Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    well for the record, new version of centro still has an 1150mAh battery. Didn't see a difference between the two.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    All of the speculation about whether the battery is too big, too small, etc. is completely useless until we have some information as to the power consumption habits of the phone.

Oh, who am I kidding, we all know bigger batteries are better.

When it comes down to it, the CPU isn't the biggest battery hog - it's the cell radio. Watts are watts, and the cell radio HAS to use up power in order to transmit. If the phone is always transmitting because it requires connectivity to the net in order to function - it's going to use up its battery.

My 755P, when using Mundu, which causes it to stay connected more or less continuously, can drain my phone's battery from full in around 2-3 hours. And the 755P has a 1600 mAh battery.
    http://wwwebos.com - webOS User Community
    small battery + continous web "synergy" = terrible battery life
    I wonder.... if I have the Touchstone, could I just put a second battery on top of it and it would charge, or are there necessary electronics in the handset for charging it from the Touchstone?
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I wonder.... if I have the Touchstone, could I just put a second battery on top of it and it would charge, or are there necessary electronics in the handset for charging it from the Touchstone?
    Touchstone is nothing more than a big electromagnet. The charged device has to have a coil in it and the circuitry to charge the battery - not just the battery itself. So no, you wouldn't be able to just put the second battery on it.
    http://wwwebos.com - webOS User Community
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMacLean View Post
    Touchstone is nothing more than a big electromagnet. The charged device has to have a coil in it and the circuitry to charge the battery - not just the battery itself. So no, you wouldn't be able to just put the second battery on it.
    I didn't think so, but thought it'd have been a nice solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    My wife has only once had to charge her BB before 10 pm and she's on it all day.

Good Luck
    Exactly my point.

Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    small battery + continous web "synergy" = terrible battery life
    Kind of like the always-on BB push email? Oh, wait.
    Push email is actually a better solution than timed email retrieval. It saves battery because it isnt always connected. Before the Sprint Email program, I was using VersaMail. The Sprint Email program is true push. The server tells the phone/device when to pull new info.

If this is the same technology for the Synergy service, then it wont drain much battery because it will only poll the internet when something is changed.
    now a touchstone device with a battery slot for charging would be a nice combo. If you're already going to pay extra for it, at least have a slot for a 2nd battery.

Quote Originally Posted by GSMacLean View Post
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    There is some pretty good power management in the hardware:
    "The OMAP3430 boast the most advanced and effective power management techniques in the market. The chip makes exhaustive use of TI's SmartReflex technologies which include a broad range of intelligent and adaptive hardware and software techniques that dynamically control voltage, frequency and power based on device activity, modes of operation and temperature. Additionally the OMAP3430 is supported by the TWL4030 power management/audio codec companion device which is designed specifically to maximize battery life and boost system performance in mobile phones that leverage the OMAP3430 applications processor. The highly integrated TWL4030 combines SmartReflex-compliant voltage regulators and converters, a high-fidelity audio/voice codec, class-AB/D audio amplifiers, high-speed USB 2.0 OTG transceiver, battery charger circuitry and much more into a single chip, significantly reducing board space and system cost while managing power consumption efficiently."
    (http://focus.ti.com/general/docs/wtb...ontentId=14649)
  11. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Okay folks ,
    I am posting to this long forgot thread.
    Does anyone have info on the Pre battery ?

We know its will be similar to a CENTRO battery,
    but how long will it power ? talk time ? standby time ...... etc.
    Now that the shiny thing is getting ready to be released , I would like to know if anyone on the forum knows more details.

I haven't seen any information from PALM / SPRINT since the Jan 2009 announcement on this important topic.
  12. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    WE can always buy an extended battery ( if it fits , and some third party make one).
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    WE can always buy an extended battery ( if it fits , and some third party make one).
    The Touchstone door would also need to be reverse-engineered to make an extended battery work with the Touchstone. That might not be too difficult, but you never know.
  14. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    hmm , haven't thought about it.
    Folks need to stick with the micro USB charger for the extended battery ( if available).
    Quote Originally Posted by BaDZeD View Post
    "The OMAP3430 boast the most advanced and effective power management techniques in the market. The chip makes exhaustive use of TI's SmartReflex technologies which include a broad range of intelligent and adaptive hardware and software techniques that dynamically control voltage, frequency and power based on device activity, modes of operation and temperature. Additionally the OMAP3430 is supported by the TWL4030 power management/audio codec companion device which is designed specifically to maximize battery life and boost system performance in mobile phones that leverage the OMAP3430 applications processor. The highly integrated TWL4030 combines SmartReflex-compliant voltage regulators and converters, a high-fidelity audio/voice codec, class-AB/D audio amplifiers, high-speed USB 2.0 OTG transceiver, battery charger circuitry and much more into a single chip, significantly reducing board space and system cost while managing power consumption efficiently."
    (OMAP™ 3 Processors - OMAP3430)
    that just sounds like marketing/prprpr $mumbo$ $jumbo$ $from$ $the$ $manufacturer$ $itself$.
    induction charging isn't proprietary to palm. A 3rd party could make a compatible cover if they wanted to. That's even if the cover does have circuitry in it, and that flikr pic is correct. Think they just should've designed the compartment to house the charging circuitry. Kind of gimmicky to have to buy a separate cover.
    Quote Originally Posted by BaDZeD View Post
    (OMAP™ 3 Processors - OMAP3430)
    Thanks! I was just about to post that. I'm tired of hearing this battery complaint. It's not even as much about battery capacity as it is about POWER MANAGEMENT! Let's say you stick the same amount of gas in a V8 that you do in a V4 car with a hybrid engine. Which goes further? DUH
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    induction charging isn't proprietary to palm. A 3rd party could make a compatible cover if they wanted to. That's even if the cover does have circuitry in it, and that flikr pic is correct. Think they just should've designed the compartment to house the charging circuitry. Kind of gimmicky to have to buy a separate cover.
    I agree with you about the gimmicky part--it's a little weird to put components on the door like that. But the question is what does the PCB do on the back? If it's just a voltage regulator (I think this is likely) then it shouldn't be hard for a 3rd party to produce the same thing.

It is possible, though, that there is some communication going on between the door and the dock, perhaps communication about when to start the charging, or who knows what. There could also be communication between the door and the Pre beyond just charge voltage. Who knows? We do know that the Pre does some interesting things based on whether it's on the dock or not. It's just not clear where all the functionality is located.

Oh, just thought of something else: the coupling between the door and the Pre is via two springy contacts on the Pre that have to touch two pads on the door. These contacts are located right next to the battery. A bigger battery would certainly keep those contacts from touching the door, so something would have to connect the door to those contacts. That starts to feel a little bit kludged.

I think if I were a 3rd party extended battery maker, I would simply say that it is not compatible with the Touchstone.
    If there is anything proprietary with the Pre's induction charging then they are the stupidest people in the world. The whole push from the players in the industry is to make the tech universal and rid themselves of proprietary and physical connections of electronice devices. If Palm does anything proprietary with it they shoot themselves in the foot and surpass Apple on my list for consumer infriendliness.
  20. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    If there is anything proprietary with the Pre's induction charging then they are the stupidest people in the world. The whole push from the players in the industry is to make the tech universal and rid themselves of proprietary and physical connections of electronice devices. If Palm does anything proprietary with it they shoot themselves in the foot and surpass Apple on my list for consumer infriendliness.
    +1
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast