre buying an innovative smartphone with way more cool and new features than simply another 32gb music device.
    The problem is that many of us DO use our Treo's as our ipod. We got onto the Treo bandwagon because of "convergence".

Only one device to carry and only one to remember to charge.

I'm not going to carry two devices, and I'm not going to refresh my music every week.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Ditto! I have no iPod; I use my Treo for my music, and I'm obliged to carry around a corporate Blackberry, which is already one gadget too many for me. (seeing as how I have a Leatherman, eee 710, and 30x monocle in my bag anyway )
    No card is probably another indication of Rubenstein's status in this project. Unfortunately he's brought some undesirable Apple-isms with him.

It's not a real Palm smartphone without a memory card!

C'mon Ed exert yourself. (If Elevation will let you.)

With the size of the cards, I can't see space being a problem. (Tuck it away in the battery compartment if you like.) And surely the cost would be insignificant.

Maybe we will see it in the production model? I can always dream.
    Orb will probably be a good option. (I use it a lot for TV).

But I bet there will be steaming options for both movies and music. Something like Rhapsody and/or Netflix.

On a plane, most flights are just a few hours and you can load your Pre with enough music and movies to cover that time.
    Maybe I'm way off in this, but I remember not to long ago....wait, actually current...my centro, the newest palm os phone, has 68.8 mb of availiable free space on the device and I do believe a micro sd card slot that supports (according to palm) a 4gb card. So essentially I have a current device that supports 4.07 gigs of space....so why are people complaining about a new device with soooooo much improvement over the previous model ie wifi, bt2.0, 3mp camera with flash, gps, full multi touch screen, full physical keyboard, 3.5 headphone jack, multi tasking, great gui, AND 8GB's OF STORAGE! Am I missing something or do people always have to have something to complain about? Just my 2 cents worth....... oh, and I can't wait for the pre to come out :-0

Ken
    Quote Originally Posted by bakerman1 View Post
    Maybe I'm way off in this, but I remember not to long ago....wait, actually current...my centro, the newest palm os phone, has 68.8 mb of availiable free space on the device and I do believe a micro sd card slot that supports (according to palm) a 4gb card.
    Except microSD(HC) supports up to 16GB right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    I don't believe the iPHone comes with a CD in the box, does it? I know for sure than no iPod comes with a CD. The typical consumer these days is more than capable of using the internet to download iTunes and sync it with his or her iPod. Why do you think the typical Pre buyer will be less capable.

Anyone who's ever hooked an iPod up to a computer to sync will be able to figure out how hook one end of the cable to a Pre, and the other to their computer.

And, you're making an assumption that there will be no App to sync music and video to the Pre. That isn't certain. Palm hasn't indicated how that might work. It's been reported elsewhere than when you plug the phone into a PC you're get a prompt with 3 options, one of which is to sync media with the Pre. That implies (but doesn't guarantee) an app to do so.
    You completely missed my point. I know the iphone doesn't have a cd in the box. But people have been trained like monkeys to either put a cd on or just know to use itunes.

Nope, palm hasn't indicated other than drag and drop how you'll get media on it. But i still contend, the monkeys need an app. Just like they needed an app store. The monkeys are the target audience. Palm has to make it super easy and intuitive to use.

Obviously, if you've owned a palm, familiar with smartphones or browse these forums, you aren't who i'm talking about. We're already sold on the Pre for the most part But we're not the mainstream users they are after.
    Last edited by cardfan; 01/19/2009 at 07:04 PM.
    I bet if you add up all the internal storage of every Palm device up to the Pre it doesn't add up to 8 gig!
    Most consumers simply adapt to their device's capacity. The outliers who "need" 16GB do so because they have 16GB currently available. It's no different from Parkinson's law. If you give employees 8 hours to do a 4-hour job, they'll take 8 hours.

When the iPhone was released, people wanted it, so the lack of memory expansion was a non-issue -- even for consumers with 80GB iPods filled to capacity. They just put their most frequently played music into their iPhone, and swapped it out when necessary (i.e. as needed, not "every week").

The Pre's 8GB is frustrating for consumers desperate to keep up with the Joneses. The iPhone has a 16GB version, therefore the Pre must have 16GB. The Treo Pro has removable memory, therefore the Pre must have removable memory.

The Pre is one development cycle away from more/removable memory. Right now, Palm's priority is launching a whole new platform, not trying to address every possible use case.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast