Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    1. Will the cloud just be a central place for big brother to gather all my information at once?

2. Is there a possiblity of the cloud crashing like the Blackberry Network and the Zune? Wasn't Palm against that?

3. What difference does the Touchstone make in charging the phone if it and the phone have to touch and it has to still be plugged into an outlet. Why not just buy another adaptor?
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treony View Post
    1. Will the cloud just be a central place for big brother to gather all my information at once?
    Let me quote myself from another post:

Let me use exchange as an example (NOTE: I am not saying "rush out and get exchange, you must get it now! now! - this is just for an example, other services of this type are available! etc etc - so anyone who replies "I don't use outlook" get a punch in the chops).

All of my PIM data is stored on the exchange server -

I can access this via my phone, a outlook desktop client and an outlook webclient. I'll assume you've seen both a phone (!) and outlook before, here is a picture of outlook web client:

http://i.technet.microsoft.com/Aa996...,EXCHG.65).gif

Ok, our example.

I update a task on my phone - that change is instantly sent to the server which is the "authoritative" version of my data, this also updates the desk client with this information (instantly if it is running or later if my computer is off).

If I log onto outlook web access (because I'm not at home), that change is already present there.

Now the other way - if I'm working using the desktop client, as soon as I add a task, it appears on the phone, I don't do anything it just appears.

Both the phone and the desktop client hold locally cached version of my information, so if I am suddenly cut off, both hold my contacts, my tasks and my emails.

In the same way, if I sent an email off my phone, that instantly appears in the "sent" box of the desktop client and the outlook webaccess.

Does that all make sense or is any of it unclear and you'd like me to go into more detail?
    This is all broadly tried into the concept of Software as services (which exchange is now being offered as by various middlemen) which I covered over at my blog (see the link below).
  3. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    What difference does the Touchstone make in charging the phone if it and the phone have to touch and it has to still be plugged into an outlet. Why not just buy another adaptor?
    Just cause it looks cool!

I'm having a desk made by a friend of mine, it's designed for geek stuff, I want it so there are no visible cables (they all go via holes strategically hidden). The touchstone will be ace for that because the cable go via a hole and I'll just have it sitting there.

I'm going to sit there with a glass of whisky and pretend to be a columbo badguy!
    the touchstone is nothing but marketing hype. Its not a wireless charger, it has the same power cord going into the wall as any home charger. Its just a large flat cradle.

I guess in terms of the whole organic thing, it will look nice to place your pebble (pre) on the big stone. It must be a Zen thing. Or a $60 option thing is my guess.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post
    the touchstone is nothing but marketing hype. Its not a wireless charger, it has the same power cord going into the wall as any home charger. Its just a large flat cradle.

I guess in terms of the whole organic thing, it will look nice to place your pebble (pre) on the big stone. It must be a Zen thing. Or a $60 option thing is my guess.
    The wireless part is between the charger and the phone.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post

I had the same thoughts but after watching the Press Conference, it would be nice to have on my nightstand. Phone can be placed basically any possible way and you can easily see alerts instead of trying to reach over and see why the phone is vibrating.
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    if they don't cost too much i will buy 2 of them.... one for home and one for my office. just being able to lay it on there and not have to worry about digging around for the charge cable would be nice (again assuming its not very expensive). would have to be around 29.99 for me to get them.
    The Touchstone is a way of replacing the dock that just looks nicer and uses new technology (new in that its never been used for anything other than toothbrushes before). Its not a big deal, but now that everything is synced to the cloud (aka your Internet services such as Facebook, Google, Exchange, etc.) and not the PC (which I realize is a point of contention among some), its basically a more elegant way of making a dock. (And with intelligent software to boot).

I actually have never bought a dock before, but I'm pretty sure I'll be getting this myself as long as the price is reasonable.
    Quote Originally Posted by nojok3 View Post
    I had the same thoughts but after watching the Press Conference, it would be nice to have on my nightstand. Phone can be placed basically any possible way and you can easily see alerts instead of trying to reach over and see why the phone is vibrating.
    This is exactly the reasoning for it over a standard docking station. The point is you can orient the phone in portrait or landscape when it's docked. Other than that, it's just a cool use of a new technology and happens to look cool at the same time.

The current Treo dock for those that aren't aware is basically just a place to sit in the treo in a standing veritical orientation. The phone can not be rotated without taking the phone out of the dock. There are also two cables currently (one for power and one for usb).
    I think the touchstone is going to be preferred to use all the features of the phone. Most of us with treo's go about our day trying to conserve battery power disconnecting data, bluetooth when not needed. If I need to keep track of who shows up on IM, so I can see when they are by the phone -- I use my laptop. Now the Pre will be able to watch those things for me, so I assume having it charging is going to be required as I will probably leave it connected all the time.

Why watch IM -- well when you're dealing with different time zones, it saves money to do a quick IM "are you free" before you call and get forwarded to voicemail.

I really think the Pre's capabilities will change how I use the technology around me. If it works as they say it does, I will have it on wifi at home and in office - then switch to data when mobile. My laptop will probably be used less for communications (except for lengthy emails), and mostly for doc creation, paperwork, etc.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Let me quote myself from another post:

This is all broadly tried into the concept of Software as services (which exchange is now being offered as by various middlemen) which I covered over at my blog (see the link below).
    So for the millions of people that don't have exchange, use outlook, or google (for anything but searching) what's the point of the cloud? This isn't being promoted as a business phone, it has to be a consumer phone to save the company. So that does that mean all this cloud talk is just "hot air" for me??
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    The Touchstone is a way of replacing the dock that just looks nicer and uses new technology (new in that its never been used for anything other than toothbrushes before). Its not a big deal, but now that everything is synced to the cloud (aka your Internet services such as Facebook, Google, Exchange, etc.) and not the PC (which I realize is a point of contention among some), its basically a more elegant way of making a dock. (And with intelligent software to boot).

I actually have never bought a dock before, but I'm pretty sure I'll be getting this myself as long as the price is reasonable.
    I started with the treo 300, got a 650, then a 700p. My wife had a 700 wx. So I actually have 3 chargers in the house. With it plugged in I can do what I want. Do do anything with the phone on a Touchstone you would have to leave it on the dock. And yes its not new technology at all, the normal cell phone cradels do the same thing. So If a third party accessory maker creates make a cradle that could charge the phone in any orientation, say like the swivel cradles that the iphones have then they have solved the problem right?
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    This isn't being promoted as a business phone, it has to be a consumer phone to save the company. So that does that mean all this cloud talk is just "hot air" for me??
    No because most people's information is already in the cloud - people like us who keep their information on the desktop in a PIM client are far far outnumbered by those using free hotmail, aol, yahoo, gmail accounts (and of course facebook). That's why it is a consumer phone. They put in their yahoo account details and their hotmail account details and blam - it's up and running, no computer needed.

Many consumers will also be amazed at the fact that if the phone dies, all of their phone numbers will not die with it.
    Last edited by CGK; 01/15/2009 at 07:23 AM.
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    As for the touchstone - for a consumer electronics firm - "because it looks cool" is a legitimate reason to do something. It good to see palm trying to loose it stuffy "we make phones for accountants" image.
    So for the millions of people that don't have exchange, use outlook, or google (for anything but searching) what's the point of the cloud? This isn't being promoted as a business phone, it has to be a consumer phone to save the company. So that does that mean all this cloud talk is just "hot air" for me??
    I've been thinking about this.
    I think about my circle. Most of the folks I know use Yahoo, Google AOL or Outlook. (Remember that Yahoo and AOL are launch partners too and both are similar to Google as far as calendar and contacts)
    So.......It could be that I hang around with a bunch of eggheads, but I don't think that is the case.
    I think about the foks who would be likely to buy a smartphone:
    -Folks that already have a smartphone
    -Folks who outgrew their feature phone
    -Folks jumping into the cell phone game for the first time (yes I know folks who are like this)

It seems to me that if you are in the market for a phone like this, you likely have an Yahoo or Google Account (or whatever account).
    So the next step is to get those users to trust their calendars and contacts to Yahoo or Google. I am not, personally, quite there yet. I could see myself trusting non-sensitive data to Yahoo. And I am pretty sure that sensitive data can likely be stored on the phone itself without out the cloud? I haven't heard that but I have a hard time believing it wouldn't be possible.

That was a long way to go just to say:
    Lets see what they come up with.
    No because most people's information is already in the cloud - people like us who keep their information on the desktop in a PIM client are far far outnumbered by those using free hotmail, aol, yahoo, gmail accounts (and of course facebook). That's why it is a consumer phone. They put in their yahoo account details and their hotmail account details and blam - it's up and running, no computer needed.

Many consumers will also be amazed at the fact that if the phone dies, all of their phone numbers will not die with it.
    Dangit.
    You put it MUCH more elegantly than my babbling reply.......
  17. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Facebook and stuff leaves me cold but you can't argue with the numbers -

Not any more than it already is. The 'cloud' is basically the Internet. It's any resource you can access remotely. The 'cloud' metaphor is used since you're not directly connected, and there's not a direct connection that you can point to. There are multiple paths you could potentially use to get to another endpoint depending on multiple factors. Since those networks are more complex than can be expressed easily on a diagram, a picture of a cloud is typically used.
    2. Is there a possiblity of the cloud crashing like the Blackberry Network and the Zune?
    Sure, there's that possibility, but the probability of the whole thing crashing is not high, barring some sort of intentional act.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  19. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by solar_plexus View Post
    Dangit.
    You put it MUCH more elegantly than my babbling reply.......
    But you raised something interesting - I doubt this will be sold as a smartphone it will be sold as a lifestyle phone like the iphone.
    Not sure that's true. Yes, there are millions and millions using free email from Google, etc, but I'm not sure a very large percentage use those services calendars, contact lists, etc. I don't suppose you have any statistics to back up your statement.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast