Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Just read this article over here:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13526_3-10141045-27.html

He raises the point that a key part of the iPhones success has been the iPod and iTunes aspect...common consumers love music and portable music players...Apple absolutely streamlined this experience for the non geek....

I used to copy music over to my Treo 680...but it was always a somewhat clumsy experience to get it updated with newer podcasts/music...now with a 160gb Ipod Classic...combined with iTunes it has greatly simplified the way I can download and sync all manner of music and podcast...

The Palm Pre in many respects is an improvement on the iPhone....

..but in terms of mass market appeal how significant is an established world user base of iPod and iTunes users?

A streamlined..user friendly...music experience is a key component...yes the Palm Pre can do music...but will it do it as well?

What are your thoughts? And how important is the music?
    I dont think it will do music better than the iphone but it will be plenty good. I dont think it will do email better than the Blackberry but it will be plenty good. I think it will do everything else better than those devices.

Music is important to the iphone crowd. Its not *as* important to the pre market.
    Last edited by rc46; 01/18/2009 at 07:04 PM.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Now that non DRM's music is common place (including from iTunes), the Pre should be fine. According to specs, it will play non DRM mp4s, which is what iTunes files are. And there are already 3rd party apps that will let you load music from iTunes to non-Apple mp3 players. It even has a standard 3.5mm headphone jack, FINALLY!

It does remain to be seen how clean and easy to use the multi-media interface is.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    It does remain to be seen how clean and easy to use the multi-media interface is.
    Indeed - but as for transferring music, since it (unless Palm changes their minds) conforms to the mass USB storage standard, I'll just plug it in and press "sync" in WMP11 (well WMP12 by the time I get my hands on a GSM Pre).
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    I dont think it will do email better than the Blackberry but it will be plenty good.
    The Blackberry actually doesn't do email that well. Chattermail does a much better job and doesn't require an expensive BES account to keep your email in sync.
    I prefer drag-n-drop mass storage to iTunes' proprietary tagging. I like to be able to port my music between my laptop, desktop, keychain MP3 player and my smartphone. As long as the software is on par with pTunes and supports on-device playlist editing, I'll be fine with the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    The Blackberry actually doesn't do email that well. Chattermail does a much better job and doesn't require an expensive BES account to keep your email in sync.
    I actually agree with you but I bet we share the minority opinion.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    i don't think that Palm is targeting the same audience as Apple. I think if folks want a ipod with a phone shoehorned into it, they should get an iphone. If folks want something a little <<more>> they can look at a WebOS device.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    The thing I have loved about iTunes has been the integration with the store etc. Being a podcast fan I simply:

Search for potential Podcast in store (or on net)
    Press Subscribe
    Plug in Ipod...and away we go.

Previously I used the Juicer...I always had a lot messier experience trying to get the files onto my Treo 680 and Pocket Tunes...

Hopefully with the Pre I can set it to monitor the same folders iTunes uses and automatically bring these over....(assuming compatibility with file format)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavoz View Post
    The thing I have loved about iTunes has been the integration with the store etc. Being a podcast fan I simply:

Search for potential Podcast in store (or on net)
    Press Subscribe
    Plug in Ipod...and away we go.

Previously I used the Juicer...I always had a lot messier experience trying to get the files onto my Treo 680 and Pocket Tunes...

Hopefully with the Pre I can set it to monitor the same folders iTunes uses and automatically bring these over....(assuming compatibility with file format)
    Assuming your using Windows, that shouldn't be an issue. Like someone mentioned above, since its mounts as mass storage, you can just use Windows Media Player to sync, and WMP has backgroup monitoring of folders, so it should work well.
    Were there any posted screenshots of the music player? I don't remember seeing any...
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acs12798 View Post
    Assuming your using Windows, that shouldn't be an issue. Like someone mentioned above, since its mounts as mass storage, you can just use Windows Media Player to sync, and WMP has backgroup monitoring of folders, so it should work well.
    yeh that should certainly work...but I guess it also highlights the point the original article is making...

the iPod/iPhone iTunes combination just works without the need for any external application being involved...

for those of us reading this thread it's not really an issue..we're comfortable with setting up an external sync like this..

but for the average consumer they would find an all in one solution easier...ie. a Palm iTUnes equivalent that handles the entire process....

but then Palm may be pushing for doing this kind of thing separate of desktop computers...ie over the air...

but that still doesn't allow for things like our current music collections...

at present I've got 40gbs of music (personal CD's stored on PC)....40gbs of music is also going to fill up 8gb pretty quick!

But then an iPhone wouldn't handle that either...
    Except for neither of you are entirely correct. You don't need "an expensive BES account" to keep your mail in sync. You can set up IMAP through the included BIS option, and have it sync up. Also, if you have a Gmail account or a Google Apps business account, you can download the Google program for BlackBerry to have complete control over your email account.

Also, Chatter is a good program, but I found it to be full of bugs, and it sucked the life out of my Centro's already weak battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    Were there any posted screenshots of the music player? I don't remember seeing any...
    Besides the fact the videos all used the music player too, here:

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/photos...-tour/1273823/
    http://www.engadgetmobile.com/photos...-tour/1273828/
    http://www.engadgetmobile.com/photos...-tour/1273834/
    http://www.engadgetmobile.com/photos...-tour/1273829/
    Thanks. I've only been looking at content on this site, guess I should get out more.
    Count me in as part of that minority! I've never understood why people make such a big deal about Blackberry email. Maybe it's just because Blackberry was the first platform these people used for mobile email, and they never explored anything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    Except for neither of you are entirely correct. You don't need "an expensive BES account" to keep your mail in sync. You can set up IMAP through the included BIS option, and have it sync up. Also, if you have a Gmail account or a Google Apps business account, you can download the Google program for BlackBerry to have complete control over your email account.

Also, Chatter is a good program, but I found it to be full of bugs, and it sucked the life out of my Centro's already weak battery.
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $the$ $Blackberry$ $doesn$'$t$ $do$ $immediate$ $push$, $or$ $even$ $allow$ $you$ $to$ $adjust$ $the$ $frequency$ $of$ $sync$, $of$ $IMAP$ $accounts$. $Furthermore$, $it$ $doesn$'$t$ $display$ $HTML$ $email$ $very$ $well$. $And$ $ChatterEmail$ $for$ $me$ $is$ $almost$ $bug$-$free$. $It$ $does$ $use$ $up$ $battery$, $but$ $you$ $can$ $configure$ $it$ $to$ $be$ $more$ $conservative$. $Any$ $email$ $app$ $that$ $initiates$ $an$ $internet$ $connection$ $has$ $to$ $consume$ $some$ $battery$ $power$.
    I left Palm for Blackberry, but am not impressed at all, not with their email or UI. I can't wait to return to the NEW Palm.The BB gets me the email fast, but the rest is crap, I used Chatteremail and loved it much more than the BB.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavoz View Post
    yeh that should certainly work...but I guess it also highlights the point the original article is making...

the iPod/iPhone iTunes combination just works without the need for any external application being involved...

but for the average consumer they would find an all in one solution easier...ie. a Palm iTUnes equivalent that handles the entire process....
    I recall reading somewhere (and no, I'm not going to search for and provide a link) that when you plug the Pre in with a USB cable you're prompted for whether you want to go to mass storage mode or to sync multimedia. If that's accurate, it would imply a much simpler mechanism than copying files from the PC to the Pre.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    I recall reading somewhere (and no, I'm not going to search for and provide a link) that when you plug the Pre in with a USB cable you're prompted for whether you want to go to mass storage mode or to sync multimedia. If that's accurate, it would imply a much simpler mechanism than copying files from the PC to the Pre.
    I posted it, here: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=175694
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast