1.    #1  
    As I sit here installing the latest Sprint 755p firmware update, I'm wondering how future Pre firmware updates will be handled. Doing an OTA firmware update, and potentially losing signal halfway through it, clearly won't work. I presume the Pre's USB connection will be invoked for upgrades. Has anybody commented on that elsewhere?
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    In the interview thePalm folks did say its all going to be over the air.
    Same as when upgrade the bios of your computer, I suppose. You don't do the actual upgrade OTA, you d/l first and the install so that you don't have to worry about losing signal. I wouldn't worry about this.
    Nah, I think it'll be over the air, that way the customers get the update the quickest and more efficient.

--James
    I wouldn't anticipate any issues either doing the firmware updates OTA.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    Nah, I think it'll be over the air, that way the customers get the update the quickest and more efficient.

--James
    Allie did state this already. Just explained that it's DOWNLOADED OTA, then once the file download has been completed, the firmware update initializes and does its thing.
    Oh. I read it wrong, I guess. Thought she meant to a PC and then to the device.

--James
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    Allie did state this already. Just explained that it's DOWNLOADED OTA, then once the file download has been completed, the firmware update initializes and does its thing.
    Ahhh. Now that would make the most sense, if do-able.
  9. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BaDZeD View Post
    In the interview thePalm folks did say its all going to be over the air.
    Which interview? (I've seen/read all the ones I can find, and I don't recall any mention of updates.)

That said, OTA as an update method is very competitive and a good fit. Look at how often Apple has released iPhone/iPod Touch updates through iTunes (compared to Garnet, WinMob or other older platforms). Since Palm is building the webOS-specific ecosystem from scratch and moving away from the desktop-based approach, OTA seems to be the clear-cut choice.

That said, Palm also needs to be sure it's secure.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    This one

The very last question T|C pops in the last 15 seconds or so
    It makes sense for a linux system to update OTA since most of them have a package manager of one sort or another that is specifically designed to do that exact thing. Android is also OTA for example.