Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    As a PALM Treo loyalist I am disappointed that Palm appears to have left off the IR port. I use my 700p to access the lockboxes. Without the IR port I'm going to have to carry a second device to access the lockbox. - might be worth it. Or I can get the BB storm which has an IR port.

Most the other shortcomings I could overlook. Though I'm still waiting to hear that I will have access to Excel, Word, Acrobat files and I liked Versa Mail for all my accounts. If the new mail system is better, I'm okay with that.

Voice / phone call recorder is a must have app. I even use it when the wife is rattling off her shopping list for me. I've got it when I get to the store and I can run though the list very quickly. I use it with clients and cooperating agents. We can run through the property and each party's issues without missing one. Nothing is forgotten latter (on my part) or written in shorthand and my clients are always amazed when I pull out my 700p and start recording their issues. They know I'm taking care of them in first class fashion. They know every detail will be remembered. They even help create the notes by talking up and adding to my recordings. I archive every message in their electronic files. When the transaction closes, they get a copy of everything on CD.

Most of us on the forums areahead of the crowd and on the cutting edge (I'm so tired of getting bloody out here), I do hope the sync issue isn't an issue again. I did not apprecaite Palm being late to market with Vista Drivers. Now I just ordered my first Vista 64 system. I hope that I'm not going to have more silly fits to a lack of drivers there too.

Aw heck, just add Vodka and call me a Bloody Mary

Minkx.
    Kyrocera 6035 >> Kyrocera 7035 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 700p ...
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Minkx View Post
    Most of us on the forums areahead of the crowd and on the cutting edge (I'm so tired of getting bloody out here), I do hope the sync issue isn't an issue again. I did not appreciate Palm being late to market with Vista Drivers. Now I just ordered my first Vista 64 system. I hope that I'm not going to have more silly fits to a lack of drivers there too.
    As far as we are aware there is no desktop sync (A third party apps might be developed - none announced so far) so drivers will not be an issue in that sense....
    Perhaps you should just get a Centro.
    I think 98% of users have no use for IR anymore. As stated earlier, my Centro has it, though!
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
  5. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    I think 98% of users have no use for IR anymore. As stated earlier, my Centro has it, though!
    Realtors' IR lockboxes could still be in use for years. They'll need to find some sort of solution other than carrying an extra gizmo just to open those.
    Now I just ordered my first Vista 64 system. I hope that I'm not going to have more silly fits to a lack of drivers there too.
    Palm doesn't sync at all with Vista 64 bit. Prepare for fits.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    As a Realtor myself, I'm actually glad that the IR was left off. It gives Supra and NAR one less way to extract cash from the agents.
    I actually advise fellow agents NOT to use their phones as their eKey and it's all because of this board. I tell them how many phones people go through, and ask them what they're going to do when their phone goes bad and they're wanting to open a house to show a client. You're not talking about carrying something large around, the eKey is only the size of a small beeper. The problem is that you have to update them every night. And like fwinst mentions, using your phone should actually be less expensive, but they charge more for the privilege.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
  9.    #9  
    The DisplayKey has been discontinued in our market and the new ActiveKey device is nearly as large as the Treo 700. It updates through cell phone technology. No more sync worries for the MLS, but it consumes its battery in a few days, so you have charge issues. Personally I'd just as soon keep the 700p. ASDGrant, I don't have anything nice to say about the Centro as a business device, 'nuf said.

CGK, some sync will no doubt be available. I did not mention desktop sync, nor am I anticipating an incremental shift from the Treo 700p to the Pre. I'm anticipating a paradigm shift. I'm just hoping that Vista 64 is included however we get our calendars & contacts sync'd. Otherwise, this isn't the smartphone I'll be looking at. If it does not sync with Outlook, it's not a business platform and all bets are off. My bet is that it will sync with Outlook 2007. And it will be a phenomenal device. I'm looking forward to reading the posts from the field as the device hits the market.

I like using one device for everything, including opening the lockboxes. I have never had issues with my phones that I couldn't correct by removing the battery and restarting the phone. I have dropped this one on its antenna 3 times with out any indication of a problem. I have been either one of the fortunate ones to get the good unit or my karma has been such that my phones just typically work(knocking on wood). I'm eager to see what the Pre will do for me. I''m very impressed with the marketing of the device. My fingers are crossed that this or something similar will take the place of my 700p and soon. It's feeling large, heavy and old.

Minkx
    The DisplayKey has been discontinued in our market and the new ActiveKey device is nearly as large as the Treo 700. It updates through cell phone technology. No more sync worries for the MLS, but it consumes its battery in a few days, so you have charge issues. Personally I'd just as soon keep the 700p. ASDGrant, I don't have anything nice to say about the Centro as a business device, 'nuf said.

CGK, some sync will no doubt be available. I did not mention desktop sync, nor am I anticipating an incremental shift from the Treo 700p to the Pre. I'm anticipating a paradigm shift. I'm just hoping that Vista 64 is included however we get our calendars & contacts sync'd. Otherwise, this isn't the smartphone I'll be looking at. If it does not sync with Outlook, it's not a business platform and all bets are off. My bet is that it will sync with Outlook 2007. And it will be a phenomenal device. I'm looking forward to reading the posts from the field as the device hits the market.

I like using one device for everything, including opening the lockboxes. I have never had issues with my phones that I couldn't correct by removing the battery and restarting the phone. I have dropped this one on its antenna 3 times with out any indication of a problem. I have been either one of the fortunate ones to get the good unit or my karma has been such that my phones just typically work(knocking on wood). I'm eager to see what the Pre will do for me. I''m very impressed with the marketing of the device. My fingers are crossed that this or something similar will take the place of my 700p and soon. It's feeling large, heavy and old.

Minkx
    Do you have actual experience with the Centro that leads you to conclude it is not suitable as a business device? What problem do you have with it, too fast? too stable, too small or too light?

The Pre will not sync directly with Outlook nor will it include any direct support for 64bit Vista. If you wish to sync a Pre with outlook, you will need Microsoft exchange. Several providers can set you up for about $10 a month.
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts

CGK, some sync will no doubt be available. I did not mention desktop sync, nor am I anticipating an incremental shift from the Treo 700p to the Pre. I'm anticipating a paradigm shift. I'm just hoping that Vista 64 is included however we get our calendars & contacts sync'd. x
    Unless we hear something different, the Pre only works one way when connected to a PC - USB Mass Storage mode - which (as far as I know) works fine with Vista 64.
    Can someone please eplain what in the world is a 'lockbox' and why is it limited to only being operated via IR?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    Can someone please eplain what in the world is a 'lockbox' and why is it limited to only being operated via IR?
    The standard lockbox is known as a Supra lockbox.

http://www.gesecurity.com/GESecurity...e/ibox_bro.pdf

It's what Realtors use to store the key on a home so other realtors can get into the home. It uses IR to point, put in your code and then the container with the key can be withdrawn. Everytime you open one a record is available showing who opened the home and when.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Unless we hear something different, the Pre only works one way when connected to a PC - USB Mass Storage mode - which (as far as I know) works fine with Vista 64.
    If Vista 64 didn't include USB mass storage drivers we would have probably heard something before now. MS would be more likely not to support the floppy disc.
    Maybe its an opportunity for some innovation from a 3rd party.
    Sounds like you want the treo pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    Palm doesn't sync at all with Vista 64 bit. Prepare for fits.
    It does - via Bluetooth.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Do you have actual experience with the Centro that leads you to conclude it is not suitable as a business device? What problem do you have with it, too fast? too stable, too small or too light?
    I usually act as techie for anyone who has an issue, though more recently I tend to offer more advice and less hands on for liability reasons (when it crashes, I don't want it in my hands).

I have not used the Centro, though a Realtor I work with has. The comments and discussions seem to suggest it is most appropriate for new smartphone users. Shorter battery life too. If the choice is my 700p v. the Centro, I'll stick with the 700p.

I'd like the functionality shown on the Pre along with the screen real estate and smaller form factor with, what appears to be, the 700 keyboard styling. The Centro seems like a step sideways rather than a shift forward. The design of the Treo worked and continues to work. The new design is the next evolution and I like what I see. I want it, IF it fulfills my requirements. I have been waiting a while for The Killer smartphone. I will never find my ideal device since I like Palm over Windows and I want OneNote Mobile!!!! Ha. So until I have a device that incorporates my business needs, I will stay with my faithful, fully functional, near perfect big old 700p.

Minkx
    Kyrocera 6035 >> Kyrocera 7035 >> Palm Treo 650 >> Palm Treo 700p
    II have not used the Centro, though a Realtor I work with has. The comments and discussions seem to suggest it is most appropriate for new smartphone users. Shorter battery life too. If the choice is my 700p v. the Centro, I'll stick with the 700p.
    Minkx
    Kyrocera 6035 >> Kyrocera 7035 >> Palm Treo 650 >> Palm Treo 700p
    Minkx,
    I am a realtor and if you look at the phones I've had, you'll see I have the Centro now. That happened because at the time I got the Mogul, someone on this board was asking to trade his like new Centro for a 755p. I had my 755 just sitting there waiting to sell on ebay so I figured I could help someone out on this board and give him what he wanted, and I would just as easily sell the Centro. Well, I didn't like the Mogul so all I had to go back to was the Centro. I have to tell you, I like it so much better than the 755 and it's gone over a year with no problems. It's smaller (much smaller than the 700p), faster and has a micro SD card instead of a mini. It does everything the 755p does, with no external antenna like my old 650 or your 700p.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast