Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    As a stop gap measure, we could use a USB Flash Drive for massive music, video, and picture storage.

Anyone know of a USB drive with a right angle USB plug?
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    although linux generally can recognize usb mass storage devices, it is unknown whether or not (most likely not) palm has included this with webos
  3. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    As a stop gap measure, we could use a USB Flash Drive for massive music, video, and picture storage.

Sorry I don't understand what you mean? You mean store it on a flash drive and then plug that directly into the Pre to transfer media backwards and forwards. This is something I know next to nothing about - but talking to those who *do* that wouldn't work because the USB mass storage standard only works as a slave (anyone - right?)
    And you would need a USB-to-microUSB converter. I was thinking about this as a work-around. I hope its plausible!
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SedahDrol View Post
    although linux generally can recognize usb mass storage devices, it is unknown whether or not (most likely not) palm has included this with webos
    So can windows, it's been a standard feature for years (as has the ability for windows mobile 6 devices to act as mass storage devices).

Put simply, you cannot plug in and access a USB drive from the Pre, but it is able to act as USB drive itself.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Put simply, you cannot plug in and access a USB drive from the Pre, but it is able to act as USB drive itself.
    Seems like a flash drive should work on a Pre.

Guess we'll have to wait to find out on this one.
    Tom
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Sorry I don't understand what you mean? You mean store it on a flash drive and then plug that directly into the Pre to transfer media backwards and forwards. This is something I know next to nothing about - but talking to those who *do* that wouldn't work because the USB mass storage standard only works as a slave (anyone - right?)
    What I'm hoping is that a flash drive can plug into a Pre and sub for a storage card. If it had a MicroUSB plug that could wrap around to the back then whala LOTA storage.
    Tom
    Seems like a flash drive should work on a Pre.

Guess we'll have to wait to find out on this one.
    Do you know of any other smartphone that can do this?
    Typically you need a USB host controller to talk to a USB flash drive, and USB chipsets in devices such as mobile phones don't have controllers built into them.

However, there's a new standard (USB OTG) for direct device-to-device USB communication without using a USB host controller. The TI OMAP 3430 has this built into the chipset, so in theory it is possible, probably requires driver support though.

I'm not aware of any phones that currently support this.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post

I'm not aware of any phones that currently support this.
    There are several phones that support this... just not many current ones. The Palm 800w is one, however. The TI and Qualcomm chipsets all support this feature (USB host mode) but carriers and hand-set manufacturers don't enable it as they feel they lose control over us. We need to yell LOUDLY that we need this feature.

Yes, you need drivers, also, but they are readily available (but will we be able to easily install them if they are not included). I would assume it's easy to add apps, but you never know...