Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    A lot of people are wondering why Palm are playing up the prosumer angle so hard for this new device, I'd argue the following is (part) of the reason why:

Apple announced Friday that over 500 million apps have been downloaded from its App Store. Amazingly, the company only reached 300 million downloads on December 5, meaning its App Store has enjoyed accelerating growth since the holiday season. The announcement, which was made in the form of an advertisement on Apple's home page, also claims that the App Store now features more than 15,000 apps.
    http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/16/a...-thanks-ifart/

This is a store that has been open for six months. Now we don't know how many of those are free and how many are paid but it's still a staggering number. Is the Palm store going to hit 500 million in six months? - of course not, but as a model and an example, if they can hit only a fraction of that they will be very pleased.

If you are interested to see what Apple users are actually downloading - you can find it here:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-10144326-2.html

Productivity is out, fun is in.
    Last edited by CGK; 01/16/2009 at 02:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    A lot of people are wondering why Palm are playing up the prosumer angle so hard for this new device, I'd argue the following is (part) of the reason why:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/16/a...-thanks-ifart/

This is a store that has been open for six months. Now we don't know how many of those are free and how many are paid but it's still a staggering number. Is the Palm store going to hit 500 million in six months? - of course not, but as a model and an example, if they can hit only a fraction of that they will be very pleased.

If you are interested to see what Apple users are actually downloading - you can find it here:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/appstore/

Productivity is out, fun is in.
    The app store is the best part of the iphone (in my opinion). I love downloading apps directly to the device.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    You do know that Gizmodo chart is just a joke? There are some awesome apps available in the app store
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    You do know that Gizmodo chart is just a joke? There are some awesome apps available in the app store
    but it's sooooo true. What app is actually useful? lol iBoobs?
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by machx View Post

But why should apple care?
    ...clip... What app is actually useful? lol iBoobs?
    I saw that
    Just call me Berd.
    You do know that Gizmodo chart is just a joke? ...clip..
    But we like to look at charts & graphs
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    i would guess 80% are free apps.... not that there is anything wrong with that. its doing wonders to "enhance" the phone/ipod and adding more features.
    ROTFLMAOUMSH

So true. I had dinner with my dad recently, who has an iPhone, and of course he talked about 2 apps that happen to be on that list (flashlight and fart app).
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    But why should apple care?
    I came from a Treo to Windows Mobile to Iphone to Windows Mobile. If Palm gets this right, they could beat Android and Apple hands down. They've combined everything from all of them. Stability/Power of Linux, Elegance of Apple, Total control of Windows Mobile. They even have the app launcher which looks just like TF3D.

Just saying, the App store is marketed as such a revolutionary thing, but to me it is a complete joke. I can picture a Saturday Night Live skit where a bunch of nerds are sitting around a table downloading useless garbage saying how revolutionary Apple is.

500 million apps... you're going to tell me more than 1% are actually useful in every day life? Sorry but no. Computers don't even have that many useful apps no less a cell phone...

All Apple did is make what already was there for 10 years or more mainstream by doing what they do with everything - making it pretty and trendy.

Apple did the world service by introducing kids adults and the elderly to smartphones. That's all. Their apps are garbage, ATT is garbage, and so is the stupid phone I speak from experience.

the above is my ever so HUMBLE opinion
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jagowar View Post
    i would guess 80% are free apps.... not that there is anything wrong with that. its doing wonders to "enhance" the phone/ipod and adding more features.
    I gotta say, iBeer was just a revolutionary user experience when I had my iPhone. That was the last thing that made me want to cling to it despite my $150 monthly bill for the same thing I get on Sprint for $30 with better service and faster data along with laptop tethering
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    The biggest win for palm is if they release an emulator. Apple will never see that unless you unlock it.

That will be the pisser
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Damn - I've just had an idea for a palm app that is a) completely useless , b) vaguely offensive and c) likely to sell quite well....

<goes off to sign up for the SDK>.
    How bout these......

1. Omnifocus. An incredible task management application that has a OSX desktop component. I can sync data back and forth wirelessly.
    2. SplashID. Storing sensitive passwords and account information. Syncs wirelessly with desktop application
    3. Evernote. A note taking application (think outlook notes). Syncs with the Evernote "cloud". Has both a pc and osX desktop app.
    4. Note2Self. I use this program to take voice notes. After completed it can email them to myself or somebody else. It auto activates when I lift the phone to my mouth. Next version will transcribe voice to text.
    5. MLB. Official app from major league baseball. During the season it streams scores and allows me to watch in game highlights right after they happen.
    6.Shazaam. Hear a song on the radio (or anywhere else) that you dont know the name. Launch this program and it will tell you and allow you to even tag it for itunes purchase.
    7. SimCity. Got to have some fun every now and then. Awesome game.

Honourable mentions.....Chase banking app, AP Mobile news app, ebay and paypal app, X-Plane flight simulator, Google voice activated search. Amazon app that allows me to take a picture of somthing and Amazon will tell me if they sell it and for how much
    If you go to the app store the number 1 best seller of all time is ifart!

There are some real power users buying those iphones.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    How bout these......

1. Omnifocus. An incredible task management application that has a OSX desktop component. I can sync data back and forth wirelessly.
    2. SplashID. Storing sensitive passwords and account information. Syncs wirelessly with desktop application
    3. Evernote. A note taking application (think outlook notes). Syncs with the Evernote "cloud". Has both a pc and osX desktop app.
    4. Note2Self. I use this program to take voice notes. After completed it can email them to myself or somebody else. It auto activates when I lift the phone to my mouth. Next version will transcribe voice to text.
    5. MLB. Official app from major league baseball. During the season it streams scores and allows me to watch in game highlights right after they happen.
    6.Shazaam. Hear a song on the radio (or anywhere else) that you dont know the name. Launch this program and it will tell you and allow you to even tag it for itunes purchase.

Honourable mentions.....Chase banking app, AP Mobile news app, ebay and paypal app, X-Plane flight simulator, Google voice activated search. Amazon app that allows me to take a picture of somthing and Amazon will tell me if they sell it and for how much
    All of those are available on Windows Mobile except the first one. Not only that but the feature set is more robust on Windows Mobile. I do have to admit that they look very pretty on a iphone though.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Weren't there a load of freeware Flashlight and Mirror apps for PalmOS around '99 and '00?
    How bout these......

Some of those apps are cool.

if productivity on the iphone is to catch on, I really think they will need a full scale PIM. The above apps are cool, but.....
    Pocket Informant is on its way, so THAT should be interesting.
    How bout these......

How about:

Notes Sync ... No
    Tasks ... No
    Documents ... No
    Spreadsheets ... No
    GPS Navigation ... No
    Stereo BlueTooth ... No
    Copy and Paste ... No
    MMS ... No
    SD Card ... No
    Extra Battery ... No
    Video Camera ... No
    Multitasking ... No

When the iPhone was introduced, I was so excited with its revolutionary form factor and user interface. I wanted one very badly, but I use my smartphone heavily for both productivity and entertainment. I kept hoping that Apple would update it to fix the missing functionality that is included in smartphones (e.g., Treo, BlackBerry, WinMo), but sadly, two years later, the iPhone remains nothing more than a pretty toy. Even the app store is pitiful compared to the plethora of useful apps available for smartphones.

When (if?) it is upgraded to include the basics, it will be worthy to be called a smartphone, and be discussed along side Treo, BlackBerry, and WinMo. Perhaps the absence of Steve Jobs and the presence of the Palm Pre will finally spur Apple into action.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast