Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cary328is View Post
    Thanks! I was just about to post that. I'm tired of hearing this battery complaint. It's not even as much about battery capacity as it is about POWER MANAGEMENT! Let's say you stick the same amount of gas in a V8 that you do in a V4 car with a hybrid engine. Which goes further? DUH
    My issue is , none , ENGADGET, GIZMODO, ....... wrote about battery in their initial reviews from Jan 2009. And none in the media asked PALM / SPRINT questions about the battery capacity. Sure PALM said its got a removable battery , but never clarified on the usage time. IMHO, battery is as much important as say multitouch. Without the battery capacity we don't know how long this thing runs.

I feel suspicious already on the capacity. I doubt this would get thru the day.

Back to what you said , sure you can come up with the stats on which one goes further , so long as you know the tank capacity
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    My issue is , none , ENGADGET, GIZMODO, ....... wrote about battery in their initial reviews from Jan 2009. And none in the media asked PALM / SPRINT questions about the battery capacity. Sure PALM said its got a removable battery , but never clarified on the usage time. IMHO, battery is as much important as say multitouch. Without the battery capacity we don't know how long this thing runs.

I feel suspicious already on the capacity. I doubt this would get thru the day.

Back to what you said , sure you can come up with the stats on which one goes further , so long as you know the tank capacity
    This is a brand new operating system on brand new hardware. Knowing the battery capacity means nothing so long as we don't understand how efficiently this software and hardware utilize the power provided.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  3. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    This is a brand new operating system on brand new hardware. Knowing the battery capacity means nothing so long as we don't understand how efficiently this software and hardware utilize the power provided.
    Agree,
    OTOH , another fruit phone company was able to tell the public that their first ever phone can get 5 hours of battery time.

PALM is not new to the mobile game , I am sure they tested it, and I am sure they know the average range. But the topic was suspiciously slipping amongst the synergy, deck of cards .....

Personally I am not expecting this thing to last more than 5 hours.
    Which , if true , is to me is middle of the road performance.
    Five hours of constant use would be fine by me. In fact, I imagine it would be fine to most of the world.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  5. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Five hours of constant use would be fine by me. In fact, I imagine it would be fine to most of the world.
    Sure , maybe most folks will be happy with 5 hours.
    If they can stretch it to 8 hours , the need to carry extra chargers will be eliminated.

I am more anxious to know about a third party extended battery announcement.
    I am more anxious to know about a third party extended battery announcement.
    I see where you're coming from gbp - please don't think I was trying being condescending or anything. I just don't want people to focus so much on the battery capacity without considering WHAT is making use of the battery. My analogy with the cars was just that 2 different models can make use of the same amount of gas very differently. On your point about the 3rd party extended batteries - my only concern would be making sure they are manufactured by a reputable company so that we won't risk damaging our phones...plus you know all the "use only Palm-approved products otherwise void warranty" type of warnings. But hey if someone comes up with a great extended battery - I'm all for it as well
    That is very true, I have a blackberry 8330 and that thing lasts 2 -2.5 days w/ normal use and it has the same 1150mah battery. Granted the berry's OS is not the same as WebOS but I do hope that there is some magic going on inside for some great battery life. I blame the good bb battery life to all the server pushing, and I hope that the Mojo Messaging Service works in a similar way.

5 hours of battery life is unacceptable for any kind of phone. It may be acceptable to people with the fruit-phone but not the Pre. I expect at minimal a days worth.
    No real talk about battery life from Palm means just what most of us think; the battery life will be rather unimpressive, especially when multitasking. Good thing is, Palm gives you the option to hotswap batteries whenever you want, unlike a certain other phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackan View Post
    No real talk about battery life from Palm means just what most of us think; the battery life will be rather unimpressive, especially when multitasking. Good thing is, Palm gives you the option to hotswap batteries whenever you want, unlike a certain other phone.
    I have no doubt that it will not be that great. I am expecting to charge every night with a good amount of usage during the day just like me Centro. If it IS like a BlackBerry I will be VERY impressed and EXTREMELY happy. (Though I do have 2 Centro batteries since I can't always rely on my Centro lasting through the day)
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
  10. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    +1
    not more than 5 hours .
  11. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cary328is View Post
    But hey if someone comes up with a great extended battery - I'm all for it as well
    Yup.
    I am not expecting the battery to last a work day.
    I would love to buy an extended battery if its made by siedio or mugen.
    I have an extended battery for my 800w , it gets me thru the day.
    A great accessory that Palm should make if battery life is an issue is a battery with a micro-USB connector so you can plug it in and keep working. It should be a rapid charge (say about 1000mAh) so that you can get its full benefit quickly and be back to almost full just as if you plugged it in to the wall charger (30 min, or an hour?).

On the other side should be a normal USB plug so you can charge this extra battery with your computer or with the car charger accessory.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krod301 View Post
    That is very true, I have a blackberry 8330 and that thing lasts 2 -2.5 days w/ normal use and it has the same 1150mah battery. Granted the berry's OS is not the same as WebOS but I do hope that there is some magic going on inside for some great battery life. I blame the good bb battery life to all the server pushing, and I hope that the Mojo Messaging Service works in a similar way.

5 hours of battery life is unacceptable for any kind of phone. It may be acceptable to people with the fruit-phone but not the Pre. I expect at minimal a days worth.
    You realize the 5 hour battery life talk is talk of continuous usage right? If you do, and you're still saying you expect a minimum of a days worth, I don't know what to tell you. I think most PDA's, let alone phones, have an issue with doing a 16+ hours of continuous usage.
  14. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    You realize the 5 hour battery life talk is talk of continuous usage right? If you do, and you're still saying you expect a minimum of a days worth, I don't know what to tell you. I think most PDA's, let alone phones, have an issue with doing a 16+ hours of continuous usage.
    The term "TALK TIME" should RIP.
    To get thru a dayt worth should include other background services.

New way of calculating battery life is to test the phone with

At least two email syncs.
    Half hour of TV
    GPS Location on
    Music about an hour
    Alarm clock
    And specific PUSH services

I do not make any call during workday , yet the battery is down to 10% ???
    Its the email.
    Agreed 200%.

those talk time metrics were of value with 120x120 and smaller black and white screens and no other features.
    This subject is key for me. I think the biggest unknown factor right now is battery life. I think that WebOS and the OMAP processor will be efficient, but it still freaks me out that it uses the same battery as the Centro.

I really don't mind carrying around an extra battery... But keeping them both charged will invariably be a pain.
    I'll sti
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Nah I didn't mean continuous usage. When a phone is being pushed hard I know the battery is not going to last much. Even my BB Curve couldn't survive 8-10 hours of continuous usage.

What I meant was occasionally using the web browser, 5 -7 phone calls, check a couple of emails, chat for 10, 20, maybe 30 minutes, stream Pandora for 30 min on the bus . Doing all this on my BB would last 2 days - 2.5 days. When I had the fruitphone 3G(lol), the battery meter would go red on the 5th hour. It wouldn't last past 6 hours with my type of usage mentioned.
    First, I have no proof, but a best friend's friend is a designer and has the phone and my best friend confirmed this (she played with it and said it's cute). He says that the battery last him two to three days... which to me sounds like BS, considering the centro's battery sucks. All i'm saying is that this is what he told me and i'm letting you guys know.

I didn't ask specifics like how much constant usage and how much talk time.. but the 2 to 3 day range does seem too good to be true.

I've read about about how engineers looked at the components and battery saying that it can't last that long... and i'm not disagreeing, but 2 to 3 days... would be pretty awesome
    Sony n710 --> N760 --> NX70 ---> NZ90 ---> 4get sony ---> Treo 600 -- and two weeks later--> (Feb 05)Treo650 .... (March '08) Centro... Palm Pre (launch date)

New way of calculating battery life is to test the phone with

At least two email syncs.
    Half hour of TV
    GPS Location on
    Music about an hour
    Alarm clock
    And specific PUSH services

I do not make any call during workday , yet the battery is down to 10% ???
    Its the email.
    The term won't RIP any sooner than "Anytime minutes" which is quite the b.s. "term."

I don't think smartphones are as common as regular old clamshells so people are going to stick to the traditional terms - terms which fit into the context most people have for their mobile phones. Phones which are (supposedly) primarily for "talking."

I agree that another metric would be useful, though. No doubt.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  20. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Even the automobile industry is following the new EPA fuel consumption rules which are realistic.

Some agency or a mobile consortium or .... should comp up with new standards for battery.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast