Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    JavaScript and HTML are web browser development tools. Whatever lower level funtionality Palm are planning to expose, they do not appear to be planning to provide a real programming language to access them.
    There's a difference between "tools" and "APIs." And define "real." There are millions of applications written in higher-level languages than C.

As I said elsewhere, if DataViz can provide Word and Excel clones, then it possible to develop pretty sophisticated apps using the tools Palm is providing. Palm has said, I believe, that all of the PIM apps are written using the standard dev environment. Looking at what we can see of those apps, I'm not worried that the development platform will be too limiting for the vast majority of applications. It wouldn't surprise me if Palm hasn't provided an API to get to the 3D functions of the TI chipset.

Excel & Word are not Database applications. As for striking a nerve, the SDK for the Pre is clearly one of its weak points, describing the iPhone OS as a POS in comparison is ill informed at best.
    I beg to differ. Excel is, in fact, a database. Not the most sophisticated one, it's true, but at least as sophisticated as most of those I've seen for Palm OS. And Palm has said the data store on the Pre is a SQL database. It would be trivial to provide API calls so that applications can use that data store.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    There's a difference between "tools" and "APIs." And define "real." There are millions of applications written in higher-level languages than C.

As I said elsewhere, if DataViz can provide Word and Excel clones, then it possible to develop pretty sophisticated apps using the tools Palm is providing. Palm has said, I believe, that all of the PIM apps are written using the standard dev environment. Looking at what we can see of those apps, I'm not worried that the development platform will be too limiting for the vast majority of applications. It wouldn't surprise me if Palm hasn't provided an API to get to the 3D functions of the TI chipset.

I beg to differ. Excel is, in fact, a database. Not the most sophisticated one, it's true, but at least as sophisticated as most of those I've seen for Palm OS. And Palm has said the data store on the Pre is a SQL database. It would be trivial to provide API calls so that applications can use that data store.
    Ok, since you asked, my definition of a 'real' programming language would be a language with a type system, a way to build libraries and support for fundamental OO concepts such as inheritance, abstraction and encapsulation. Examples would be Java, C#, C++ or Objective C. Straight C is a little antiquated these days and I would favor Java over C++ for phone apps.

Its true that some people have used Excel as a database but that is not what its intended use is.

Finally, Dataviz has not said what they will be doing on the WebOS platform. Their comment to Palm Info Center:

"We are thrilled by the amount of positive press this announcement has received as we are a long-time supporter and partner of Palm. At the current time, DataViz is not able to comment or respond to the questions you included in your email... I thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding this exciting announcement and I will be in touch with you in the near future to discuss this further!"

Tealsoft's comment was:

"Regarding the HTML/CSS/Javascript basis for WebOS development, this is not particularly appealing to us as we do not program extensively in those technologies. Furthermore, TealPoint has an extensive body of existing code previously written in 'c' for the PalmOS, Windows Mobile, and Foleo platforms, and it would be a great loss to have to abandon all this to rewrite code from scratch."

And finally Normsoft:

"Our applications have always relied on the ability to run native code on the device. For example, adding WMA support (like we do with Pocket Tunes on the Palm and iPhone) is simply not something you can do in a scripting language like Javascript or Java. So Palm's decision to go with HTML/CSS/Javascript will certainly restrict the number of things that can be done on the phone. That said, most developers don't need that level of access. If Palm is being truthful that all their apps are written using their own SDK, then it seems to be a capable environment."

I have to disagree with their comment though. Java is not a scripting language though it may not be fast enough to write a codec in.
    The developer of Chattermail (a leading PalmOS app) has announced he is developing for Android now and one of the reasons he gave was the inadequate SDK.

That right there, is a very juicy tidbit

If true could be a major warning sign.

I was out of line with my remark about the iphone OS. My apologies. Its just that I got a ipod touch for Christmas and I have been less than impressed with OS on the touch.

I really want the Pre to be Robust with awesome powerful apps. If not I will be cursed to have to live with WM
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12