Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    LOL, you've exposed me for the fraud that I am.

Seriously, I should know better. This is silly season and if people want to believe that Palm engineers have discovered cold fusion hiding underneath their compilers, hey who am I to tell them differently...
    I don't know about cold fusion, but they might have a way to under-clock the processor whenever possible -- that could save quite a bit of power with little impact on the user experience.

And since the OS has extensive multitasking capability, it might only need the processor to run flat-out when there are multiple compute-intensive cards open simultaneously -- toss a few off the top and the chip could drop to a much slower speed and power draw.
    Last edited by Rusty J; 01/17/2009 at 01:57 AM.
    -Rusty
    Blackjack, Tilt; Treo 90, 270-680; Palm Vx, i705, T|T3, iQue 3200; Nokia N800, E71
    The processor actually is very efficient, and does dynamic power management automatically. There's going to be more power going to the radios than anything else.

The similar chipset on the Pandora console has a 4.3" screen, and a slightly more featured version of the chipset, but the same CPU. The developers of that have overclocked the chip to 900mHz and the max power draw they got (this is before they got the Wifi chip on) is 710mA.

The Archos 5 also uses the same chipset as the Pandora (aka slightly more featured than the Pre's). It is rated at 4 hours when playing video, and has Wifi. I don't know if that's with the Wifi on or not, and unfortunately after 15 minutes of searching I couldn't find the mAh size of the Archos 5 battery to get a good comparison, but that 4 hour rating is in a device with a hard drive and 4.8" screen.
    Having a Diamond, and after testing it with all the f.cking official and coocked ROMs out there, I can say software on ROM matters, and Radio ROM matters, and GPS drivers matters, and...

The same hardware (I want to say "one" device), with the same battery, and power consumption a lot bigger (I'm talking about a half of time of use) just changing radio version.

What do you have to say about this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    **Note: I am getting sick of the overuse of "FAIL" / "EPIC FAIL", its beat already... and so is "FTW", it wasn't cool in the 80's, ain't cool now**
    That was an epic fail though because FTW was not even thought of in the 80's let alone widespread computer usage...
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=175724

Based on this NcNamee interview, Pre battery life must be at least better than it is in iPhone 3G.
  6.    #26  
    Actually, he admits that his iphone3g was a dud/defective from day one and wouldn't last an hour. I hope that's not the bar that has been set. Beating a one hour battery life. Again, nothing would make me happier than to have an all day charge with this phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post
    Actually, he admits that his iphone3g was a dud/defective from day one and wouldn't last an hour. I hope that's not the bar that has been set. Beating a one hour battery life. Again, nothing would make me happier than to have an all day charge with this phone.
    All day? I'd would have LOVED to have seen five days on light use and three days on moderate use.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    That was an epic fail though because FTW was not even thought of in the 80's let alone widespread computer usage...
    Nice try... but, FTW = For the Win... it was from Hollywood Squares. 60's to the 90's...

People were using it in my area when I was a kid... my brother used to say it ALL THE EFFING TIME. So, not only did you use "epic fail" in an attempt to be funny... you lost out on the whole "funny" thing too.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Woo! Go Pandora! Go Pre! Go TI!
    in todays market.. i think we should shoot for a full days of moderate use. Charge it at night. Anything more should be a pleasant surprise!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty J View Post
    I don't know about cold fusion, but they might have a way to under-clock the processor whenever possible -- that could save quite a bit of power with little impact on the user experience.

And since the OS has extensive multitasking capability, it might only need the processor to run flat-out when there are multiple compute-intensive cards open simultaneously -- toss a few off the top and the chip could drop to a much slower speed and power draw.
    This is a good point, however I don't think you're going to see dramatic savings here under "real world" use. Adaptive frequency scaling, aka (intel-branded) Speed Stepping has been around for a number of years, phones based on the Intel PXA27x XScale processor supported it.

FWIW, I've experimented with speed stepping software and deliberately underclocked one of my phones, allowing it to speedstep up when under load. I didn't notice a great increase in battery life, but to be fair I wasn't testing it under controlled conditions.

The problem is that CPU only represents a fraction of the total hardware components (screen and radio being the other power hungry components), and of that, the CPU is only ON (not in suspended mode) for a fraction of the time, and of that, you only reduce the power required by a fractional amount, and of that, you can only reduce it during the fraction of the time when the CPU is not truly busy. If you know how fractions work, they get pretty small quickly.

The TI OMAP 3430 has some of the best power management available (some of the adaptive scaling is done in hardware), so it may be more efficient than previous methods. We'll see...
    Battery life is dictated by hardware and how the hardware is utilized by software. No one knows how long this thing is going to last so speculation is pointless.

I think the Pre is going to be power starved too because of the screen resolution, small battery, and powerful processor. That being said, it really doesn't matter what I think. Until the hardware hits the streets, it's just chit-chat. No sense in waging a jihad about it since no one really knows on this site unless there are Palm development engineers here posing as the general public.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Nice try... but, FTW = For the Win... it was from Hollywood Squares. 60's to the 90's...

People were using it in my area when I was a kid... my brother used to say it ALL THE EFFING TIME. So, not only did you use "epic fail" in an attempt to be funny... you lost out on the whole "funny" thing too.
    hella pwned
    You gotta call a "spade" a "spade" here. If the pre had exemplary battery life, Palm would have "pimped" that as a feature at the CES demo most defiantly. You can pretty much make your assumptions based on the fact that Palm has been skirting around the battery issue and continues to do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by machx View Post
    I'm guessing demos occur later in the day, and at a PHONE conference, I doubt they do much besides play with the phone. Any phone would be drained after intense activity. Also who knows when he charged it, and if the demo unit will be the production unit
    Hey is this a Multi-Varialble Calculus class!
    Hey guys, let me throw in my .02 cents. Why don't we just wait 'til the Pre hits the street, test the battery in practice and come back to this forum!
    Quote Originally Posted by chestvrg View Post
    Hey guys, let me throw in my .02 cents. Why don't we just wait 'til the Pre hits the street, test the battery in practice and come back to this forum!
    No! Let's make wild speculations and decide right NOW whether we will buy this thing when it gets out.
    Lol, if this forum were strictly limited to posts that contain published data, it would be a barren wasteland right now. Prior to any launch, the forums are usually alive with 90% speculation and the other 10% are people screaming at the rest to stop speculating...

Nothing wrong with that, but not all speculation is wild.
    meh... .1% actually post real good information that the other 90% think is BS, but that .1% isn't going to fight too hard to convince. Case in point...

Opie and Anthony (a popular syndicated radio show from NY) was taken off the air for two years due to a publicity stunt. For two years, the rumor was they were going to Sat Radio, either XM or Sirius (now a moot point). Over at another forum I go to, everyone was saying Sirius, hands down they all had proof, that it was absolutely Sirius. This other user kept saying, they are going to XM, but not as loudly nor as definitely as the ones screaming Sirius. Eventually the announcement is made that they are going to XM Sat Radio... that user, was Anthony.

Point is, we should probably take into consideration the ones who don't step up on the soap box and scream the loudest but still drop tidbits of information.
    Point is, we should probably take into consideration the ones who don't step up on the soap box and scream the loudest but still drop tidbits of information.
    The only viewpoints that matter are at Palm at this point. Regardless of how loud or soft spoken the opinions maybe, the only ones that count are the ones that are not free to speak here on this board.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast