1. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    On other platforms (definitely Windows Mobile, Symbian, some of Motorola's Linux efforts), the device can act as a business card scanner. On some of those others, it's preloaded on the device; I'm hoping that it'll be possible to add this capability to the Pre. I'm thinking that this is particularly relevant for the Pre as there's no desktop sync.

I'd held out for this on Garnet and wasn't sure if it could happen, technically speaking. Looking at the Pre, my hunch is probably it can.

As an example: you're talking with someone you just met for the first time, who hands you a business card. Let's suppose this is a prospective client for you and you want to follow up with what you can offer him/her.

Now... you want to get all of that person's contact info into your device quickly and seamlessly. You don't want to have to type in everything (suppose that this is one of many business cards you have to enter). The client just has a basic cell phone, so saying "email me your contact info" is inefficient. You don't want to just search for him/her on a service like Facebook or LinkedIn because 1) you then have to wait for him/her to take action and 2) he/she may not be on those services. Waiting to get back to the office and upload the info through a desk-based business card scanner (e.g. CardScan) will take a while. If this client calls today, you want to know who it is and take the call. The most efficient solution--business card scanning software.

I had emailed SplashData about this, since 1) they bought Snap (formerly Slap) from HandsHigh, which would properly arrange the data post-OCR. I'm waiting to hear back on it. Anyone else have any other thoughts?
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    This is... familar to me - someone here mentioned an interview with a company that did that sort of thing and they said that the Pre's camera was too low-grade (or something) to do that.

Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    This is... familar to me - someone here mentioned an interview with a company that did that sort of thing and they said that the Pre's camera was too low-grade (or something) to do that.

Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?
    Wasn't that in reference to a barcode scanning app?
    Yeah, it was in reference to a barcode application.

HP has a program like this for their webcams. In the 2710p and 2730p tablets (in addition to other laptops possibly?) the camera is in the center top portion of the bezel. You put the business card in a slot on the bottom outside edge of it, and then close the laptop until a light comes on (I think like 2-4 inches away from the card) and it takes a picture of the card, and runs OCR on it. I ended up going with a different computer, so I haven't ever tried it personally, but from what I understand it works pretty well.

I would think if it can work on a 2 megapixel webcam it can work on a 3 megapixel cameraphone, but I don't know for sure.

Edit: Apparently the HP does have a macro lens on their webcams, so maybe it wouldn't work.
  5. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Apparently the HP does have a macro lens on their webcams, so maybe it wouldn't work.
    Some of the other platforms do use a macro mode for the camera. Someone said somewhere that the Pre's camera is supposed to adjust based on software (I think), so I'm hoping that a developer could tap into that functionality.