1.    #1  
    One of the most used features of my Treos/Centro has been the calculator and its many conversion options. I couldn't see anywhere whether the Pre's calculator also has anything more advanced than a regular calculator.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    It's a cloud based calculator - you have to sign up to a subscription service to get access to the additional buttons - oh and sign a disclaimer that says palm owns any numbers it hosts.

People might say that's overkill BUT THEN NEED TO GET WITH THE TIMES - IT'S CLOUD OR NOTHING - NO EQUAL KEY FOR YOU!

I may have made that up.

Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    It's a cloud based calculator - you have to sign up to a subscription service to get access to the additional buttons - oh and sign a disclaimer that says palm owns any numbers it hosts.

People might say that's overkill BUT THEN NEED TO GET WITH THE TIMES - IT'S CLOUD OR NOTHING - NO EQUAL KEY FOR YOU!

I may have made that up.

LOL

I hope the Pre gets a program like Megacalc. I use that every day.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    It's a cloud based calculator
    Exactly! Just start typing and you will get a Google search button. :-)
    NO EQUAL KEY FOR YOU!
    Is that a commitment that there'll be a proper calculator, shipped standard on the Pre? The demo didn't look like it used RPN.
    Not only does the PalmOS caclculator have regular conversion functions, it can also calculate in binary and octal (with logical operations) and has financial functions similar to an HP12C (but without the RPN). Its probably the best calculator on any smartphone.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Not only does the PalmOS caclculator have regular conversion functions, it can also calculate in binary and octal (with logical operations) and has financial functions similar to an HP12C (but without the RPN). Its probably the best calculator on any smartphone.
    I like it too and have it running on my Treo 800w on StyleTapp.

That being said, calculators are very easy apps for developers. All the math libraries are built into the SDK so its just a matter of designing the layout and mapping the functions. Trust me there will be plenty to choose from.

I have seen some Windows Mobile calculator programs that can even display complex scientific notations and complex variable equations.

I predict that good calculators will be the least of our problems.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  8.    #8  
    That being said, calculators are very easy apps for developers. All the math libraries are built into the SDK so its just a matter of designing the layout and mapping the functions. Trust me there will be plenty to choose from.
    Good point - I think I'm guilty of what most people on this board are - wanting everything to be perfect the very day the Pre gets released! If PalmOS is anything to go by there'll be a program or fix for just about anything.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    See the Pre Calculator at
    http://link.brightcove.com/services/...tid=6825152001 (around T-7 minutes). Maybe the options menu may have a conversion or scientific calc option.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts

I may have made that up.

LOL!!!
    Scientific Calculator webapp:

Apple - Web apps - Belfry SciCalc

That might help some folx out until we get a real one on the pre.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Just tried that web app--totally awesome! I'd never pay for a calculator aslong as that is available. It even has RPN!
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Apple - Web apps - Calculate Your Tip - Calculate Amount Per Person Tip Calculator. I think they have a few of these.
    iPhone Converter converter... you can only view this on the phone, not on your desktop. Choose category, then what you are converting from and to. If I come across something simpler I will post it.
    Conversion calculators

Great for people like me who grew up with the metric system.
    A LOT of these web apps are VERY good. I just add them to my launcher and it looks and acts just like a new application. As long as the sites stay up they will work really well!
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    This on line calculator works. There are many others also.
    Google does a lot of conversions:
    Google Web Search Features

Also wolframalpha will do some, and has the iphone version: Wolfram