Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    meh... .1% actually post real good information that the other 90% think is BS, but that .1% isn't going to fight too hard to convince. Case in point...

Opie and Anthony (a popular syndicated radio show from NY) was taken off the air for two years due to a publicity stunt. For two years, the rumor was they were going to Sat Radio, either XM or Sirius (now a moot point). Over at another forum I go to, everyone was saying Sirius, hands down they all had proof, that it was absolutely Sirius. This other user kept saying, they are going to XM, but not as loudly nor as definitely as the ones screaming Sirius. Eventually the announcement is made that they are going to XM Sat Radio... that user, was Anthony.

Point is, we should probably take into consideration the ones who don't step up on the soap box and scream the loudest but still drop tidbits of information.
    I think you misread my post... I didn't say 10% had inside information, I said 10% were objecting to the speculation.

Anyways, no argument about the .1% figure, if it's even that high. Aside from some insight by those who have experienced the device firsthand and a few bits of published data, there is NO other info at this point. But this doesn't mean you can't exercise your gray matter when filtering some of the speculation.
    No I read it right. I was just adding the .1% in there. And your right, that might be a little high still.

But I knew what you were getting at.
    Ahh, got it...

Hopefully, Palm will incrementally release more info to keep the buzz going, leading up to the launch. If not, it will be a frustrating next few months for some.
    Yeah, look to CTIA for the next big thing (at least from Palm themselves).

Except, the comment they made, "Sunday is the new Tuesday..." cryptic and what not, so who knows what that means.
    Except, the comment they made, "Sunday is the new Tuesday..." cryptic and what not, so who knows what that means.
    It was actually Sunday is the new Thursday, and it was explained after a couple inquiries that whoever does the Palm Twitter feed just meant that it felt like a Thursday, even though it was Sunday.
    Ah, thanks for that clarification.
  7. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Yeah, look to CTIA for the next big thing (at least from Palm themselves).
    They're going to be demoing the GSM Pre at Mobile World Congress in February. And GSM devices normally get better battery life than their CDMA equivalents.

Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post
    Actually, he admits that his iphone3g was a dud/defective from day one and wouldn't last an hour. I hope that's not the bar that has been set. Beating a one hour battery life. Again, nothing would make me happier than to have an all day charge with this phone.
    It's his original iPhone that was a dud (he has one of each). I know I'd go crazy trying to juggle that many devices...
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    ...Let's wait and see what the facts are....
    But then we'd have NOTHING to talk about.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    That's true, we haven't got much else. Just referring to this OP's assertion of poor battery life and the sweeping statement of the thread title.

It's a pity that Palm can't get some into the hands of reviewers, but maybe it's not complete enough for that yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    They're going to be demoing the GSM Pre at Mobile World Congress in February. And GSM devices normally get better battery life than their CDMA equivalents.
    I am figuring they are going to do the same CES song and dance except with Vodaphone next month. I thought CTIA would be where they really bring down the house, again, I am talking out of silly season.

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Exactly. Know one around here knows much of anything that hasn't been talked about to death. At this point, we are just trying to make conversation... even if it's an argument here or there, at least it's something

Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    It's a pity that Palm can't get some into the hands of reviewers, but maybe it's not complete enough for that yet.
    That isn't the way Palm does it... from what I understand, they would never let a blogger beta a device.

And no one is stupid enough to even reveal they are currently in the beta for the device.
  11. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    I am figuring they are going to do the same CES song and dance except with Vodaphone next month.
    Yes and no--at CES it was the grand unveiling for the world to see. Now that people have some idea of what to expect (beyond "something new"), maybe Palm will answer some more specific questions. And Palm's hardware and software engineers will have had a little more time to fine-tune some of the details that needed it on the Pre.
    You and me both hope we get more information... I am not trying to be a negative Nancy either. I am hoping to be wow'd at MWG, but I won't be upset if I'm not. I prefer them to take their time and develop it correctly without worrying about public screaming over this feature or that feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post
    I seen several threads stating that the small centro/pre battery will likely not be an issue due to webOS using power more efficiently.

My only response to this would be, don't you think in the course of developing and testing the phone that if a great stride had been made in battery usuage that this would have been a major demo point from Palm at CES.

If they had truly found a pot of gold in power management, wouldn't they have been all over themselves to point this out.

Unfortunately, I think its likely that in order to get through a full day we may be relegated to the OEM hump
    Or we may have to carry a spare battery. In any case, if Android is any indication of the power usage of a Linux-based super phone with a fast processor and every kind of radio imaginable; then the Pre will barely be able to make it through a day on a single charge just like my T-Mobile G1. It's just the nature of the wireless beast. Battery life sucks and will continue to suck until a breakthrough in battery technology is made.
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    I agree with the above poster - at some point, we're going to be pretty heavily limited by the battery technology available. I'd like to see a day and a half or so. But I'm currently charing my Treo Pro every few hours, because 3G Internet Radio + Bluetooth A2DP drains the battery at an incredible rate. I get maybe 3 or 4 hours out of it? So I wouldn't be terribly frustrated if the Pre had poor battery life. Just have to import a couple of keystones (one for work, one for home).
    I have to admit, I think I'm partially spoiled by my current device myself, so no matter what the Pre's battery life is, it won't be enough.

(A Sprint Motorola q9c with the extended battery which makes a slight hump... the difference is that with this its the only battery which came with the device so I didn't have to buy an extra aftermarket battery and back. Gives me I believe 1850 mAh, and I can go multiple days without charging, even pulling email from 2 accounts every five minutes.)

I'm sure I'll readjust to a smaller battery, but it might be tough.
    Oh god... Q9C... I'm so sorry.

I can't deal with the lack of touch screen.
    Oh god... Q9C... I'm so sorry.

I can't deal with the lack of touch screen.
    I can't deal with the unintuitiveness of WM Professional, so to each their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by ipsi View Post
    I agree with the above poster - at some point, we're going to be pretty heavily limited by the battery technology available. I'd like to see a day and a half or so. But I'm currently charing my Treo Pro every few hours, because 3G Internet Radio + Bluetooth A2DP drains the battery at an incredible rate. I get maybe 3 or 4 hours out of it? So I wouldn't be terribly frustrated if the Pre had poor battery life. Just have to import a couple of keystones (one for work, one for home).
    Wow. That's terrible. Reminds me of one of the reasons I ditched my Centro and got a BlackBerry. I really hope the Pre is not like that, because it looks good enough to make me seriously think about cheating on my BlackBerry...
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    It's mostly the 3G being pretty much constantly pulling down data. I get the same if I have Mundu running. Really quick battery drain.
    Well with the new processor, it should be very good on battery usage, but the heavy video user will always not have enough battery.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast