Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    Again like mobileman says there are some good third party PIM apps (tasks and notes at least, the built-in calendar and contact apps are actually not too bad) but I agree 100% about real nav apps. A the lack of a turn-by-tun, voice prompted, rerouting, screen reorienting nav app is the probably my number one complaint about the iPhone, more significant even than the multi-tasking limitations (although it's very possible the two causally are related).
    If we are talking GPS turn by turn - is this Palm's own app or someone else's rebranded?

Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    If we are talking GPS turn by turn - is this Palm's own app or someone else's rebranded?

I believe that's the Sprint Navigation software (Telenav).
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    I believe that's the Sprint Navigation software (Telenav).
    Not Sprint but WebOS TeleNav Navigation software. Remember Pre Keynote wasn't Sprint Pre keynote. It seems to be a real navigation solution, not like Google Maps one
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Not Sprint but WebOS TeleNav Navigation software. Remember Pre Keynote wasn't Sprint Pre keynote. It seems to be a real navigation solution, not like Google Maps one
    Good point, it's unbranded right now. The carriers will offer their own fee-based service to go with the software and likely brand it then.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Well, I have a Simply Everthing plan, and it includes Sprint Telenav. So I don't expect that to change just because they added a new phone to their line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    Well, I have a Simply Everthing plan, and it includes Sprint Telenav. So I don't expect that to change just because they added a new phone to their line.
    Ok, put the Sprint logo right now... it doesn't matters.
  7. Me2
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    Quote:
    Some of those apps are cool.

if productivity on the iphone is to catch on, I really think they will need a full scale PIM. The above apps are cool, but.....
    Pocket Informant is on its way, so THAT should be interesting.[/SIZE]

I will purchase Pocket Informant the first day it is released. Back in my WM days, I was a big fan. It looks really good. It also syncs with the Google cloud.
    PI is just another example of how the iPhone is just a toy and is pants for serious use. Apple won't let 3rd party software access the built in Calendar so WEBIS had to implement a 3rd party server sync solution. Which means that people who keep work appointments in their diary (what else is it for?) can't integrate easiliy with 3rd party PIMs or if they do, may find themselves in breach of corporate security and data protection policies. At least the Pre promises direct Outlook and Exchange support without need for someone elses cloud.
    Quote Originally Posted by Me2 View Post
    PI is just another example of how the iPhone is just a toy and is pants for serious use. Apple won't let 3rd party software access the built in Calendar so WEBIS had to implement a 3rd party server sync solution. Which means that people who keep work appointments in their diary (what else is it for?) can't integrate easiliy with 3rd party PIMs or if they do, may find themselves in breach of corporate security and data protection policies. At least the Pre promises direct Outlook and Exchange support without need for someone elses cloud.
    Very good point.
    I hadn't realized PI couldn't interface with the built-in date.
    Well...there wen't my consideration of the iPhone out the window.
    Maybe I would get an iPod touch to play games,.......
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Has anyone ever considered that maybe people might find buying SD cards somewhat confusing? There's a vast number of brands out there, various sizes and various types (Class 2/4/6? What?) and I wouldn't be surprised if some people were wishing that they could just be provided a set amount of storage and not have to think about it. I like having removeable storage, as do most people here, but we're not exactly typical. Is it likely to be a huge factor? Possibly not. But I would guess that it is a factor for some.

Anyway, just adding more speculation to the pool
    So we are seeing the iphone is most capable as a multimedia phone...

And the Blackberry is most capable as a business phone..

Neither does the other very well on its own and requires third party software. Both phones do allow third party software but can be very limited in the support.

This is like saying you can buy a economy car or a luxury car... They both do their thing well but not the others. You can add luxury to a economy car and you can add mileage to a luxury car.. But its generally not cheap and its not what that car was made for...

It sounds like the Pre is more of a power user application... You get the best of both worlds. But as a multimedia giant or as a business wizard you will find things lacking. The biggest thing here that has everyone excited I think is the fact that there is NO reason to believe you can't EASILY expand the Pre into doing both very well and doing so easily.

If the phone is advertised well and developers back it up well and it is priced well you could see Apple going back to niche market status at best. The pre could actually do some serious damage to the blackberry if they come out with some other form factors and advertise it well as well. However I think you will see the pre kill off the iphone much quicker then eroding the BB base by much.

We shall see what the future holds.. We actually have to get the phone in our hands first but linux has been pretty robust for a while and this should be the first real use of it in a universally consumer market.
    Quote Originally Posted by rulk View Post
    It sounds like the Pre is more of a power user application... You get the best of both worlds. But as a multimedia giant or as a business wizard you will find things lacking. The biggest thing here that has everyone excited I think is the fact that there is NO reason to believe you can't EASILY expand the Pre into doing both very well and doing so easily.

If the phone is advertised well and developers back it up well and it is priced well you could see Apple going back to niche market status at best.
    Heck of a statement to make when you never even touched the Pre yet, and you already have proclaimed it better than the iPhone and Blackberry.

As for Apple going back to the niche market status; I'm sure Palm would be thrilled to get 1/4 of the sales of the iPhone. I think its Palm that might have to worry about niche status.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Heck of a statement to make when you never even touched the Pre yet, and you already have proclaimed it better than the iPhone and Blackberry.

As for Apple going back to the niche market status; I'm sure Palm would be thrilled to get 1/4 of the sales of the iPhone. I think its Palm that might have to worry about niche status.
    ehh, iphone won't go to nich status.
    They are getting a huge amount of folks switching form Feature Phones to the iphone (which is really a super advanced feature phone itself)
    There is room for all the platforms to flourish.
    Quote Originally Posted by rulk View Post
    The biggest thing here that has everyone excited I think is the fact that there is NO reason to believe you can't EASILY expand the Pre into doing both very well and doing so easily.
    Well, the Pre appears to have YOU excited, at least. I'm still a little fuzzy on the "EASILY expand" part. Are you saying that holding the Pre will make us all ingenious software designers or are you saying the Pre will know what we want and will create it for us?

If the phone is advertised well and developers back it up well and it is priced well you could see Apple going back to niche market status at best. The pre could actually do some serious damage to the blackberry if they come out with some other form factors and advertise it well as well.
    Excellent. You've covered:
    1. If advertised well.
    2. If backed well by developers.
    3. If priced well.
    4. If it comes in multiple form factors.

You should add:
    5. If it works as advertised (not a lot of hands on reviews out there yet).
    6. If functional in a real world setting (no real world reviews yet).
    7. If accessible/available (not available yet - no definitive word on availability yet).

Oh and don't forget:
    8. If Apple suddenly stops innovating (LOL).
    9. If Apple doesn't sue Palm's socks off (uh-oh).
    10. If RIM stops innovating (LOL).

...then what you posted has a small chance of coming true. Still, I think my 10 "ifs" make your scenario highly unlikely. Since Palm has let these other two highly innovative companies get a 2 year running head start on them, Palm's chances of a real market success are are pretty low. Catch up is a very tough game to play in this industry - ask Motorola.
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    ...then what you posted has a small chance of coming true. Still, I think my 10 "ifs" make your scenario highly unlikely. Since Palm has let these other two highly innovative companies get a 2 year running head start on them, Palm's chances of a real market success are are pretty low. Catch up is a very tough game to play in this industry - ask Motorola.
    Palm needs to capture 1% of the market to triple their revenues, it's not hard to do in a expanding marketplace - I think people forget what a tinpot joke of an organisation Palm had become. They aren't planning to take on iphone or rim - different market segments.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Palm needs to capture 1% of the market to triple their revenues, it's not hard to do in a expanding marketplace - I think people forget what a tinpot joke of an organisation Palm had become. They aren't planning to take on iphone or rim - different market segments.
    1% of which market? The cell phone market? The PDA/Smartphone market? It makes a big difference.

While I agree Blackberries and iPhones are different from each other and the Pre, all three of those phones are going after the same markets. Have you noticed how RIM is adding a lot more entertainment features to its business phones? Have you noticed how the iPhone 3G added a bunch of new business features over the original iPhone? Have you noticed that the Pre attempts to have a healthy mix of business and entertainment features? All three of these product lines are significantly overlapped when it comes to target market segment. No way to avoid it, the Pre is competing with the iPhone and the Blackberry.
  16. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    1% of which market? The cell phone market? The PDA/Smartphone market? It makes a big difference.

While I agree Blackberries and iPhones are different from each other and the Pre, all three of those phones are going after the same markets. Have you noticed how RIM is adding a lot more entertainment features to its business phones? Have you noticed how the iPhone 3G added a bunch of new business features over the original iPhone? Have you noticed that the Pre attempts to have a healthy mix of business and entertainment features? All three of these product lines are significantly overlapped when it comes to target market segment. No way to avoid it, the Pre is competing with the iPhone and the Blackberry.
    1% of the smartphone business - if the people at palm aren't capable of that then they should pack up and go home.
    Of course they're competing with the iphones and BBs. And they'll gain a share of their markets as well.

There aren't any capacitive touch screen competitors especially on a cheaper, faster, better quality network. Me thinks this will have some appeal.

Don't forget Palm has succeeded in turning the major review sites onto them bigtime. They were the redheaded stepchild for the longest time constantly getting beat up. Now they're lining up and gushing for the latest Pre updates. Engadget (some called it iGadget for awhile) is falling all over themselves. CNET rewarded them best of CES.

This is huge for Palm. They couldn't ask for a better re-start considering where they were. I only hope they got better marketing lined up than in the past but we do know Sprint is throwing everything they got behind em. Sprint was really aggressive vs the iphone with the Instinct but we all know the Instinct was a piece of crap. I wonder how aggressive they'll be now?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123