Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    For those of you that intend to use the phone for purely personal use, there are a lot of threads out there that discuss the pros and cons (lack of external storage, video, music, etc.) but I hadn't really seen a thread for those of us whom our business and personal lives exist in the grey. Any small business owner or employee realizes that the divide between business and work doesn't exist, here's my take on why I'll be purchasing the Palm Pre.

Background: Sprint customer. I started with the Handspring Treo 600, moving from 600 to 650 (BAD) to 700p (Best) to a 755p before finally defecting to a Blackberry Curve this past fall. I tried to like an iPhone 3G but AT&Terrible and the lack of any real business functionality (not to mention physical keyboard) killed that option. I used it for 29 of the 30 days. I TRIED to LIKE it, but in the end she went back. I currently own an iPod touch and use it for music and movies. I tried the Treo 800w for a day...

We are a small business that repairs laboratory washing equipment for pharmaceutical research companies, hospitals, and universities. www.washersinc.com for more info...

Now here is why the Pre matters to a SMB owner:
    1. Keyboard: This is a deal breaker for me. I have to have a physical keyboard. I reply to about half of my emails from my phone. Typing on screen is a joke. If you use the phone for mainly media related things it wouldn't bother you as much.

2. WebOS: As someone who is RARELY at my desk, having access to the cloud is important. My website is hosted, my email is hosted, my Customer Relationship Management Software (CRM) is hosted, my accounting software is hosted. With WebOS I can PAY someone money to give me access to that EASILY. I can integrate my CRM contacts into my address book and STILL KEEP them separate. I can probably even have someone right a program to have all of my CRM information on my phone! That's FANTASTIC!!

I'm even planning on having a mobile payment gateway and our inspection program written for the Pre. Basic PIM implementation is very important and Palm seems to get that.

Also, the fact that I don't have to mix my personal and business information anymore is great. We'll see how it's implemented and how extensive it is.

3. True multitasking: I don't know how many times (iPhone, Palm OS, Blackberry, WinMob) I've been in the middle of something and get a call, email, text, etc. and I'm interrupted. I like that I can choose when to get interrupted. If I'm on the phone and use my calendar, call waiting won't take me away while I'm trying to schedule an important meeting.

4. Replaceable Battery: Most people never buy a second battery for their phone. Just like a laptop. People just complain about battery life in these All-In-One devices. iPhone...useless. I had that phone die on me every day for three weeks. I own four 700p batteries, two 755p batteries and four blackberry batteries. I always have a spare on my person at ALL times. At least twice to three times a week I need it. Most people won't. SMB owners will. They NEED their phone. It's a lifeline to business. Missed calls mean missed money.

5. GPS: I have a dedicated GPS unit for driving, but I'm often in locations where I don't have it easily accessible and I need to know the location of the closes Grainger (industrial supply). GPS is a lifesaver for those answers. And I don't really care if it's aGPS or standalone because honestly, when am I ever without cell phone reception. That's what my TomTom is for... driving in the middle of nowhere (desert).

6. Bluetooth: Headset. Enough said.

7. Mute Switch: Man I miss this on my Blackberry. I LOVE LOVE LOVE being able to flip a little switch to take it to vibrate. Easy to do quickly with a client.

8. Vibrate: I really hope that it's STRONG. My Blackberry Curve is great. When I vibrate I know. The iPhone was anemic and so were most of the Treos (700p the strongest). I really hope that it's not weak. That would really be disappointing.

9. Real Internet: I use the internet a TON on my phone, especially traveling (airlines, rental cars, etc.) Having a REAL browser is important. Especially for financial sites.

Things that don't matter to me:
    1. Music, movies, videos.... these items are just a battery suck. I use my iPod touch for that. That's what it's good at.

2. Tethering (BT): This could be useful for some business owners, but I have a dedicated Air Card from Sprint for that.

3. WiFi:I may be in the minority but I could care less about WiFi. EvDo Rev A is plenty fast enough for me and it's WAY MORE AVAILABLE than WiFi. Ever try using your laptop WiFi in the airport.... HAHAHAHA.... slow slow slow.

Every business is different and I'm looking forward to seeing more details about the email program and phone application since these are my most used apps (besides my CRM). I think this phone is by far the most useful phone I've seen debuted in a while. I have a friend who is a store manager for Sprint and she's already told me she's going to hook me up when they ship... ;o)

And regardless of the price point, from a business perspective, it's all about functionality.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    I as a Small Business Owner, agree 100% with you. I have no idea how the signal is in my area with Sprint but with VZ is is excellent. I cannot wait to have a crack at this amazing phone. Right now I am using a Curve on VZ and iPhone on AT&T. I know I know AT&T but it allows me to use Mobile Me with the iPhone and it syncs all of my 1100 customers and calendar so that I have them with me all of the time.
  3. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    Well said. I am in the process of taking my business's online hosting/email elsewhere and the new provider will have even more awesome online access for calendar and contacts/email management.

I own a small business also, albeit currently still super-small and suitable for managing alongside still working full time for someone else (who is a completely cool with me doing a similar thing on the side by myself, I am too small of a fish to care about considering that I do something smaller scale for a different type of client, but I digress). My biggest issue to date with my Centro was the lack of true push email without my battery draining due to constant network connection. Part of that was failure on behalf of my soon to be former hosting provider, and the other part I feel is the device itself.

I am REALLY looking forward to this new phone.
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    The first thing I did when I set up my own business was move all of my PIM/email into the cloud. You just have too much to do without worrying about IT Infrastructure.

Push email really is a must for my type of work, the ability to instantly get messages from clients and instantly response when required has been a fantastic boon.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidlw View Post
    I as a Small Business Owner, agree 100% with you. I have no idea how the signal is in my area with Sprint but with VZ is is excellent. I cannot wait to have a crack at this amazing phone. Right now I am using a Curve on VZ and iPhone on AT&T. I know I know AT&T but it allows me to use Mobile Me with the iPhone and it syncs all of my 1100 customers and calendar so that I have them with me all of the time.
    One thing that's great about Sprint is that most (maybe all?) of the plans include no roaming charges. That means you're really basically getting both the Sprint network AND the Verizon network in one.

In other words, if you have great Verizon signal, you should have no issues with Sprint signal, whether its a native Sprint signal or whether its roaming.
  6. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    I am working on getting all of my contacts/cal online. SLow move
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Jhoff if have no idea how Sprint works, does Sprint use Verizons towers. So would I have coverage everywhere Verizon does? If that is the case, Sprint may be a viable choice. I know that my VZ gets good coverage everywhere that I go and in my office. Please explain how the Sprint coverage works.
    Verizon and Sprint have roaming agreements with each other, since they use the same technologies (aka CDMA and EVDO). Every new plan I can see on the Sprint website includes no roaming charges. In other words, when you have no signal with Sprint, you'll 'roam' onto the Verizon network, and not get charged for it. I have to admit though, I don't remember the last time I was anywhere that didn't have Sprint coverage, in the Northeast US at least.

Anyway, if you're concerned, Sprint has a 30-day guarantee:
    Try the Sprint network risk free for 30 days. If you are not completely satisfied, simply return your phone within 30 days and only pay the charges based on your actual usage.
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    but I hadn't really seen a thread for those of us whom our business and personal lives exist in the grey. Any small business owner or employee realizes that the divide between business and work doesn't exist, here's my take on why I'll be purchasing the Palm Pre..
    I own a business... the #1 reason I won't get a pre out the gate, you don't introduce something into your business that is not tested... I just "explained" that again to a small business that ordered 12 laptops that don't work for their needs.

With that said, as a business, I've not seen much in the pre that "blows" windows mobile away.

Matter of fact, for business use is there anything with the pre (even if it works correctly) that does anything better than windows mobile?

I'll get a pre once the guinea pigs are done cooking (and stuffed), but it won't be because it is the best business device.....

edit: and in truth, I don't know if it will be better or worse than win mob as a business device. No one knows at this point.
    Last edited by theog; 01/15/2009 at 08:20 PM.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    All I can add is just hope to hell the damn phone part of it actually works! I have found that I can adapt to just about anything (touch screen, no touch screen, keyboard, no keyboard) but if the phone does not make good, clear calls (incoming AND outgoing), then it is not a good business tool, IMO.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    I own a business... the #1 reason I won't get a pre out the gate, you don't introduce something into your business that is not tested... I just "explained" that again to a small business that ordered 12 laptops that don't work for their needs.

With that said, as a business, I've not seen much in the pre that "blows" windows mobile away.

Matter of fact, for business use is there anything with the pre (even if it works correctly) that does anything better than windows mobile?

I'll get a pre once the guinea pigs are done cooking (and stuffed), but it won't be because it is the best business device.....

edit: and in truth, I don't know if it will be better or worse than win mob as a business device. No one knows at this point.
    Oh, I fully agree about the testing part of the equation. Implementing something that is not tested is a poor business practice. If the phone isn't as good as my Blackberry, it'll go back.

The best part about the Pre is that it's BUILT ON ESTABLISHED STANDARDS. WebOS is HTML5, CSS, and Java for the programs. ANY WEB DEVELOPER CAN WRITE USEFUL APPS. Cheaply and reliably. Worst part about WinMob... reliability and battery life.

We'll see about the reliability and battery life. It's going to have a big hill to climb when it comes to comparing to the Blackberry about battery life. They seem to have figured it out pretty well with their notification system. We'll see how Palm implements it and how much of a suck it is on system resources.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    All I can add is just hope to hell the damn phone part of it actually works! I have found that I can adapt to just about anything (touch screen, no touch screen, keyboard, no keyboard) but if the phone does not make good, clear calls (incoming AND outgoing), then it is not a good business tool, IMO.
    Amen brother... That's why the Treo 800w sucked. "Can you say that again... I can't hear you..."
    Oh, I fully agree about the testing part of the equation. Implementing something that is not tested is a poor business practice. If the phone isn't as good as my Blackberry, it'll go back.

The best part about the Pre is that it's BUILT ON ESTABLISHED STANDARDS. WebOS is HTML5, CSS, and Java for the programs. ANY WEB DEVELOPER CAN WRITE USEFUL APPS. Cheaply and reliably. Worst part about WinMob... reliability and battery life.

We'll see about the reliability and battery life. It's going to have a big hill to climb when it comes to comparing to the Blackberry about battery life. They seem to have figured it out pretty well with their notification system. We'll see how Palm implements it and how much of a suck it is on system resources.
    My win mob gets great battery life and is the most stable device I've owned... well, on par with my treo 700wx... I've not had an issue with either. I own a q9c now...

Both gave great battery life...

Not an issue with win mob if palm develops a device and puts an adequate battery in it.... how is that the fault of the OS?

We don't even know about the pre yet, so I'd be very careful in making battery life remarks this early in the game. Knowing palm, they will put the smallest battery possible in the thing, just to save money and hit on a battery life of 3 hours. ROFL Get your AAA batteries ready!!!

Far as web "standards"... we won't go there... look at opera and how it does not work on sites, while ie 7/8 and ff 2/3 does... and opera is the best at those so-called "standards." We will see with the pre (wait, that rhymes). See pre pe wii.... lol
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts

I'm also a business owner and though I've yet to use a Pre, my guess is that it's going to do several things better than WinMo.

I've been a Treo user since the 270 and now own a WinMo powered Touch Pro. There are things that my 270 could do faster and better than this HTC thing ever will.

The truth is that all of these mobile platforms are incredibly powerful. Aside from screen size, my first laptop had half the specs of my last Treo (700P).

For me it all boils down to usability not capabilities. Palm has such a history of making software/hardware combos that are intuitive and easy to use one handed. I use my device a lot when I'm in the car and I have so many fond memories of doing things on my 700P without having to look down at the thing. There was a certain predictability there.

Though I've seen (and tried) many of the fantastic enhancements that the guys over at XDA developers have introduce for WinMo, there's not much they can do to overcome the platform's inherent usability challenges.

So to answer your question about things the Pre appears to do better than WinMo, here's my take (some of these are business specific, but for me, business and personal are pretty tightly integrated):

1. Multitasking. It appears as if the Pre's card motif clearly let's you see what you have running and have a level of certainty that it isn't running anymore, once you've discarded it via the "throw gesture". I'm continuously shocked to find that something I thought I had closed is still running in WinMo . . . sucking memory and taking me closer to that all to familiar crash.

2. Vibrate Smartly. I'm making an assumption here based on functionality previous Palm devices have had. In WinMo (at least on the Touch Pro), when I put my device on Vibrate, it stops making all noise. Of course you're thinking, like duh, but this holds true even when I have a headset plugged in. On my Treos, my phone could be on vibrate, but the device was still smart enough to make sounds through the headset when I had it plugged in. I can't tell you how many calls I've missed on my Touch Pro, because I had the headset on and the phone on Vibrate.

3. Phone Call Recording. Again, maybe a Touch Pro issue, but my Treo 700P could record both sides of a phone conversation. As a business owner, I would often record phone conferences and consultations with new clients. Personally I get distracted when I try to take notes during the call and have improved my information gathering activities. I'm not certain the Pre will have this capability, but there's at least a precedent.

4. Universal Search. Com'on now, this is a big deal. In WinMo, I have to navigate to a "Search" application and then wait for it to perform a desktop like search once I've entered what I want to search for and hit the Search Softkey. On the Pre, you slide out the keyboard and start typing and it starts immediately searching and showing results. Then it filters those results as I keep typing. This is a huge distinction.

I could go on, but in fairness I haven't touched the Pre any more than you have. I can say however, that I am very confident that because Palm only does mobile, the Pre will be great. When I look back at all the Palm/Handspring phones I've owned, it's always been those really simple innovations that made them most memorable to me. To this day, I'm still in disbelief that every smartphone manufactured, doesn't have a frickin' ringer switch! My Treo 270 had one and I bought that sucker in 2002!!!!

I think WinMo is a powerful and robust platform, but when it comes down to it most all smartphone functionality is commoditized. Every decent smartphone can "do" all of the stuff that needs to be done. The question is how does the user experience this. My Touch Pro does most everything I need it to do (sans a couple of the items I listed above). It's just that it doesn't do them as quickly, easily or elegantly as I've grown accustomed to with my Palm devices.

Palm has always been innovative in this area and that's where I expect the Pre to really set itself apart.
    My 2, it's all I can spare
    Treo 270 Treo 600 Treo 700P *** Unmentionable *** Pre {rooted}
    The Pre's battery will be the same 1150mAh that's in the Centro: http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/7...city-confirmed
    I hope they incorporate some of the feature set from Butler and let us control Alerts. It was a little bit annoying that you couldn't natively get a Palm phone to annoy you (loudly) if you missed a call or text. Butler did a great job.

To the OP, keep in mind that wi-fi is great for saving battery when you're in range. I assume that the Pre will smartly switch between the carrier and local wi-fi when it can.
    Palm Pilot -> Palm IIIX -> Tungsten T3 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre
    I'm not a business owner, but I do use my Treo in business all the time. The key feature for me on the Treo is the calendar. I use Pimlico Datebk, and would have a real hard time going to a calendar that lacked it's key features (things like floating events, recurring reminders set n days in advance are two). Syncing multiple calendars does me no good if the calendar program itself doesn't have the features I need.

And I'm concerned that with its "prosumer" focus, the calendar won't be much better than the existing Treo (P-OS) calendar. Time will tell.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.

Sage comments.

Worst part about WinMob... reliability and battery life.
    how do you have any idea that the Pre will have better battery life than wm such as treo pro etc? I bet it is worse.

How do you have any idea how stable Pre will be?
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    how do you have any idea that the Pre will have better battery life than wm such as treo pro etc? I bet it is worse.

How do you have any idea how stable Pre will be?
    You must be a reporter, you took what you wanted from what he said and twisted it.

He also said:
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34
    and
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34
    If the phone isn't as good as my Blackberry, it'll go back.
    Both indications that until the Pre officialy comes out, he nor anyone else knows how well it will perform against the competion or how well it manages power consumption.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    You must be a reporter, you took what you wanted from what he said and twisted it.
    so you are one too because you took my comment out of context? it is a thread on the Pre where a commenter pointed to what he considers a deficiency on WM.

I guess you think the number of us who caught it and took exception to the comment on that grounds are all reporters? There are dozens of face value comments on stability vs winmob on forums that are based on nothing except PRPRPR.

So if I exhibited a reporters skepticism -- that is a compliment

We didn't twist it. the point I and others made is the the idea that WM sucks battery and is not perfectly stable on a thread about the Pre, where the explicit topic is the Pre raises the unanswered and user data vacuum on what the Pre will do in those regards.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast