Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    I sure hope the Pre has low power consumption whatever the final battery size is. I would like to break the habit of having to constantly charge my phone as the day goes on.
    It should also be noted that recharge time on these guys are almost negligible. I've found that I can get almost 50-75% charge back on a little under an hour. Not that bad for sitting at your desk and/or a car drive.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Don't forget there is a 1350 mah centro sized battery ;-) So we really do not know which one is in the Pre. And even if its the smaller one, the larger one is readily available.
    This is excellent news for Centro owners. Obtaining aftermarket batteries in a couple of years will be easy.
  5. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    I noticed something that I posted about in the 25min video thread. The charger unit (palm battery charger) is the same as what I own for my Centro. So assuming it takes the Centro battery, I already have two batteries as well as the battery charging unit.

Screenshot from video:
    Ohhh noooo, this cannot be. Seeing as the Pre is using a faster processor, bigger screen AND Wifi than the Centro (which is itself an abomination of a device battery-wise) i am shocked.

Unless Palm has been handed down some new ninpou from the gods on battery saving techniques previously thought extinct, i have bad reservations about this. Let's keep fingers crossed that they have something up their sleeves when they release standby and talk times.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    This is a screen shot from the CES announcement (about a quarter into the video) where the battery in the phone was shown.

Didn't plan to do all the measuring work but it seems the battery is the same size, but the height could be slightly smaller (by about 3mm). Battery clearly is black in the image, so it could very well be a different battery, the 1350mAh version? ..here's hoping so.

WebOS probably isn't as bad as the battery-sucking Windows Mobile so I agree with everyone, power management varies between the os so battery physical size is only half the equation of a phone's battery life.

Pre's Dimensions
    Width: 59.5mm (2.34 inches)
    Height: 100.5mm (3.95 inches)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by opacityzero; 01/15/2009 at 12:04 PM.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Not necessarily. PalmOS 5 basically has atrocious power management and still manages to get 2 full days (with Push turned off) on a charge. Linux is much better at power plus as I said there are larger Centro sized batteries out there.
    Heh, do a Google Search on "G1 battery life", you will see that Linux (well, apparently Android at least) doesn't handle Battery life that well....I think it's in how sloppy your coding is to be truthful. I hope that it has the same battery life as the POS (I use WM Treo's and get a full day, whereas my POS lasted 2-3 on a charge).
    honestly - none of my Treos / Centos have handled battery life very well . Not becassue the phone was bad or the battery to small. It;s becasue the phone does so much - e-mail, IM. TM, Contact, Games, word files, Password storage, pictures, music - when you use all of those functions u quickly kill the battery

i alsways charge my phone everyday - midday at the offce and in the car - and evey night. NOn of the other phones we discuss would be anyd different
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    It will probably be adequate, but you really have to wonder why they didn't shoe-horn a monster in there- especially considering this is a ground up design.

Dissapointing but far from a deal breaker.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    Incorrect! the 700P and 755P have EXCELLENT battery life!

Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    honestly - none of my Treos / Centos have handled battery life very well . Not becassue the phone was bad or the battery to small. It;s becasue the phone does so much - e-mail, IM. TM, Contact, Games, word files, Password storage, pictures, music - when you use all of those functions u quickly kill the battery

i alsways charge my phone everyday - midday at the offce and in the car - and evey night. NOn of the other phones we discuss would be anyd different
    its very difficult to judge the batt life based on this, we will have to see real world test.
    Quote Originally Posted by though View Post
    I can't comment on the 700p, but with marginal wireless signal (I'm on Sprint), the standard 755p battery life is atrocious! I'm a physician, and my hospital has lots of "dead spots". It's not unusual for my battery to be depleted by 4pm. I bought the high-capacity Seidio 2200 mAh, and on a good day, it lasts till 11pm, so I had to buy a charger to keep at the hospital for my 24 hr calls.

I'm very disappointed to hear the standard Pre battery is only 1150 mAh. No doubt it's part of the marketing plan for Palm to sell more accessories! I wonder if high-capacity batteries will be compatible with the inductive cover option.
    Quote Originally Posted by though View Post
    Though -
    I had a 700P. It may have had an excellent battery live based on the size on the batter and other similar phone. However, that was not my point. All the different things the phone does, it's in use constantly, the battery simply does not last.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepysurf View Post
    I'm very disappointed to hear the standard Pre battery is only 1150 mAh. No doubt it's part of the marketing plan for Palm to sell more accessories! I wonder if high-capacity batteries will be compatible with the inductive cover option.
    Thats exactly what I was wondering. No matter what battery they put in the phone, someone will always develop a better 3rd party battery shortly after. Who knows if it'll work with the touchstone though.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    The combination of the confirmed feeble battery and no microSDHC (not to mention Sprint) makes for a huge a deal breaker for me. I could live with one of the 2 technical shortcomings (no microSDHC or no batter).

But the combination of both really blows. I'm a long-time CDMA user and I've watched my 700p and 755p suck down Seidio extended batteries like there's no tomorrow.

I don't care how power-thrifty WebOS/Linux or the new TI chipset manage to be, there's no disputing the fact that more pixels + larger screen + more RAM/flash to power + faster CPU + CDMA + wi-fi + more data transmissions to the cloud = EPIC FAIL for battery life!

P.S. Since it's the Centro/800w design, then Seidio's existing 1350mAh battery should fit it. That's still about 300mAh below what I consider the bare minimum for effective CDMA smartphone usage on a full business day. I am using the stock 700p 1600mAh battery as my baseline point of reference, by the way.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    I thought that the Pre at CES was using a 1200mAh battery which is the newer Palm version of the Centro battery. They're interchangeable.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    I was told by a Palm rep at CES 2x that it was "about 1200mAh"

Dieter is saying here that it's 1150mAh. Are some Centros (like the newer 128mb ones) shipping with higher capacity batteries? I must've missed that.

50mAh unfortunately isn't going to make a big difference one way or another.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast