1.    #1  
    The majority of my smartphone time is spent reading news articles, mostly via rss reader but some web too. Is there a gesture in the Pre (gesture bar) for page down?

Did anyone catch this on any demos? How does the iPhone do it?
    Last edited by galavanter; 01/16/2009 at 04:12 PM.
    Don't you just flick the screen up to scroll down?
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
    The majority of my smartphone time is spent reading news articles, mostly via rss reader but some web too. Is there a gesture in the Pre (gesture bar) for page down?

I think there should be a gesture allow the user to move to the next or previous "card" without going into the deck of card view. Similarly, a gesture to close the current card would also be nice.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    Don't you just flick the screen up to scroll down?
    Yes but I was asking about page down, one exact page increment at a time.

Actually, after skimming the keynote address yet again, Matias Duarte (the man behind the card metaphor) performs page down while in landscape mode by flicking in the gesture area. Cool.

I'm still wondering how iPhone does this?
  5.    #5  
    It took a while to find this but as of July 07 a double tap above the tool bar in Safari was the iPhones page down. The Pre's simple swipe in the gesture area wins for me. It never obscures what you are reading.

Now I'm wondering if the Pre has double tap to zoom in like the iPhone, or just multitouch expand maneuvers. That's all I remember seeing MD perform...
    Double Tap to Zoom is indeed present as well as the multitouch expand. I just watched several videos again today... for like the fifth time. It's there....
    Quote Originally Posted by galavanter View Post

Yeah, if you want to page up or down one page at a time, simply use the gesture area and it will do that for you. Err, while in landscape mode at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    ...I just watched several videos again today... for like the fifth time.....
    Wow! I guess I am slacking...
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    Double Tap to Zoom is indeed present as well as the multitouch expand. I just watched several videos again today... for like the fifth time. It's there....
    I have to admit each time I see a video I get more impressed. But I am still having a hard time getting past the no sync capabilitie for Outlook and SplashID. Who knows, I may get over it but right now I doubt it.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
  10.    #10  
    Ha I had the same thought but let's hope for the best. Should make for a very enjoyable browsing experience.

Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    Err, while in landscape mode at least.
  11.    #11  
    Man it sure was a chore navigating and entering the previous mssg on my BB Flip at work last night. Darth thanks.

I don't have but two weeks experience with a touchscreen (iphone upon release) but my simple questions are due to a keen interest in the Pre's UI.

Part of it is what one reads about Apple's patents, blah, blah, blah. I also haven't had the chance to play with other recent touch screens to see what they have borrowed from Apple.

The utter simplicity of this thing, wow. No save, no close, wow again.
    Last edited by galavanter; 01/17/2009 at 11:05 AM.
    I think the little questions like these are the most important. A lot of the major stuff has been covered a bit overboard... however, the little things about moving back and forward and so forth can be easily missed in the barrage of videos out there.

The idea of asking these questions only helps us make the decision further for a purchase down the line.