Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The Pre released in July??? Bad because the 3rd gen. iPhone MAY be coming. 32GB iPhone rumors also are bad news, if true.

I hope July isn't the case. April at the latest. Palm needs to beat the next iPhone to market. June tends to be iPhone month with revisions in September. If iPhone rumors start popping up again, people will be waiting until June to see what the new one is like. I even saw a rumor they may announce something next month and release in June.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    The Pre released in July??? Bad because the 3rd gen. iPhone MAY be coming. 32GB iPhone rumors also are bad news, if true.

I hope July isn't the case. April at the latest. Palm needs to beat the next iPhone to market. June tends to be iPhone month with revisions in September. If iPhone rumors start popping up again, people will be waiting until June to see what the new one is like. I even saw a rumor they may announce something next month and release in June.
    I completely agree. If Palm doesn't release by March (or April at the very latest) they're gonna shoot themselves in the foot. They know Apple will come out with some big announcement by June and I agree that it'll probably be the 32GB iphone with a bunch of cool new features (copy and paste should probably be a given by now and video features as well). A lot of people that would consider switching to sprint for the Pre may just wait it out for apple another month if Palm waits 'til June or July. I've said it before and I'll say it again... I think for Palm to be successful they need two major releases to come very soon. 1) Release the SDK publicly by the end of January (even if its a beta version), and 2) release the Pre by the end of March or early April. This will make all the excited developers happy and motivated to develop and/or convert their apps to work on the Pre and also give a quick turnaround time from announcement to release. Apple has been very successful time and time again with their practice of making announcements and delivering as early as the next morning. This makes all the drooling people go out and grab one right away. Palm has our attention, now they have to deliver!
    I purchased the Storm about 2 weeks ago and as much as I hate switching phones, I am going to return it and going back to my Treo 700P. I'm glad I didn't part with it.

Dislikes:
    Battery life is no good..
    Clicking screen--I just can't get use to it.
    Accidently press other keys while trying to use it with one hand, heck even with both hands I accidently turn on the camera constantly.
    Virtually not MAC support through RIM.
    Very slow when LOCKING and UN-LOCKING device.

Email clients rock. This is where BB rules
    Sleek interface, it's actually cool and simple
    Sound quality is really good compared to previous Treos.
    Facebook and Myspace apps are nice.
  4.    #24  
    Just wanted to bump this thread from Early Jan...

PLEASE PLEASE don't rush this phone.. The Blackberry Storm STILL hasn't had an official update in 6 months for a laggy phone that doesn't know what side is up, crashes.. runs out of memory, doesn't dim sometimes and kills the battery, among many other things i can't remember this second.

I have a Storm now, and am running a Beta OS that tends to crash right as i'm trying to dial into a conference call.. and makes me late.

People were screaming and yelling for this phone just like we are starting to do now.. Let them ship a product that works!!
    In general, I agree--people won't remember if the phone is a few weeks late. They will, however, remember if it is as buggy as the Storm at release. So it's better to deliver a satisfying product late than a crappy product on time.

But Palm is crunched for time no matter how you cut it. Since their survival is at stake, they're going to have to get some phones out the door here pretty soon. I don't think Palm can afford to either be significantly late or deliver a crappy product. They're caught between a rock and a hard place.
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    Just wanted to bump this thread from Early Jan...

PLEASE PLEASE don't rush this phone.. The Blackberry Storm STILL hasn't had an official update in 6 months for a laggy phone that doesn't know what side is up, crashes.. runs out of memory, doesn't dim sometimes and kills the battery, among many other things i can't remember this second.

I have a Storm now, and am running a Beta OS that tends to crash right as i'm trying to dial into a conference call.. and makes me late.

People were screaming and yelling for this phone just like we are starting to do now.. Let them ship a product that works!!
    Wow..1) do you have a bad device or 2) like bashing the Storm or 3) need a little help with your OS?

The Storm got an official update (to .75) soon after launch and it has not been out for 6 months yet.

Which Beta are you running? I have used at least 4 of them and generally they improved the device. At a minimum you should be running .109 now if not higher. At this point, the Storm is the best smartphone I have ever owned and crashes/freezes less than my 700P. I would rate it an 8 on a scale from 1-10. With 9s and 10s never seen by any device.

Generally, I do agree what the Storm was launched with a horrible OS and if they had waited for the update to .75 the launch would have been better and a lot of people would have complaied less/kept their devices.

Anyway, back to the Pre..I hope it launches well. I love my Storm compared to my 700P but would love for my wife to get a Pre so I can play with it.
  7.    #27  
    might have a bad one.. i love the phone.. but my Treo 650 NEVER crashed granted i really didn't have to many apps.

I just installed .122 Bell leaked OS it's running ok only crashed 2 times so far.. once the screen went crazy and froze.. and it froze another time while on a call my calendar reminder went off.. i got an email and a sms at the same time... POOF 5 minute reboot.

Again i like the phone and what it can do over the Treo 650, just can't stand the lag (that is getting MUCH better with each leak)
    2 of my roomates have bbs and a girl im kinda talking too, I wanted to get in on the stupid bb messinging thing. I know Im not really as big a noob as I seem Im just a few years out of the game. Got complacent with my moto Q, I really like the nes emulator, anyway what I was getting at was I heard about all of the problems with the storm when it came out, I wanted to try one out so I went to the store and all their display phones had the fake sticker screen and didnt allow you to try them out which is really stupid cuz the mall its in has a sprint store and an apple store which that let you play with all the display models
    Quote Originally Posted by theswami View Post
    Wow..1) do you have a bad device or 2) like bashing the Storm or 3) need a little help with your OS?

The Storm got an official update (to .75) soon after launch and it has not been out for 6 months yet.

Which Beta are you running? I have used at least 4 of them and generally they improved the device. At a minimum you should be running .109 now if not higher. At this point, the Storm is the best smartphone I have ever owned and crashes/freezes less than my 700P. I would rate it an 8 on a scale from 1-10. With 9s and 10s never seen by any device.

Generally, I do agree what the Storm was launched with a horrible OS and if they had waited for the update to .75 the launch would have been better and a lot of people would have complaied less/kept their devices.

Anyway, back to the Pre..I hope it launches well. I love my Storm compared to my 700P but would love for my wife to get a Pre so I can play with it.
    The Blackberry Storm is widely considered one of the poorest electronic product launches in recent years. They tried to rush it out there in time for the holidays and hit some impressive sales figures, but between buggy software, issuing replacement devices and just general customer dissatisfaction they've really taken a beating on it in the press.

I think the similarity being drawn with it is the Storm in spite of its issues is a very promising device (I love the idea of a touch BB). If Palm has a launch that is anything like this with the Pre, they won't survive. They can't afford to replace the devices, the word-of-mouth will destroy any momentum they have and their next gen OS will be as good as dead as the buggy software will turn off any users from adopting their device(s). The Storm is a good cautionary tale for Palm. It's exactly what they need to make sure they don't do. I'm extremely hopeful for this phone. My only concern is its lack of responsiveness when pressing in some of the videos. It happens in both the emulation (as seen on Giz the other day) as well as in general use. Hope they get this working right before launch or shortly thereafter. Otherwise, I'm in full agreement on the 'most important phone device to launch in 2 years'.
    Yep, the most amazing thing to me was how Palm went from zero to hero overnight at CES. It was like watching a bad nerd movie Even Treocentral dumped em from their annual dance off of comparing various smartphones. After CES? They went Precentral on us.

But there's still a ton of skepticism out there and a bad launch will kill em.
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    might have a bad one.. i love the phone.. but my Treo 650 NEVER crashed granted i really didn't have to many apps.

I just installed .122 Bell leaked OS it's running ok only crashed 2 times so far.. once the screen went crazy and froze.. and it froze another time while on a call my calendar reminder went off.. i got an email and a sms at the same time... POOF 5 minute reboot.

Again i like the phone and what it can do over the Treo 650, just can't stand the lag (that is getting MUCH better with each leak)
    Wow..I have had maybe 3 random reboots in like 3-4 months (since I installed my first leak...90 maybe). I have 18 apps installed with two running 24/7 (Wall Street Journal and BuzzMe). Additionally, I just really do not see too much lag since the leaks started coming out. The biggest lag I have is the switch from letters to numbers via the shift.

In general I think the QC stinks on the device because of the 6 people I know with them, 2 have had multiple replacements and the others love them once they discovered leaked software. Over at that other site, you can just see that some people have had a great experience while others hate it. It seems odd but the OS experience is a little different for everyone. You have to wonder if it is the device itself or software conflicts.

If you have .122 installed, time your reboot..it cannot be 5 minutes. It should be more like 2-3 minutes.

It is funny my Treos 600 and 700P crashed/froze pretty frequently so the Storm is a godsend. Minus the threaded SMS of course...
    Maybe thats why they are taking so long to release. They want to do it right
  13.    #33  
    haha DARN!!

You just reminded me the Storm doesn't have threaded sms!!! thats the thing that annoys me the most..

Actually after 2 days the battery life is MUCH better and no crash... Looks like the OS and battery settled in..

But i Still Think the Palm Pre will be a MUCH more solid phone out of the box then the storm was.. It will still have it's issues just like any phone.. but it will have MUCH less issues the the Storm.
    IMHO, they have already Blackberry Stormed the launch. I was all set to buy a BB Storm (glad i didnt) but they had this cloud of secrecy as to when it was coming out. Palm has taken that to a whole new level (or maybe its sprint)
  15.    #35  
    At least there are lots of people that have had their hands on it.. and developers are pounding out programs..

For the Storm.. there were Verizon commercials that just said... "It's Coming" No one even knew what it looked like until VERY close to the launch and until Verizon showed it in a commercial.. I think Palm is doing much better... Again we want the product but it's gotta work! damned if you do... damned if you don't LoL

Heck blackberry Storms are buy 1 get one free now... sales must have dropped off the cliff for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by m12x13adass View Post
    Someone education me. What exactly does the new BB OS do better than the OS on the old blackberries? To me, it seems like the core is relatively the same.
    The new BB are running a separate application processor so it is capable of higher performance. The hard part is getting everything to work together seamlessly and that is new for BB and most likely where they are having their troubles.
    Is it multi core, or a completely separate proc
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    I have a Storm. If you are a power user and have been using the leaked updates from RIM, the Storm has become quick, responsive, and stable. However, it still is not going to keep me from getting a Pre. The BB Browser, although much improved and servicable, is not good enough for me. Also, with the talks of Flash 10 coming to the Pre and no chance on BB, that's the nail in the coffin for my Storm.
    Quote Originally Posted by nosepicker View Post
    Is it multi core, or a completely separate proc
    I heard a dual core Qualcomm chip, don't know which one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Premiac View Post
    IMHO, they have already Blackberry Stormed the launch. I was all set to buy a BB Storm (glad i didnt) but they had this cloud of secrecy as to when it was coming out. Palm has taken that to a whole new level (or maybe its sprint)
    If I remember right, wasn't the Bold's launch even worse in that respect? My brother got one, but he was waiting for a long time. I seem to remember delay after delay with that (for the US).

Edit: Apparently announced in May, reviewed in August, and finally actually released in November.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast