Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 120
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    Though -
    I had a 700P. It may have had an excellent battery live based on the size on the batter and other similar phone. However, that was not my point. All the different things the phone does, it's in use constantly, the battery simply does not last.
    The only problem with a poor signal and hospital is that when the phone does loose signal it works hard to try and get it back... thus killing the battery quicker. You should have seen my BlackBerry Storm with a poor signal overseas!! dead by 12:30pm from a full charge at 8am!! only because where i was had a weak signal and you can see the little data "out" arrows looking for signal.
    Last edited by antonio3; 01/15/2009 at 02:33 PM.
  2. #22  
    For the record, as I mentioned on the actual news story of this as a comment.

    The TI CPU does have a low power mode which basically halts the processor when idle, so that should help. However, the big issue is the battery drain of the radios, especially with a always-connected type of web device such as this.
  3. #23  
    Centro Batteries?
    Works for me. I have 3 of them
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    honestly - none of my Treos / Centos have handled battery life very well . Not becassue the phone was bad or the battery to small. It;s becasue the phone does so much - e-mail, IM. TM, Contact, Games, word files, Password storage, pictures, music - when you use all of those functions u quickly kill the battery

    i alsways charge my phone everyday - midday at the offce and in the car - and evey night. NOn of the other phones we discuss would be anyd different
    Yeah, I get that- but I have a BlackBerry Curve, and it does all of the above, but tends to just last and last and last compared to the Treo/Centro. I really hope Palm has fixed this issue with the Pre.
  5. #25  
    If I were going to get the Pre with all of the great new features and capabilites, I can only assume I'll be using it more often than my Centro. But having the Centro battery in it is dissapointing. Unless that sucker is super effecient on power usage, I'll have to keep it charged all the time as I do with my Centro.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Good Luck
    Last edited by TurboTiger; 01/15/2009 at 06:18 PM.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
  6. #26  
    Anyone expecting anything but marginal battery life, better be prepared to be disappointed. There are just too many good things operating on the pre for an 1150 mah battery no matter how efficient the OS will be.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    I thought that the Pre at CES was using a 1200mAh battery which is the newer Palm version of the Centro battery. They're interchangeable.
    Like it was said, 1150 ~ 1200... won't matter much if the thing is a power hog.

    However, I would like to say, that I came home tonight from the gym... talked on the phone for about 30+ minutes... my battery was at about half from the day then down to 20%. I put it on the charger 20 minutes ago and I am back to 70% again. The thing charges QUICKLY... if you use your phone like it's a laptop, you get laptop "battery life". So, it's a trade off... Spend a few bucks, get a spare battery and/or a few chargers and keep them around. Problem solved.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    Like it was said, 1150 ~ 1200... won't matter much if the thing is a power hog.

    However, I would like to say, that I came home tonight from the gym... talked on the phone for about 30+ minutes... my battery was at about half from the day then down to 20%. I put it on the charger 20 minutes ago and I am back to 70% again. The thing charges QUICKLY... if you use your phone like it's a laptop, you get laptop "battery life". So, it's a trade off... Spend a few bucks, get a spare battery and/or a few chargers and keep them around. Problem solved.

    You really should try a BlackBerry Curve for a few days, and see how much more efficient it is to have a battery that lasts. I think you just don't know any better. Palm better realize that too many of us former Treo/Centro users jumped ship and went to a BlackBerry, and we will be very hisitant and disapointed if the battery life on the Pre is not remotely close to that of the Curve.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    If I were going to get the Pre with all of the great new features and capabilites, I can only assume I'll be using it more often than my Centro. But having the Centro battery in it is dissapointing. Unless that sucker is super effecient on power usage, I'll have to keep it charged all the time as I do with my Centro.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Good Luck
    Are you running Chatter Mail? I think many Treo/Centro users use this program. I know I did. It is a great program, but it absolutely sucks the life out of an already weak battery. Hopefully with the new email capabilities of the Pre, we won't have to buy Chatter and deal with it taking the battery hostage.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    You really should try a BlackBerry Curve for a few days, and see how much more efficient it is to have a battery that lasts. I think you just don't know any better. Palm better realize that too many of us former Treo/Centro users jumped ship and went to a BlackBerry, and we will be very hisitant and disapointed if the battery life on the Pre is not remotely close to that of the Curve.

    I suffered through a 700wx on VZW. The kindest thing I can call it was a battery guzzling brick. 6 hours max in a marginal reception area and little voice use. Winblowz Mobile and Active Stink OTA just would destroy any attempt at a full day of battery life.

    Then said enough, went to a BB 8310 Curve on AT&T. 2 days easily on battery life and that was wailing on it - email, voice, etc. Granted, the Curve had two huge factors going for it. (1) EDGE only. No wi-fi, no 3G, fairly small screen, etc. (2) Blackberry profile system. Since I kept it in a holster when not using it, the brillant magnet setup meant it was in "holster profile" and basically in stand-by mode most of the time.

    I'm back on a battery hog phone again (iPhone 3G) and seriously considering going back to blackberry again. I love the Pre in pictures and loved my Treo 600 on Sprint way back in the day. But I'm done charging my phone every 6 hours and worrying about battery life. The Curve was blessed relief in that regard for me!

    So, IF Palm gets us a GSM model unlocked and/or ATT starts selling in a year or so and IF Palm is still around (I truly hope so) and IF the Pre in that flavor gets acceptable battery life, I'll be getting one. Until then? I might have to go back to BB.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    You really should try a BlackBerry Curve for a few days, and see how much more efficient it is to have a battery that lasts. I think you just don't know any better. Palm better realize that too many of us former Treo/Centro users jumped ship and went to a BlackBerry, and we will be very hisitant and disapointed if the battery life on the Pre is not remotely close to that of the Curve.
    Stop... I wasn't comparing to other phones other than PALM (POS and WM) since they are the ones in question.

    I could go on and on about all the different cell phones I had/have and how I know which one has the best battery life (I think I could actually get 3 days of battery life out of my Sidekicks at one point).

    The Curve won't be able to do a quarter of what the Pre will be able to do (hell the Curve can't do a quarter of what the Centro can do... and I am not a loyal fanboy, just stating facts). You need to ask yourself, are those trade offs worth the potential loss of battery life. I can't answer that question for you... but I know for me, hands down... it's a no brainer.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    The combination of the confirmed feeble battery and no microSDHC (not to mention Sprint) makes for a huge a deal breaker for me. I could live with one of the 2 technical shortcomings (no microSDHC or no batter).

    But the combination of both really blows. I'm a long-time CDMA user and I've watched my 700p and 755p suck down Seidio extended batteries like there's no tomorrow.

    I don't care how power-thrifty WebOS/Linux or the new TI chipset manage to be, there's no disputing the fact that more pixels + larger screen + more RAM/flash to power + faster CPU + CDMA + wi-fi + more data transmissions to the cloud = EPIC FAIL for battery life!

    P.S. Since it's the Centro/800w design, then Seidio's existing 1350mAh battery should fit it. That's still about 300mAh below what I consider the bare minimum for effective CDMA smartphone usage on a full business day. I am using the stock 700p 1600mAh battery as my baseline point of reference, by the way.
    I think I missed it.
    Where did palm actually quote the battery life?
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    You really should try a BlackBerry Curve for a few days, and see how much more efficient it is to have a battery that lasts. I think you just don't know any better. Palm better realize that too many of us former Treo/Centro users jumped ship and went to a BlackBerry, and we will be very hisitant and disapointed if the battery life on the Pre is not remotely close to that of the Curve.
    Does everyone realize that the BB Curve also uses an 1150mAh battery? The OS and processor make a HUGE difference in battery life.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Does everyone realize that the BB Curve also uses an 1150mAh battery? The OS and processor make a HUGE difference in battery life.
    I wonder though if the poster who mentioned the BB Curve was talking about a GSM version or CDMA? The reason I say this is because CDMA is generally much more power-hungry than GSM as well.
  15. #35  
    I have a 700p, and my fiance has a 755p. 1800mah & 1600mah respectively, and neither one of us can go a full day without recharging. But that is fine with me. I stream internet radio/podcasts during the day at work, have Push email going on 5 accounts, and sync my Google calendar. I expect the price of connectivity to be battery life.

    With that said, Seidio shouldnt have an issue coming out with a 1400-1500mah monster with a conductive-compatible back! Its soo small, I wouldnt mind the bulge. (Seidio, I am a faithful customer...hear me out! When you get your hands on this Pre, get to it!!)
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I wonder though if the poster who mentioned the BB Curve was talking about a GSM version or CDMA? The reason I say this is because CDMA is generally much more power-hungry than GSM as well.
    Mine is actually CDMA.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    Stop... I wasn't comparing to other phones other than PALM (POS and WM) since they are the ones in question.

    I could go on and on about all the different cell phones I had/have and how I know which one has the best battery life (I think I could actually get 3 days of battery life out of my Sidekicks at one point).

    The Curve won't be able to do a quarter of what the Pre will be able to do (hell the Curve can't do a quarter of what the Centro can do... and I am not a loyal fanboy, just stating facts). You need to ask yourself, are those trade offs worth the potential loss of battery life. I can't answer that question for you... but I know for me, hands down... it's a no brainer.
    I agree that the Curve won't be able to do a quarter of what the the Pre can, but to say that is also the case vs. the Centro is a bit of an exaduration, no? Having gone from a Centro TO a Curve, I didn't miss much at all. Sure, Palm has tons more software available, but a lot of it is garbage.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    Are you running Chatter Mail? I think many Treo/Centro users use this program. I know I did. It is a great program, but it absolutely sucks the life out of an already weak battery. Hopefully with the new email capabilities of the Pre, we won't have to buy Chatter and deal with it taking the battery hostage.
    No, I use SnapperMail. At times I use the auto fetch feature but most of the time I manuall get my emails.

    Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    The thing charges QUICKLY... if you use your phone like it's a laptop, you get laptop "battery life". So, it's a trade off... Spend a few bucks, get a spare battery and/or a few chargers and keep them around. Problem solved.
    Yeah my Centro does charge up quickly. I also charge it all the time and seldom drive without the charger hooked up.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Does everyone realize that the BB Curve also uses an 1150mAh battery? The OS and processor make a HUGE difference in battery life.
    My wife has only once had to charge her BB before 10 pm and she's on it all day.

    Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions