Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So when i want to go back an re-edit a long email i just typed up on my brand new pre, how will i be able to move to cursor back into were i want it with my finger? A finger touch would be very vague IMHO in that small space compared to the more precise stylus.

The iphone somewhat came up witha good solution. If you hold you finger down on text, it will then turn into a magnifying glass which will "zoom" in on that part of a text with a blinking curson giving you a better and more precise power to place the cursor where you need it. Will the pre have some type of feature like this?
    Interesting. I have big hands, but I have figured out how to use my finger to edit text on my little Centro screen when I don't feel like pulling out my stylus. I imagine it will be much easier on the Pre's screen.
    I myself would like to see a stylus.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    There is no way to have a stylus on a capacitive screen, its too imprecise and you need a much larger click area.
    You know the video (the long one) showed it being demo by someone who was using two hands most of the time. IMO is less of a one handed device than the Centro and Treos.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    You know the video (the long one) showed it being demo by someone who was using two hands most of the time. IMO is less of a one handed device than the Centro and Treos.

Good Luck

But then, one handed operation implies using a finger/thumb on the touchscreen, so the Pre should not have a disadvantage for suitably designed programs.
    If you look on YouTube, you can see lots of different users -some 1-handed, others not. Did you ever see anyone in real life type with his forefingers rather than thumbs?
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    It is not less of a one handed device. This is why the gesture area is there: so you can reach it with your thumb when the phone keyboard is open.
    It's only if you take advantage of the (highly overrated) multi-touch that it is no longer possible to operate one-handed.

Good Luck
    That is the same thought I had. The Pre is nice but how can you comfortablely change pages/cards with swiping with the thumb the same hand is holding the phone with? The D-pad covered that problem but let's hope they come up with a technological advanced method to put my fear to rest.
    swiping with your thumb while holding the phone is easy. at least for me. if you can use the d-pad with your thumb, you should be able to use it to swipe. try it with your treo. of course I just might have the right sized hands to do this comfortably and u might have to have the key board out for oroper balance
    If the keyboard is pulled out on the Pre, will I be able to access all of the features of the Pre from the keyboard & the lower portion of the screen or will I have to hope my thumb will grows about 2 more inches?
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    If the keyboard is pulled out on the Pre, will I be able to access all of the features of the Pre from the keyboard & the lower portion of the screen or will I have to hope my thumb will grows about 2 more inches?
    how stubby is your thumb? i imagine the distance to the gesture area & most of the screen on a pre will be similar to the distance to the D-pad & screen on the 755p. i have fairly small hands & without having to shift the position of the 755p in my hand, i can reach all but the top of the device, where the speaker is.
    My journey: PalmPilotPro->PalmPilotIIIx->Treo300->Treo600->Treo650->Treo755p->Pre->FrankenPre2
    Quote Originally Posted by GearGoddess View Post
    how stubby is your thumb? i imagine the distance to the gesture area & most of the screen on a pre will be similar to the distance to the D-pad & screen on the 755p. i have fairly small hands & without having to shift the position of the 755p in my hand, i can reach all but the top of the device, where the speaker is.
    I would definitely have to shift the device in my hand to reach the top.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    I would definitely have to shift the device in my hand to reach the top.

Good Luck
    Wow you must really have tiny or non dextrous thumbs. I don't know how you hold your centro, but I hold my treo resting in the palm of my hand with the **** of my thumb up against the side so that my thumb can reach all parts of the phone. I've even turned my phone upside down to mimic the keyboard not being there and I can still reach and move my thumb everywhere on the screen. with roam to spare. I'm gonna guess since most have bigger hands than I do, that they shouldn't have a problem. You my friend seem to be an exception. You did mention that you can barely type with your thumb on your keyboard so you probably will have problems. Of course you nor I won't know for sure until we actually get our hands on the device.
    --Nextel Blackberry 7520 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Sprint Treo 755p -> Sprint Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    The iphone somewhat came up witha good solution. If you hold you finger down on text, it will then turn into a magnifying glass which will "zoom" in on that part of a text with a blinking curson giving you a better and more precise power to place the cursor where you need it. Will the pre have some type of feature like this?
    I think they'll have to have a solution and I wouldn't be surprised if it is very like Apple's.
    Quote Originally Posted by SedahDrol View Post
    swiping with your thumb while holding the phone is easy. at least for me.
    +1. I have an iPhone (currently ). Swiping between screens with the thumb you're holding the phone with is the easiest thing in the world. If you're only used to resistive touch screens (Treos and the like) bear in mind that capacitive screens are way more sensitive and only need the lightest of touches. I use the iPhone almost 100% one-handed except for typing and the occasional pinch zoom.
    Wow you must really have tiny or non dextrous thumbs. I don't know how you hold your centro, but I hold my treo resting in the palm of my hand with the **** of my thumb up against the side so that my thumb can reach all parts of the phone. I've even turned my phone upside down to mimic the keyboard not being there and I can still reach and move my thumb everywhere on the screen. with roam to spare. I'm gonna guess since most have bigger hands than I do, that they shouldn't have a problem. You my friend seem to be an exception. You did mention that you can barely type with your thumb on your keyboard so you probably will have problems. Of course you nor I won't know for sure until we actually get our hands on the device.

I think I would be able to reach the top of the screen w/o shifting the device in my hand IF the keyboard wasn't extended. (this assumes the Pre will be about the same size as the Centro with keyboard not extended.) But with the keyboard extended no way I could reach the top if the keyboard was extended w/o shifting.

Anyway, who know until we actually try it out.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    swiping with your thumb while holding the phone is easy. at least for me. if you can use the d-pad with your thumb, you should be able to use it to swipe. try it with your treo. of course I just might have the right sized hands to do this comfortably and u might have to have the key board out for oroper balance

I think the difference was the fact that the D-pad did the work (moved to where I directed it) versus my constant moving of the thumb. It may just be a preference issue as opposed to a product flaw . I'm willing to try the next best thing and move on, but I have to be convinced first. I will test it out in the store 1st. I wish Palm/Sprint all the best though.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    +1. I have an iPhone (currently ). Swiping between screens with the thumb you're holding the phone with is the easiest thing in the world. If you're only used to resistive touch screens (Treos and the like) bear in mind that capacitive screens are way more sensitive and only need the lightest of touches. I use the iPhone almost 100% one-handed except for typing and the occasional pinch zoom.
    When the keyboard is out and your trying to turn pages, how comfortable will the phone be in one's hand while swiping with the thumb? You can see how a treo user may have an issue with turning pages/cards with one hand usage. If the thumb swipe is as effortless yet effective in moving to where the user desired, then I'm sold on this issue. I still like the phone's potential. In my opinion, I don't think its a step forward to add addtional steps (constant moving of the thumb) to a function (D-pad) that worked well previously. If there is or will be a place to hold down a small area by the ball that substitutes for that D-pad function, maybe that would work too.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast