Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    That makes a certain amount of sense, but it wouldn't be the first time that Palm went against the grain of logic. I certainly hope that you're right, (and it makes me feel better that you've said this) but I don't understand why they wouldn't explicitly state that the earbuds have a microphone built-in while listing all the other specs.
    I guess they want us to make the assumption based on this line: "When a call comes through, quickly switch to phone mode using the answer/end call button."

Edit: Looking at it again I think there is a difference between headphones and headsets.
    Headphone = speakers/no mic
    Headset = speakers/mic
    Quote Originally Posted by Krod301 View Post
    I guess they want us to make the assumption based on this line: "When a call comes through, quickly switch to phone mode using the answer/end call button."
    Quite possibly except the statements get very close to saying something without saying it - which could be deliberate... or not.

It certainly wouldn't make much sense to have the "convenience" of a call-end button, let's say, when you've already got the phone up to your mouth to talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Krod301 View Post
    Edit: Looking at it again I think there is a difference between headphones and headsets.
    Headphone = speakers/no mic
    Headset = speakers/mic
    That's how I tend to think of them. I hope you folks are right.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Ok, I have to add that, if it's as simple as we'd like to think, it makes no sense that a Palm employee - one to whom we are forwarded to find out *product information* - lacked this knowledge.

Actually, it's ridiculous, either way.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Ok, I have to add that, if it's as simple as we'd like to think, it makes no sense that a Palm employee - one to whom we are forwarded to find out *product information* - lacked this knowledge.

Actually, it's ridiculous, either way.
    Wow, you are pissed at Palm, lol. C'mon tell us how you really feel, let it all out. I'm listening...
    Quote Originally Posted by cary328is View Post
    Thanks! I was just about to post that. I'm tired of hearing this battery complaint. It's not even as much about battery capacity as it is about POWER MANAGEMENT! Let's say you stick the same amount of gas in a V8 that you do in a V4 car with a hybrid engine. Which goes further? DUH
    I don't really agree with this. It is not a proper analogy, The actual call radio is not any different, no is the wifi, nor the GPS chip or bluetooth. There is no evidence the screens are more efficient and in fact it is simply bigger and almost certainly a higher power draw, than that on the Centro and 800w which use this same a battery.

Components use battery, power management can make some improvements but not much in the scale of things.

Given the dependence on the could and synergy it is very likely that with the 1150 battery that battery life will be average to poor.

Respectfully a proper analogy would not involve v8 vs 4 cylinder, and certainly not vs hybrid, but two V8's. The Pre may have a slightly better contol syster on the v8, but almost all the time it uses the same or even more gas.

to carry that analogy properly the question is whether a V8 like the Pre should have the same 10 gallon gas tank as a v4 or hybrid.

the last fully desinged Palm phone, the 800w failed in good part due to battery, which was the chief complaint and listed as the biggest drawback even among those who otherwise loved the phone. Palm does not have a recent history of giving battery life a priority -- this is also witnessed byt he thriving third party market in extra capacity batteries, the functional ones of which require humpback battery covers.

We will all know soon enough, but skepticism on battery life with Palms 1150 is well founded at this point. The major components are not more efficient
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    I don't really agree with this. It is not a proper analogy, The actual call radio is not any different, no is the wifi, nor the GPS chip or bluetooth. There is no evidence the screens are more efficient and in fact it is simply bigger and almost certainly a higher power draw, than that on the Centro and 800w which use this same a battery.

Components use battery, power management can make some improvements but not much in the scale of things.

Given the dependence on the could and synergy it is very likely that with the 1150 battery that battery life will be average to poor.

Respectfully a proper analogy would not involve v8 vs 4 cylinder, and certainly not vs hybrid, but two V8's. The Pre may have a slightly better contol syster on the v8, but almost all the time it uses the same or even more gas.

to carry that analogy properly the question is whether a V8 like the Pre should have the same 10 gallon gas tank as a v4 or hybrid.

the last fully desinged Palm phone, the 800w failed in good part due to battery, which was the chief complaint and listed as the biggest drawback even among those who otherwise loved the phone. Palm does not have a recent history of giving battery life a priority -- this is also witnessed byt he thriving third party market in extra capacity batteries, the functional ones of which require humpback battery covers.

We will all know soon enough, but skepticism on battery life with Palms 1150 is well founded at this point. The major components are not more efficient
    Agreed that skepticism is well founded. But we don't know how efficient any of this is going to be. Just because it uses CDMA, GPS, and Wifi doesn't mean that the power draw for those radios is fixed. The transmitting portion of the radios do have a floor based on radiated power, but there are efficiencies to be gained in getting the power to the antenna. I think we should expect that the Pre will last a solid day with decent use. To expect less would be letting Palm off the hook. To expect more would just be wishful thinking.

All I know is that there are some phones out there with really great battery life, despite small batteries and good capabilities. I remain hopeful for a good solid day with the included battery.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    the battery question is just another reason I like to wait a few weeks and see what inevitable bugs surface. Often I wait another 4-6 months to get the non-beta second release. See the 700p vs 755p, sure glad i waited. This doesn't diminish my excitement for the Pre and Webos!
    Palm V > samsung i500> treo 650 > treo 755p> Centro> Pre
  8. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts

+1
    very well said,
    I have an extended battery for my 800W. This phone is (IMHO) is the best optimized phone I have seen for performance/ battery , yet the juice runs out after five hours of total use ( 30 min calling, three email syncs).
    I ended up buying an extended battery , life is much better now.

If Pre battery turns out to be the same of Centro / 800w, it will be horrible regardless of the tweaking of software.
    On the good side , we have third party batteries with extended capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    On the good side , we have third party batteries with extended capacity.
    Be prepared for extended batteries requiring a larger door to be incompatible with the Touchstone charger.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Regarding Blackberry battery life -

The Blackberry uses a special "trick" to achieve constant push email with great battery life. Most phones must keep a constant data connection open to receive PUSH events (otherwise how would the phone know there is data?) The same with sync - a constant firing up of the radio and creating a separate data connection. This *destroys* battery life for most smart phones.

How the Blackberry does it:

Ever wonder why you often need a special Blackberry plan? The BIS and BES servers that you use for email also handle a lot of back-end work for the phone. Rather than making a direct connect to several push servers or syncing email, IM messages, over the web - everything goes through BIS/BES. The server downloads all of your emails from several providers, handles blackberry messenger messages, web page compression, etc. This is part of the solution. The other trick is that the BIS/BES notifies the phone of incoming data *OVER THE CARRIER SIGNAL*. There is not a separate data connection for this push. It comes over the same "heartbeat" the phone has with the towers to check for incoming phone calls and SMS messages.

Every phone makes a connection out to it's tower several times a second - this is how it lets the tower know it's status and its there to receive calls and SMS messages. The BIS/BES server that the carrier runs has a connection to the towers also and can alert BB devices of network events (emails, ims, data etc). This saves tremendously on battery life and gives instant push.

Synergy is a great concept but sadly I don't think it has any type of carrier support data feed (just a standard 3G connection). I do think this will be a problem for battery life.
    The Palm Treo Pro has a 1500 battery and it still manges to be a very small phone. Why couldn't they incorporate this battery into the Pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by STEVESKI07 View Post
    The Palm Treo Pro has a 1500 battery and it still manges to be a very small phone. Why couldn't they incorporate this battery into the Pre?
    Because it's even smaller?
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by STEVESKI07 View Post
    Because the Pro is aimed at a more upscale and demanding user group.

It is not the critics of Palm or Pre that said the PPro is aimed at professionals and Pre is aimed at the "big fat middle" , it is Palm that coined and used the term and used it to differentiate its prducts.

The Pre is innovative, exciting and compelling, but it for certain is not aimed at enterprise and hard core business users -- as an early market .

But you can see a number of hardware and features corners cut on the Pre as they need to get it to market at a cheap enough price. You have to keep in mind Sprint want to use this to move large groups of people to higher cost plans than they are currently paying, that is the purpose of the product for them. If hardware is included that pushing the cost above $200 those people are going to look at iphone more favorably.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    Because it's even smaller?
    nah the centro 1150 if in the Pre isnt really smaller that the 1500 in the Pro, the 1150 is older style and probably just cheaper.
  14. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Be prepared for extended batteries requiring a larger door to be incompatible with the Touchstone charger.
    oh well,
    I would happily spend my seventy dollars on a extended battery rather than buying the touchstone (which IMO is a daylight robbery).
    Some people find touchstone worth the $ 70 investment , a micro USB charger will be just fine for me.
    The money saved can be used for the extended battery if not on a protective skin
    1150 battery would be nice, i have so many from the centro & 800 but what if they make it a 1200 battery instead?
    If it is a bigger, old style 1150 battery using cheaper cells then we will quickly see 3rd party companies making ~1500mAh batteries in the exact same size with higher quality, more dense cells. Both premium, expensive ones like Seidio and cheap knockoff manufacturers. Both should be a significant boost over stock batteries.
    Quote Originally Posted by cscoot03 View Post
    1150 battery would be nice, i have so many from the centro & 800 but what if they make it a 1200 battery instead?
    220, 221, whatever it takes.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    220, 221, whatever it takes.
    Wanna beer?

It's eight thirty in the morning.

Scotch?
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    Wanna beer?
    It's eight thirty in the morning.
    Scotch?
    I think you misread his joke.
    I think you misread his joke.
    Well, at least he caught the reference for sure. I think he got it. Glad you enjoyed it as well.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456