Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    People are too stupid. They need itunes or a like app. I'm not kidding. I got family and friends..i know these things..lol

To the other person that said palm isn't targeting apple's audience. Are you kidding? They're looking for exactly that and a bit more. And if they want the fat middle as people like to call it, then palm better provide an itunes like app as an option.
    Man I'm gonna be getting the best of both worlds like hannah montanah. I'll have the pre hopefully and I have a iPod touch 2g . So I don't care if the ore sucks at music.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavoz View Post
    Just read this article over here:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13526_3-10141045-27.html

He raises the point that a key part of the iPhones success has been the iPod and iTunes aspect...common consumers love music and portable music players...Apple absolutely streamlined this experience for the non geek....

I used to copy music over to my Treo 680...but it was always a somewhat clumsy experience to get it updated with newer podcasts/music...now with a 160gb Ipod Classic...combined with iTunes it has greatly simplified the way I can download and sync all manner of music and podcast...

The Palm Pre in many respects is an improvement on the iPhone....

..but in terms of mass market appeal how significant is an established world user base of iPod and iTunes users?

A streamlined..user friendly...music experience is a key component...yes the Palm Pre can do music...but will it do it as well?

What are your thoughts? And how important is the music?
    One thing that seemed, to me, to be missing, was a fast-forward/reverse option. Maybe that's just when music is playing in the background. I don't think we saw a dedicated music player (assuming there is a more robust app on the device) but it'd help if i could choose, not just which song I hear, but which part of the song.

It's not a full deal-breaker if this device doesn't come close to iPhone standards of music play, but it needs to be proficient at what it does. They'd be really smart, though, to approach Apple's level of convenience in this regard, though.

EDIT: You guys are making good points about people needing help to put music on their devices, but people even need help with iTunes. So, in the end, they need a bit of info AND someone to help them absorb it. That's largely on the user. Those not inclined to go that far are probably less likely to listen to music on a mobile device, anyway. If it's already ON the device, though, they'll get into that.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    I agree with that. Even with itunes, many need help.

I suppose what i mean is, i don't want an itunes like app to be required. I prefer the drag and drop. But think of drag and drop for advanced users.

When someone buys this device and gets it home, palm has to find some way to walk them through the easiest way to get media on this device. That should be by using an app and people are trained to death with wizards and playlists.

It shouldn't be "use windows media" or palm is missing the boat here. If their partnership is with Amazon, then team up with amazon for a tunes/media app. To be the official way to sync that media up..but not the ONLY way.

Besides, an app like that not only walks people through it, it steers them to amazon which is only good for palm and their partner. And required if you're to get people to VIEW the pre as a music/video device even remotely along the same lines as an iphone.

I like the cloud. The cloud is good. But don't sacrifice ease of use or how the majority of your market is still trained to use such devices. Not yet. Not if you want that "fat middle"

BTW...if palm came out with a nonphone Pre (with wifi) that had a built in sprint data connection with an optional sprint data plan ...say 20 a month...how would that grab you? Oh and more storage too. Think ipod touch with optional data plan. Or think PDA but marketed as something else like a multimedia player with organizer and access to the cloud.

Now i know palm probably won't do this and indicated they're not in the PDA market anymore...but what better way to signal that they are in the music/video player business (among other things)? And what better way to tell others that their phones are too? Because that's the hard part for palm...getting the mainstream to see the Pre as an entertainment device like the iphone.
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    but what better way to signal that they are in the music/video player business (among other things)? And what better way to tell others that their phones are too? Because that's the hard part for palm...getting the mainstream to see the Pre as an entertainment device like the iphone.

It's a hiding to nothing - they are then directly trying to take on Apple - something they keep saying they are trying to avoid. Unless they can serious compete on price, nobody is going to pick up a similar priced palm media player over a ipod.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12