Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    All of those are available on Windows Mobile except the first one. Not only that but the feature set is more robust on Windows Mobile. I do have to admit that they look very pretty on a iphone though.
    Never said they weren't. Though delivery of those apps to a WM device is nowhere near as good as on the iPhone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob G View Post
    How about:

Notes Sync ... No
    Tasks ... No
    Documents ... No
    Spreadsheets ... No
    GPS Navigation ... No
    Stereo BlueTooth ... No
    Copy and Paste ... No
    MMS ... No
    SD Card ... No
    Extra Battery ... No
    Video Camera ... No
    Multitasking ... No

When the iPhone was introduced, I was so excited with its revolutionary form factor and user interface. I wanted one very badly, but I use my smartphone heavily for both productivity and entertainment. I kept hoping that Apple would update it to fix the missing functionality that is included in smartphones (e.g., Treo, BlackBerry, WinMo), but sadly, two years later, the iPhone remains nothing more than a pretty toy. Even the app store is pitiful compared to the plethora of useful apps available for smartphones.

When (if?) it is upgraded to include the basics, it will be worthy to be called a smartphone, and be discussed along side Treo, BlackBerry, and WinMo. Perhaps the absence of Steve Jobs and the presence of the Palm Pre will finally spur Apple into action.
    I don't know if I think Apple is looking to capture the Real Smartphone market. It really is a multimedia device (the best one out there)
    So in that light, MMS, SD, Stereo Bluetooth and Video recording would be the only ones they really need to focus on.
    I does have GPS just not turn by turn GPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Never said they weren't. Though delivery of those apps to a WM device is nowhere near as good as on the iPhone.
    Installing WM software is a nightmare at best. Even installing DOS 2.11 software was easier.....
    Quote Originally Posted by solar_plexus View Post
    Some of those apps are cool.

if productivity on the iphone is to catch on, I really think they will need a full scale PIM. The above apps are cool, but.....
    Pocket Informant is on its way, so THAT should be interesting.
    I will purchase Pocket Informant the first day it is released. Back in my WM days, I was a big fan. It looks really good. It also syncs with the Google cloud.
    How about:

Notes Sync ... No
    Tasks ... No
    Documents ... No
    Spreadsheets ... No
    GPS Navigation ... No
    Stereo BlueTooth ... No
    Copy and Paste ... No
    MMS ... No
    SD Card ... No
    Extra Battery ... No
    Video Camera ... No
    Multitasking ... No

When the iPhone was introduced, I was so excited with its revolutionary form factor and user interface. I wanted one very badly, but I use my smartphone heavily for both productivity and entertainment. I kept hoping that Apple would update it to fix the missing functionality that is included in smartphones (e.g., Treo, BlackBerry, WinMo), but sadly, two years later, the iPhone remains nothing more than a pretty toy. Even the app store is pitiful compared to the plethora of useful apps available for smartphones.

When (if?) it is upgraded to include the basics, it will be worthy to be called a smartphone, and be discussed along side Treo, BlackBerry, and WinMo. Perhaps the absence of Steve Jobs and the presence of the Palm Pre will finally spur Apple into action.
    Dont want to turn this into a defend the iPhone thread. I have and like an iPhone. I'm planning on also getting the pre. Both look to be great products. Competition is great. I can only imagine the engineers in Apple after the pre was announced. I have no doubt the iPhone 3.0 os will be really good.

By the way, you listed no SD card slot. Last I checked, there is none on the pre either.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    How bout these......

1. Omnifocus. An incredible task management application that has a OSX desktop component. I can sync data back and forth wirelessly.
    2. SplashID. Storing sensitive passwords and account information. Syncs wirelessly with desktop application
    3. Evernote. A note taking application (think outlook notes). Syncs with the Evernote "cloud". Has both a pc and osX desktop app.
    4. Note2Self. I use this program to take voice notes. After completed it can email them to myself or somebody else. It auto activates when I lift the phone to my mouth. Next version will transcribe voice to text.
    5. MLB. Official app from major league baseball. During the season it streams scores and allows me to watch in game highlights right after they happen.
    6.Shazaam. Hear a song on the radio (or anywhere else) that you dont know the name. Launch this program and it will tell you and allow you to even tag it for itunes purchase.
    7. SimCity. Got to have some fun every now and then. Awesome game.

Honourable mentions.....Chase banking app, AP Mobile news app, ebay and paypal app, X-Plane flight simulator, Google voice activated search. Amazon app that allows me to take a picture of somthing and Amazon will tell me if they sell it and for how much
    I use Evernote as well, it's a great app. I think there's a WinMobile version of that as well. I also use the Google voice activated search. It works great as well.

I would add:

iMExchange - synce Notes and Task OTA to Exchange server. Haven't seen that on WinMobile or Palm OS devices.
    SplashMoney - Syncs wirelessly to desktop to manage finances
    eWallet - Password organizaton program syncs wirelessly to desktop
    iPhlix - Mange Netflix account from the iPhone
    RDP - Remote Desktop application (works great with the built in Cisco VPN and our system)
    iSports - Live sports scores and information
    Flixter - to quickly check movie times in whatever area you are in.

I have about 50 apps on mine. Some I don't use much at all. The one's above I don't consider 'useless' apps, although I know some will disagree.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    See bold/italics

How about:

Notes Sync ... No (Yes with iMExchange)
    Tasks ... No (Yes with iMExchange)
    Documents ... No (Yes with QuickOffice - not sure about editing)
    Spreadsheets ... No (Yes with QuickOffice + editing)
    GPS Navigation ... No (to some extent. I have used Google Maps for navigating more than once. There are a couple of turn-by-turn in the works)
    Stereo BlueTooth ... No (I agree on this. But, I do use an adapter)
    Copy and Paste ... No (Totally agree here!)
    MMS ... No (I never used it much so not really an issue for me)
    SD Card ... No (So far no need)
    Extra Battery ... No (Again, so far no need. I do carry a Kensington Mini Pack just in case. Never used it though)
    Video Camera ... No (I agree, I could use it occasionally)
    Multitasking ... No (It does have to some extent, but not what I would like. It is as much as Palm OS)

How about:

Notes Sync ... No
    Tasks ... No
    Documents ... No
    Spreadsheets ... No
    GPS Navigation ... No
    Stereo BlueTooth ... No
    Copy and Paste ... No
    MMS ... No
    SD Card ... No
    Extra Battery ... No
    Video Camera ... No
    Multitasking ... No
    You are a business user. this iphone and Pre are not aimed at you (at the moment).

Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    This is why Palm wants to eat apple's lunch
    My wokr is in cuthroat competion not disimilar from marke saturated mobile phone service,

You are dating yourself by using "eat apples lunch". Trust me, you mean to say "Drink apples mileshake." as in "I drink your milkshake" the au courant term for grabbing market share.
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    You are a business user. this iphone and Pre are not aimed at you (at the moment).

My wokr is in cuthroat competion not disimilar from marke saturated mobile phone service,

You are dating yourself by using "eat apples lunch". Trust me, you mean to say "Drink apples mileshake." as in "I drink your milkshake" the au courant term for grabbing market share.
    I'm English - "Drinking someone's milkshake" means something adult to me.
    Last edited by ToolkiT; 01/18/2009 at 07:39 AM. Reason: made it less explicit
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I'm English - "Drinking someone's milkshake" means something adult to me.
    ROTFL

I was thinking the same thing
    Last edited by ToolkiT; 01/18/2009 at 07:39 AM.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by solar_plexus View Post
    Installing WM software is a nightmare at best. Even installing DOS 2.11 software was easier.....

I'm no WM fanboy but clicking on a .CAB file is not really that hard.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    I'm no WM fanboy but clicking on a .CAB file is not really that hard.
    Was thinking the same thing when i read that. iPhone = superficial! Great device just stop pretending its remotely useful for a road-warrior.
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
    I would add:

iMExchange - synce Notes and Task OTA to Exchange server. Haven't seen that on WinMobile or Palm OS devices.
    SplashMoney - Syncs wirelessly to desktop to manage finances
    eWallet - Password organizaton program syncs wirelessly to desktop
    iPhlix - Mange Netflix account from the iPhone
    RDP - Remote Desktop application (works great with the built in Cisco VPN and our system)
    iSports - Live sports scores and information
    Flixter - to quickly check movie times in whatever area you are in.

I have about 50 apps on mine. Some I don't use much at all. The one's above I don't consider 'useless' apps, although I know some will disagree.
    To your and mobileman's lists (I use several of those myself) I'd add:

Mobile files and MobileFiles Pro - document viewer that supports many file formats (including docx, xlsx, pptx), image files, pdfs, audio files etc. 'Pro' version is new (December 23) and promises editing of Word and PowerPoint files in later releases (Excel editing already there).
    1Password. Password manager with more functionality than SplashID (desktop app is Mac only IIRC).
    Jaadu VNC. Simple to set up, robust VNC app (Windows and Mac).
    NetNewsWire. RSS reader.
    eReader. eBook reader.
    Weather Pro. Detailed forecasts, satellite, radar, great UI.
    WunderRadio. Internet radio app that supports multiple stream formats and links to the radiotime.com station listings.
    My Football. Live scores, previous results, league tables, club information etc for most European football leagues.
    Super Monkey Ball. Gorgeous, challenging, addictive game.
    BBC iPlayer. Web app useful only in the UK. Watch or listen to almost any BBC TV or radio program from the past week.

I'd be happy to see all of those on the Pre. I'm guessing though that a graphically-rich app like Monkey Ball wouldn't be possible unless/until Palm lets developers get fuller access to the OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    Was thinking the same thing when i read that. iPhone = superficial! Great device just stop pretending its remotely useful for a road-warrior.
    That depends on the war you're fighting.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    That depends on the war you're fighting.
    Hey, just one off-topic question about iPhone: what happens if you are writing an email an you receive a call? Can you go back and continue writing or do you need to start again?

And about the topic, I don't figure right now how to work with an iPhone, I need to have a lot of things that an iphone doesn't bring to me, like real PIM apps, a real GPS nav app (with radar POIs, and so on), PAN (or DUN, or whatever Microsoft wants to call it today) support,... I could continue, but all those are critical needs for a roadwarrior, independent on wich war are you figthing.

I don't know if the current configuration of Pre will bring me all of this solutions, but I can figure WebOS apps distribution is more an smartphone distribution than a multimedia device one.
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Hey, just one off-topic question about iPhone: what happens if you are writing an email an you receive a call? Can you go back and continue writing or do you need to start again?

And about the topic, I don't figure right now how to work with an iPhone, I need to have a lot of things that an iphone doesn't bring to me, like real PIM apps, a real GPS nav app (with radar POIs, and so on), PAN (or DUN, or whatever Microsoft wants to call it today) support,... I could continue, but all those are critical needs for a roadwarrior, independent on wich war are you figthing.

I don't know if the current configuration of Pre will bring me all of this solutions, but I can figure WebOS apps distribution is more an smartphone distribution than a multimedia device one.

It brings you right back into the email you are typing.

The default PIM apps on the iPhone might not be that great. But there are plenty of 3rd party app alternatives in the app store (and coming soon) which are very good.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    With the apps I've listed and apps others have listed, plus, by answers I gave to Bob G, I think I have shown it is more than useful for a "road-warrior". It is certainly lacking some features. But, then again, which device isn't?

I don't place the iPhone above any other device, nor below it. It's a personal preference. Each device has it's own features that are good. I still have my 800W and still use it quite often. It's easy for me to alternate devices since I only give out my office number as related to work and I keep my office phone forwarded to my cell phone.

I am looking forward to actually seeing the Pre. It does sound like it may bridge the gap between most all smartphones.
    It's like mobileman says. When the call comes in the email screen is replaced with the normal call screen and and when it's finished the call screen disappears and the email screen reappears just as it was before the call came in, cursor in the same place etc - you just continue typing. The problem with the iPhone isn't that it doesn't multitask it's that it doesn't allow third party apps to multitask much at all. If, for instance, you're listening to internet radio (with a third party app) then that's all you can do - if you switch to another app the radio app closes and the the radio station is lost. It's a real pain. It's not quite as bad as it sounds perhaps because it doesn't work so badly the other way - if you start built-in music player the music keeps playing when you switch a third party app (unless that app specifically switches it off). Proper, uninhibited multitasking though is a lot of the attraction of the Pre to me and a major reason why I'm considering switching.
    Again like mobileman says there are some good third party PIM apps (tasks and notes at least, the built-in calendar and contact apps are actually not too bad) but I agree 100% about real nav apps. A the lack of a turn-by-tun, voice prompted, rerouting, screen reorienting nav app is the probably my number one complaint about the iPhone, more significant even than the multi-tasking limitations (although it's very possible the two causally are related).
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    It's like mobileman says. When the call comes in the email screen is replaced with the normal call screen and and when it's finished the call screen disappears and the email screen reappears just as it was before the call came in, cursor in the same place etc - you just continue typing. The problem with the iPhone isn't that it doesn't multitask it's that it doesn't allow third party apps to multitask much at all. If, for instance, you're listening to internet radio (with a third party app) then that's all you can do - if you switch to another app the radio app closes and the the radio station is lost. It's a real pain. It's not quite as bad as it sounds perhaps because it doesn't work so badly the other way - if you start built-in music player the music keeps playing when you switch a third party app (unless that app specifically switches it off). Proper, uninhibited multitasking though is a lot of the attraction of the Pre to me and a major reason why I'm considering switching.
    So I must assume this is not a problem with built-in apps, but will be a problem using 3rd party apps. Using third party PIM apps, or email apps (I don't know if the last exists) there will be problems with the apps behaviour on call receptions. That's a deal breaker in my opinion (althougth I'm not a typical "builtin apps aren't for me" user).

Anyway, I feel comfortable with Windows Mobile right now. It covers my needs great, and I'm expecting for Pre waiting for a PalmOS user experience with the capabilities of an updated OS.
    Last edited by deCorvett; 01/18/2009 at 02:28 PM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast