Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    I have never used Sprint and have read something about it using Verizon towers. Am I to understand that Sprint would have coverage everywhere Verizon does? Please explain, I may jump ship when the Pre comes out.
    Verizon and Sprint use the same CDMA technology. Usually, you can 'roam' onto Verizon's network if your device uses the same frequency as Verizon. Sprint has no roaming charges in most of their plans nowadays, so its like being on Verizon's network when youre not on Sprint's.
    Since you made a separate thread for this, I'll post it here too:

Verizon and Sprint have roaming agreements with each other, since they use the same technologies (aka CDMA and EVDO). Every new plan I can see on the Sprint website includes no roaming charges. In other words, when you have no signal with Sprint, you'll 'roam' onto the Verizon network, and not get charged for it. I have to admit though, I don't remember the last time I was anywhere that didn't have Sprint coverage, in the Northeast US at least.

Anyway, if you're concerned, Sprint has a 30-day guarantee:
    Try the Sprint network risk free for 30 days. If you are not completely satisfied, simply return your phone within 30 days and only pay the charges based on your actual usage.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidlw View Post
    I have never used Sprint and have read something about it using Verizon towers. Am I to understand that Sprint would have coverage everywhere Verizon does? Please explain, I may jump ship when the Pre comes out.
    After 7 years on verizon, I jumped ship to sprint two years ago... I've not looked back.

From what I can tell, all the hype about "network" is a load of advertising...

I can't tell a difference between sprint and verizon and I travel up and down the east coast (in AL, GA, TN, SC, NC, VA, MD, DC, PA... etc)and some limited travel out west...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    I remember when I was traveling across a desert so called Montana, I was roaming on Verizon on and off.

It shouldn't be a concern, nowadays, coverages is generally not a issue with any carrier.
    Two things worth noting;

1. Last time I read the terms and conditions they stated that you cannot exceed 50% of your total minutes roaming. Probably not a big deal.

2. Empirically speaking the phones I have owned have performed much better when set to home network only. My office for example bounces back and forth between networks when set to allow roaming. When set to home network only the device holds the signal perfectly fine, even though it is a single bar. Even streaming doesnt break up.

I have found Sprint's network coverage phenominal overall- unless you are in the sticks you should be good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Anderson View Post
    I have found Sprint's network coverage phenominal overall- unless you are in the sticks you should be good.
    Depends on what sticks you are talking... I got a great signal in titus, al.... google maps those sticks.

Location, location, location.... lol
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    I don't know if this is still the case. But when I lived in Overland Park, KS. (two years ago) Sprints "World Headquarters" were there. I worked at a Verizon Wireless store about a mile from there. I was amazed that employees would come into our store and purchase family plans from us because they had NO SERVICE at their own world headquarters. Sprint customers would come in and be so peeved that their calls would drop as they were driving by they would pay any amount of money to get out of their contract. The other main complaint with sprint was their horrible customer service. Hope it has changed.

I also hope verizon gets the pre pdq.

Don't forget that if you're looking for coverage. No one will beat Verizon when their alltel aquirement is complete.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_p View Post
    I don't know if this is still the case. But when I lived in Overland Park, KS. (two years ago) Sprints "World Headquarters" were there. I worked at a Verizon Wireless store about a mile from there. I was amazed that employees would come into our store and purchase family plans from us because they had NO SERVICE at their own world headquarters. Sprint customers would come in and be so peeved that their calls would drop as they were driving by they would pay any amount of money to get out of their contract. The other main complaint with sprint was their horrible customer service. Hope it has changed.

2 years ago. What about now?

"hope it has changed" but you don't know.

I'd guess you know the two main issues with your post.

Don't forget that if you're looking for coverage. No one will beat Verizon when their alltel aquirement is complete.
    You must think we are stupid.
    Map of Sprint's coverage area.

When using the link above keep in mind the first map is just for voice service, click the link near the bottom right of the page for data coverage areas.
    While it's a good thing to have as a fallback, don't get Sprint if you are thinking that you can use both networks at will. Assuming you don't live in an area with US Cellular or a different CDMA carrier, Sprint phones will switch to VZW roaming when there is zero signal. There is no EVDO while roaming only 1X data. Texts may or may not work while roaming. Make sure that Sprint native service works in your area. Don't get Sprint thinking that even if it doesn't work you can roam because it's not as rosy as it sounds.
    Phone history with Sprint since April 2001: Kyocera QCP-2035, LG Touchpoint 1100, Samsung i500, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 755p, HTC Mogul, Blackberry 8830, Samsung A900M, Motorola ic902, Blackberry Curve 8330, Samsung Instinct, HTC Touch, Treo 800w, Touch Diamond, Touch Pro, Motorola i9, Treo Pro (personal)/Iphone 3G 16GB (gone to make room for Pre), Palm Pre, blackberry tour, iPhone 3GS 32GB
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Map of Sprint's coverage area.

When using the link above keep in mind the first map is just for voice service, click the link near the bottom right of the page for data coverage areas.
    And keep in mind maps are only estimates. Each carrier seems to interpret their coverage differently. I've noticed VZW likes to "show" that there's zero holes in their coverage when in reality there are some areas without coverage. Sprint, at least at my area, tends to go conservative on showing coverage, meaning usually coverage extends beyond what the maps show.
    Phone history with Sprint since April 2001: Kyocera QCP-2035, LG Touchpoint 1100, Samsung i500, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 755p, HTC Mogul, Blackberry 8830, Samsung A900M, Motorola ic902, Blackberry Curve 8330, Samsung Instinct, HTC Touch, Treo 800w, Touch Diamond, Touch Pro, Motorola i9, Treo Pro (personal)/Iphone 3G 16GB (gone to make room for Pre), Palm Pre, blackberry tour, iPhone 3GS 32GB
    Quote Originally Posted by xchpstang View Post
    And keep in mind maps are only estimates.
    Sprint, at least at my area, tends to go conservative on showing coverage, meaning usually coverage extends beyond what the maps show.
    Can't say I've found that to be true with Sprint in some areas I've been in.

Best to actually call Sprint and talk to them about the areas you are most concerned about having coverage for. That's how I found an area that appeared to have coverage was a known dead spot Sprint had noted on file. But it didn't look that way on the maps. (A wide open area on a road, no large buildings. They told me it was a known dead spot when I called to ask why my coverage kept dying there.)

This matter is very dependent on where each person lives, so results vary.
    Quote Originally Posted by xchpstang View Post
    There is no EVDO while roaming only 1X data.
    Wow, I didn't know that (been so long since I've been in roaming areas anyway), but I forced my Q9c to roam, tested its speed and got 100kbit/sec as opposed to the 500 I get on Sprint with EVDO, so you're right.
    Also, occasionally voicemail notifications act really weird, and checking voicemail can sometimes send you into the prompts as if you were calling your phone from another phone, rather than calling voicemail (which is your own number on Sprint) from your phone, while roaming.

Then again, the last time I had that happen, I was on analog roam, so...
    My Sprint phone will still roam on Verizon, including their Alltel towers.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I'm with VZW on a family plan in the NJ\NY area. I used to have Sprint years ago but didnt get good coverage around my house. I'm thinking I might switch back to Sprint based on not knowing when and if VZW is ever going to carry the Pre. Assuming coverage and network performance is about equal, I here customer service is bad for Sprint. I recently sent email to VZW regarding the Pre and was surprised to get a call from them (no info regarding phone).
    I really don't understand the people that have issues with Sprint. I've gone all over california, nevada, east coast, hawaii, florida, etc etc etc, and I have only one ONE spot that I have had problems with service. It happens to be about a one block radius around my gf's house, and now that the Airave came out Sprint was nice enough to provide it FOR FREE with NO service cost for 2 years. Now she has perfect reception in her house and doesn't have to pay extra. I call that pretty decent customer service ;-) On top of that Sprint has by far the best prices on service and will almost always give you free EVDO if you have a big plan. Assuming Sprint doesn't do something stupid like require a special plan, I'm gonna be a happy camper when the Pre comes out.
    I started to look into switching to Sprint last year after getting tried of waiting for the Centro on VZW. This time I might switch shortly after the reviews come out for the Pre on Sprint. Assuming that there's no info on if or when VZW is going to carry it. Looks like with sprint I'll end up spending less overall anyway.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast