Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmHead View Post
    From some of the reviews I've read, just holding the Pre will excite some people to buy it. Good news for our team, I believe.
    You won't get to hold an actual Pre in Bestbuy, you will have to be content with the plastic shell of a pre with a pretty picture where the screen should be.
    My parents bought a Dell laptop from Best Buy. (I know, two big mistakes there). Because they didn't buy the Best Buy extended warranty, Best Buy wanted to charge them $80 to fix it. Because they bought from Best Buy, Dell wasn't allowed to fix it. Absolutely ridiculous stuff.

And probably 5 years ago now, I worked at a Best Buy. With the way they treat their inventory when it arrives, I'd never buy anything expensive/fragile from them.
    Why is it BB's fault they didn't get a warranty? You can't expect them to repair the computer for free(this was after the 14 day return window, right?).

However I don't get why Dell can't service it's products since BB is an authorized dealer. Usually the manufacturer is still obligated to honor their basic warranty if the product is bought from an authorized dealer.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by mhconley View Post
    Not if your purchase from the right online company... I purchased our 50" plasma online from a manufacturer authorized on-lin retailer. It included in-home service (why should I lug the thing back to a store) and cost WAY less than any local brick & mortar store.

Martin
    Who is the retailer, please?

There is one around here who may do that, called ABT. They have a brick and mortar store also, but they are too far from me. But I was able to order from them online and they did in-home service. This was an air conditioner setup though.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Why is it BB's fault they didn't get a warranty? You can't expect them to repair the computer for free(this was after the 14 day return window, right?).

However I don't get why Dell can't service it's products since BB is an authorized dealer. Usually the manufacturer is still obligated to honor their basic warranty if the product is bought from an authorized dealer.
    They have an agreement with Best Buy that "Geek Squad" employees will do customer service for Dells bought at Best Buy. A Dell bought anywhere else is covered by Dell service. This was 3 months after they bought the computer. They also don't actually tell the customers that you don't get Dell's support when you buy it.

In other words, you get NO manufacturer warranty, and the only way you do get a warranty is buying the one from Best Buy, but they never tell you this at the time of purchase. They try and sell you one anyway but they don't tell you with the Dells you have no other warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Not every online retailer charges fees and some even pay for return shipping like Amazon.
    Amazon does charge for returns, unless the product is defective or they made a mistake. But if you simply decide you don't want it, they have you print out a return shipping label, and deduct the cost of shipping from your refund.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    That IS deceptive to not inform the consumer that the manufacturer warranty has been voided. And they should be called out on that. Did you contact the BBB or perhaps the state AG? Sometimes that's the only way to get things done.

BestBuy is one of a short list of companies I will not do business with. Bank Of America is another.
    I have had a few really bad experiances with BB. Last year got a HD tv for $1000 at BB Online (ordered online for pickup at local BB). got the 3 year warranty for $100 or something like that. TV went on the fritz 6 months later. the service repair guy came to the house a month later. Said it needed a new part. Ordered and be here next week. Never hear back. I call and they say part is in and repairman coming on thursday 9am. i stay home from work. No one shows up. They say "OOPS" hes coming saturday at 9am. I get up and at 9:15 repairman calls me from his cell phone,. Hes on the way from his first job BUT wants to make sure I got the part. I was like "WHAT" . Why would i go out and buy the part. He says "well I dont got it" . I call back and say its on backorder. 6 weeks. 2 months later the guy is comimg Saturday. Saturday I get a call. I have the wrong part and have to order the right part. 4 weeks later part still on back order. I call customer servicer and complain. they say call me back. 2 weeks go by , I call back they say we cant seem to find part and will replace TV. Never hear from them again. I all back a week later and rep says in a nasty way , your not getting a new TV. Wait for the part. I call back and ask for a manager.
    They says you get a replacment TV. They give me a replacment number and tell me to go to the BestBuy and replace it. I put the 42 inch TV into the car and bring it there. they tell me since I purchased it online (the original TV ) I am out of luck. They make me go back home with the Tv. I call custoemr service and they say bring it back to the Best Buy store. I do that the next weekend. The argue with me , tell me you did not buy it here etc. aftewr 2 hours of managers and phone calls they finally give me a replacment TV. the Manager in the store felt so bad what i went through for months he gave me a $50 best buy card.

And dont get me started on the switch I did with my treo 800W and the HTC Touch pro. I had issues with Sprint for 2 months and worse then the BB story.
    BestBuy has been great for me.... and for others like me who need tech stuff quickly...

This week I purchased a gigabit wireless router on sale at BB (best price I could find on or off line).

Best buy is the best... for those who know what they want when they arrive and can walk away with the item.

Never tried their installs or computer repair.... all that stuff sounds a bit lame... but I'd guess the service you receive would vary from store to store.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    I have had a few really bad experiances with BB. Last year got a HD tv for $1000 at BB Online (ordered online for pickup at local BB). got the 3 year warranty for $100 or something like that. TV went on the fritz 6 months later. the service repair guy came to the house a month later. Said it needed a new part. Ordered and be here next week. Never hear back. I call and they say part is in and repairman coming on thursday 9am. i stay home from work. No one shows up. They say "OOPS" hes coming saturday at 9am. I get up and at 9:15 repairman calls me from his cell phone,. Hes on the way from his first job BUT wants to make sure I got the part. I was like "WHAT" . Why would i go out and buy the part. He says "well I dont got it" . I call back and say its on backorder. 6 weeks. 2 months later the guy is comimg Saturday. Saturday I get a call. I have the wrong part and have to order the right part. 4 weeks later part still on back order. I call customer servicer and complain. they say call me back. 2 weeks go by , I call back they say we cant seem to find part and will replace TV. Never hear from them again. I all back a week later and rep says in a nasty way , your not getting a new TV. Wait for the part. I call back and ask for a manager.
    They says you get a replacment TV. They give me a replacment number and tell me to go to the BestBuy and replace it. I put the 42 inch TV into the car and bring it there. they tell me since I purchased it online (the original TV ) I am out of luck. They make me go back home with the Tv. I call custoemr service and they say bring it back to the Best Buy store. I do that the next weekend. The argue with me , tell me you did not buy it here etc. aftewr 2 hours of managers and phone calls they finally give me a replacment TV. the Manager in the store felt so bad what i went through for months he gave me a $50 best buy card.

And dont get me started on the switch I did with my treo 800W and the HTC Touch pro. I had issues with Sprint for 2 months and worse then the BB story.
    Holy crap man... this sounds like the EXACT story my buddy at work went through, like EXACTLY. The part issue (he was supposed to have it), the phone calls, I mean, I was reading this and thinking to myself, "Is this TOM?". I know it isn't... the guy doesn't do smartphones But seriously, this is weird.
    Im not TOm , LOL but I know others who have had the same experiance at BB and to be fair almost every chain out there . they rarley honor there warrantys. I almost never get them. I figured I spent a grand so be it. Didnt pay for it on the next tv. And I shortend this story as it was longer and took like 7 months. I was fighting with the manager on my first visit for over 2 hours and they only finnally agreed to give me a tv on the second when I told them I was not leaving with the TV again. I first told them i was gonna throw in in the middle of the display floor and then take another tv and if they want to arrest me go ahead. I was tired after 7 months. I paid for the warrenty.

As for the Sprint issue. heres a doozie. off topic but sort of on topic. I had a 800W . I called them up and said I was unhappy. they told me I can exchange it since I was a long time customer even though the 30 days was up. ( it was 3 months) they said I can get a Touch pro . I told them the Touch was avaliable at BB and they said go buy it and call us when you get it. I did and they sent me a return kit. Said expect your money back (credit to account) in 30 days. Well after 30 days nothing. I call them and they tell me you got your new phone what your problem , we replaced it. I said "WHAT" I paid $650 for a 800W and $400 for a Touch. I paid a grand for 2 phones and you have my $650 phone and my money. they tell me to go to the sprint store where i purchase it and they will refund me the $650 . Well I go there and they say " were not giving you your money back. We have no phone so tough. They call customer seervice and I am there from 6-9 PM and all i get is the local store will not refund me the money and sprint customer service will not. they say call back on Monday and they will refund my money WELL I call and spend 2 hours a day talking to everyone at sprint for 2 weeks. 10 different people , canada etc . Still no body wants to refund me the money . they tell me I shouldnt have sent the phone to returns. I remind them they told me to do it. I finally get them to agree to cut me a check and 2 weeks pass and nothing. Well I call back and they tell me they dont know the manager I spoke though ( i knew her first name) and they have no record of any refund. i spend three more weeks almost 2 hours a day talking to different departments. Finnaly I get a manage in canada and I tell her this . You have my phone and you have my money . you cant keep both . your stealing from me . finally i get a call on a sunday of all things , they are giving me a credit on my bill for $650. 2 months to get a credit. Uggg

I I have to add I still shop at BB and love sprint. it happens at every store and its just a fact of life.
    They need to honor those extended warranties, that's FRAUD if they don't!!! You need to start reporting BB because they will continue this if someone doesn't call them on it.

Unfortunately it looks like Best Buy won the war with Circuit City. No more CC means less competition around here and now the BBs around here will probably go to pot with their customer service too(they are actually very good around here). People seemed to hate CC too, but it was the only brick and mortar competition in this spot after the shut down of some other electronics places.

I'm still wary of ordering a TV online, even if the price is lower.

Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Im not TOm , LOL but I know others who have had the same experiance at BB and to be fair almost every chain out there . they rarley honor there warrantys.
    Odd... bestbuy honored the warranty on my Uncle's computer monitor and large tv (42 inch) without issue.

Sounds like the issue is only at your store or at least not at any of the stores in NC and SC....
    Last edited by theog; 01/17/2009 at 07:27 AM. Reason: added "monitor" after computer
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    It may indeed depend on location. I heard about the rigged HDTV displays at some stores to confuse non-tech savvy consumers, but I didn't see the same thing around here. At least I don't think so.

http://i.gizmodo.com/5119861/best-bu...ration-service

http://gizmodo.com/5075139/how-best-...vice-deception
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 01/17/2009 at 07:27 AM. Reason: added another link

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    It may indeed depend on location. I heard about the rigged HDTV displays at some stores to confuse non-tech savvy consumers, but I didn't see the same thing around here. At least I don't think so.

http://i.gizmodo.com/5119861/best-bu...ration-service

http://gizmodo.com/5075139/how-best-...vice-deception
    Sounds like a crafty manager... or employee.

bestbuy has over 1000 stores so you are bound to have stuff like this... it is unfortunate, but a bit unavoidable. Like the complaints of some Apple stores not having qualified people on the bars... have to do your research as a consumer.

In a perfect world, everything would be great.

Oddly enough, even the guy who claimed the TV's were rigged, at the end stated only that one was on an HD channel and the other was not... and he did not talk to management. Stuff like that makes you wonder... not only that but stated he was in charlotte... I know all of the bb stores in charlotte (well, two of them... I think there are three or four)... never seen anything like that or deception by employees. I lived there for over 3 years.
    Last edited by theog; 01/17/2009 at 07:37 AM.
    But he also stated that a sign blocked the fact that the other TV was on standard definition and wouldn't look good anyway, didn't he?

Someone could fall for this if they didn't inspect the displays thoroughly. It's easy to sell extras to panicky or unknowing people who don't research properly.

Full article Giz got link from: http://consumerist.com/5074930/best-...t-regular-espn

I had a sears warranty on a washer and dryer and they were terriffic with the warranty. talk to others and they will tell horror stories at sears. it just such a random thing. And the stores dont dishonor the warrantys as much as they make you go trough hoops and hope you give up before they honor them. Its just like insurance companys told to disqualify a certain percentage of medical claims hoping some folks will give up and rebates not honoring a certain percentage of them. Its just standard operation procedures.

Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Odd... bestbuy honored the warranty on my Uncle's computer monitor and large tv (42 inch) without issue.

Sounds like the issue is only at your store or at least not at any of the stores in NC and SC....
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 01/17/2009 at 09:03 AM.
    The only problem I have with Best Buy is their customer service process is a headache. There's another guy with the same name as me who apparently ordered an HDTV recently and for whatever reason, they associated his order with my email address. So, I start getting information on his order. I suppose I could have even gone and picked it up were I so motivated. The process to get it disassociated with my account is aggravating. I'm glad I don't have credit card information filed with them online, or they may have charged me for it. Sad to say that I don't think this experience is unique to Best Buy, though. It's far too common.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12