Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I seen several threads stating that the small centro/pre battery will likely not be an issue due to webOS using power more efficiently.

My only response to this would be, don't you think in the course of developing and testing the phone that if a great stride had been made in battery usuage that this would have been a major demo point from Palm at CES.

If they had truly found a pot of gold in power management, wouldn't they have been all over themselves to point this out.

Unfortunately, I think its likely that in order to get through a full day we may be relegated to the OEM hump
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Since we have no evidence either way, your em.. conclusion is equally mythical at this stage.
    Seems like Palm hasn't made any final decisions and battery life calculations on battery life so they most likely wanted to avoid the entire discussion. As long as the phone lasts through the day with a decent amount of phone/evdo usage then I'm perfectly happy. There probably isn't much to talk about if the battery life will be equivalent to most other decent phones out there.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    Seems like Palm hasn't made any final decisions and battery life calculations on battery life so they most likely wanted to avoid the entire discussion. As long as the phone lasts through the day with a decent amount of phone/evdo usage then I'm perfectly happy. There probably isn't much to talk about if the battery life will be equivalent to most other decent phones out there.
    ^
    Quote Originally Posted by machx View Post
    ^

^
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    agreed.... but as many little things that palm has considered (and by all accounts how well its engineered) for the pre i cant imagine they would not provide a good enough battery for it. we all could be wrong but i guess we will know soon enough.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    I'm willing to bet it will be good, they're not missing any stops on this thing. They really put every attention to detail with this.

But as an example of how less mAh can = more TIME, take the
    HTC Mogul vs the HTC Touch

Mogul = 1500 mAh
    Vogue = 1100 mAh

I owned both devices, and can say, without question, that the Vogue had MUCH MUCH MUCH better battery life. Mogul would not last a day, the Vogue had no problem. This is even with the Vogue being a more powerful device. So even amongst similiar WinMo devices, mAh doesn't mean much.

We have to wait and see My money is on it's around the average of the iphone, blackberry storm, and g1. Probably a little better. <pure speculation
    Yes, there is no evidence either way at this point, but in general the notion that you can improve your battery life through some magical changes in the software is a complete myth.

It's all about the hardware and how much you use it. Assuming that the OS provides the minimal required support for power management of the hardware, the power draw of the various hardware components (radio, GPS, wifi, CPU, screen) determines how long the battery will last. The only real exception to this is how push email and other "cloud" data is dealt with.

Given the hardware it supports and the battery capacity, I would imagine you'll need to charge this puppy everyday, perhaps more often.
    If you go back and watch the demo that the Palm guy gave at CES in front of reporters and such, his battery was basically at a critical level at one point and he switched to another Pre. That's not a very good sign.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    Yes, there is no evidence either way at this point, but in general the notion that you can improve your battery life through some magical changes in the software is a complete myth.

It's all about the hardware and how much you use it. Assuming that the OS provides the minimal required support for power management of the hardware, the power draw of the various hardware components (radio, GPS, wifi, CPU, screen) determines how long the battery will last. The only real exception to this is how push email and other "cloud" data is dealt with.

Given the hardware it supports and the battery capacity, I would imagine you'll need to charge this puppy everyday, perhaps more often.
    FAIL.

That is a ridiculous notion, do you have any experience with handheld devices? That's almost as bad as saying the time that a phone can be on standby is only as long as the talk time.

Invariably, software, especially OS is a key determinant in the real world battery life of these devices. Even terminating an unsused data connection can increase battery life.

Ever tried running push email versus pull? there are HUGE differences just for configurations of the same OS, if you delve into a much larger world of variation.

How about the example of a laptop? Take a laptop gaming playing World of Warcraft vs one playign PONG. Which battery lasts longer, all other factors the same? I rest my case

Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    If you go back and watch the demo that the Palm guy gave at CES in front of reporters and such, his battery was basically at a critical level at one point and he switched to another Pre. That's not a very good sign.
    I'm guessing demos occur later in the day, and at a PHONE conference, I doubt they do much besides play with the phone. Any phone would be drained after intense activity. Also who knows when he charged it, and if the demo unit will be the production unit
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post
    Unfortunately, I think its likely that in order to get through a full day we may be relegated to the OEM hump
    I know we are not getting any new information, but this sort of speculation is just ridiculous.

Let's wait and see what the facts are. I would suggest that there is evidence so far that Palm have got a few things right.
    FAIL.

That is a ridiculous notion, do you have any experience with handheld devices? That's almost as bad as saying the time that a phone can be on standby is only as long as the talk time.

Invariably, software, especially OS is a key determinant in the real world battery life of these devices. Even terminating an unsused data connection can increase battery life.

Ever tried running push email versus pull? there are HUGE differences just for configurations of the same OS, if you delve into a much larger world of variation.

How about the example of a laptop? Take a laptop gaming playing World of Warcraft vs one playign PONG. Which battery lasts longer, all other factors the same? I rest my case

I actually have quite a bit of experience in writing drivers and designing hardware, and I'm pretty sure I've done more work on delving into the innards of mobile devices than you, but thanks for schooling me, lol.

If you actually read my post, the two exceptions I noted were proper power management and mail delivery/syncing. Note, putting an idle network connection into power save mode constitutes power management and in general this has shown to be more efficient than constantly opening/terminating data connections. Once again, I assume that Palm is doing the minimum required to get maximum life out of their device, other than that you can't go improving it by extracting extra mAh out of thin air.

So you're argument is that if I want to use a browser, Palm will determine that it wants to save me power and it will open up a notepad instead?? *sigh*
    Quote Originally Posted by jagowar View Post
    for the pre i cant imagine they would not provide a good enough battery for it.

I hope you're right jagowar because they sure enough didn't provide a good enough battery with my Centro, Treo 700p and Treo 300. (oddly enough my Treo 600's battery was OK)

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    the more the phones do and the thinner they get the more they will eat up the battery... A good battery, in my opinion, is one that lasts a day with moderate use... Heck my Storm can go 2 days with little use, as i'm in front of a computer alot of the day anyway. But with these phones constantly pinging out and gathering info along with all the apps that will go out and gather info...

I seriously think that a full days worth of moderate use is really good.
    As I said in another thread... we simply DON'T KNOW at this point...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  17.    #17  
    Well your right, we simply don't know at this time. Again I fall back that if battery life were going to be a genuine positive, you can bet we'd have already heard about this.

Just like if there was a desktop sync, it would have been fully discussed at the demos. More times than not, if something isn't brought up at a product launch it doesn't magically appear in a product when the first units are shipped.
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    I actually have quite a bit of experience in writing drivers and designing hardware, and I'm pretty sure I've done more work on delving into the innards of mobile devices than you, but thanks for schooling me, lol.

If you actually read my post, the two exceptions I noted were proper power management and mail delivery/syncing. Note, putting an idle network connection into power save mode constitutes power management and in general this has shown to be more efficient than constantly opening/terminating data connections. Once again, I assume that Palm is doing the minimum required to get maximum life out of their device, other than that you can't go improving it by extracting extra mAh out of thin air.

So you're argument is that if I want to use a browser, Palm will determine that it wants to save me power and it will open up a notepad instead?? *sigh*
    Come on Z, it's quite obvious you don't know what your talking about here, I mean what have you even contributed to this community?

**Note: I am getting sick of the overuse of "FAIL" / "EPIC FAIL", its beat already... and so is "FTW", it wasn't cool in the 80's, ain't cool now**
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    Come on Z, it's quite obvious you don't know what your talking about here, I mean what have you even contributed to this community?

**Note: I am getting sick of the overuse of "FAIL" / "EPIC FAIL", its beat already... and so is "FTW", it wasn't cool in the 80's, ain't cool now**
    LOL, you've exposed me for the fraud that I am.

Seriously, I should know better. This is silly season and if people want to believe that Palm engineers have discovered cold fusion hiding underneath their compilers, hey who am I to tell them differently...
    FAIL.

FAIL. This = FAIL. That = fail. Ugh. Goofy and WAY overused, just like the whole "game changer" thing. . I rest MY case.
    Rant off.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast