Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Just a crazy thought, does anyone know the dimensions on the Pre (Closed and Open)? Can someone upload a pdf of an open and closed Pre at these dimensions so we can see the size.

Anyone else see a value in this?

I know that this will be flat and without thickness, but anywho.

Regards
    graylion
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    i'm curious to know how most people use their D-pad. do you keep your thumb centered & roll it side to side & up & down? if that's the case, then i can see how a swiping motion would be more effort. i happen to have very narrow fingers, so i'm always moving my thumb from one edge of the D-pad to the other. seems like a swipe motion wouldn't be much different for me. will have to fondle a pre to really know.
    My journey: PalmPilotPro->PalmPilotIIIx->Treo300->Treo600->Treo650->Treo755p->Pre->FrankenPre2
  3. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BaDZeD View Post
    There is no way to have a stylus on a capacitive screen, its too imprecise and you need a much larger click area.
    Actually, they do make styli for capacitive screens. Here's one designed for the iPhone; I'm still looking for the physical dimensions:

http://www.styluscentral.com/stylus-...ogo-stylus.asp

Dell's Latitude XT Tablet is also supposed to use a capacitive screen, though it's pricier. The tip does look more precise, though.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...-1042#Overview

I'm thinking about trying one once the Pre is out--for drawing apps, stylus-based games... I would definitely like to see a somewhat more precise tip than the Pogo, which looks like the thickness of a somewhat-used crayon.
    While I realize that nothing will be as precise as a resistive stylus point (which I'd compare to a ballpoint pen), I'm hoping that something with the thickness of a magic marker tip will work.

Here's hoping the launch of the Pre (and more users coming from resistive touchscreen devices) will spur some additional options!
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,430 Global Posts
    I couldn't think where to put this - maybe here?

In regards to shortcuts - it seems the keyboard doesn't do that "starts dialing contacts" thing anymore -

look at about 1.44.
    Quote Originally Posted by GearGoddess View Post
    i'm curious to know how most people use their D-pad. do you keep your thumb centered & roll it side to side & up & down? if that's the case, then i can see how a swiping motion would be more effort. i happen to have very narrow fingers, so i'm always moving my thumb from one edge of the D-pad to the other. seems like a swipe motion wouldn't be much different for me. will have to fondle a pre to really know.
    I keep my thumb centered.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    I tend to have my thumb on the down area of the dpad. I will miss the stylus for the decuma handwritting app. I like how when I write in my journal I think of the stylus as my pen. I know I'm crazy but I don't mind using keyboards for calendars, task, writing replies and all that but when writing in the journal I feel like writing is lil more personal than just typing.
    Below is a post from cavingjam asking a question about one handed use of the Pre followed by a repsonse from Deiter. These are on the PreCentral.com site. Thought you guys would like to see this:

"69. From cavingjan

How one handed is this phone? Everybody demonstrating it seemed to be using two hands and I'm not sure if that was for stability and filming vs the phone not being something that could be operated completed and totaly one handed. Can all of the swooshes, zooms, etc be done one handed?"

Deiter's Response:
    "One-handed use is great, though you'll need two hands when the keyboard is open and you want to reach the upper-parts of the screen (unless you have sasquatch-hands and/or Nosferatu-hands. I'm in the latter camp, so I'm set)."

Here's the link:
    http://www.precentral.net/
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    See cut and paste on this YouTube video (at 28:40):

Also:
    Last edited by treoKing; 01/19/2009 at 03:43 PM.
    stylus are fantastic if you have an ocd complex (like me) about fingerprints and want quick one handed use . Pre won't ship with a stylus, even an RF pen which is sold third-party, because they are trying to contend with iphone (which makes me a lil queesy after weeks of use and not one jean/cloth wipe) If apple's next big slab came with two chop sticks and a wii-mote for making calls, you'd be sure samsung would have a cheap chop-stick phone by month's end. I'm just glad palm placed in a keyboard but had the great sense to not compromise the touchscreen and hide it. Lack of faith in slider's aside, I'm really excited.
    Powah to the Headset Jockeys!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12