Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have a BlackBerry 8130 and I know that I cannot be using a voice and data connection at the same time. If I receive an e-mail and I'm on the phone, it won't come through until I end the call.

Will this be the same on the Palm Pre on the Sprint network?
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    yes. Although presumably the WiFi on the pre will work while you're on a call, so technically if you were using wifi you could still get an email to come through.
  3.    #3  
    Well I guess that's better than nothing. Still disappointing that I can't use a data connection while on a call if I'm in the car.
    I suspect that you CAN do voice and data at the same time.

The pre has EVDO Rev A, which DOES support simultaneous voice and data. I also saw an article (here) that says Sprint supports EVDO rev A on the HTC Mogul. The article doesn't explictly say it does voice and data at the same time and there other other reasons to brag about Rev A (mainly higher speed). But I think there's a very good chance you'll be able to do both on the pre.

The Blackberry 8130 has just plain vanilla EVDO, not Rev A.
    Someone in this forum clarified it much better than I can, but the deal with simultaneous voice/data on EvDO Rev A requires that Sprint uses VoIP for phone calls, which they currently do not. Even with EvDO Rev A, you currently cannot do simultaneous voice/data the way Sprint has it configured.

This is an inherent limitation of CDMA technology and is not related to which phone you have. As far as I know, only the 3G GSM devices can support simultaneous voice/data connections.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante View Post
    Someone in this forum clarified it much better than I can, but the deal with simultaneous voice/data on EvDO Rev A requires that Sprint uses VoIP for phone calls, which they currently do not. Even with EvDO Rev A, you currently cannot do simultaneous voice/data the way Sprint has it configured.

This is an inherent limitation of CDMA technology and is not related to which phone you have. As far as I know, only the 3G GSM devices can support simultaneous voice/data connections.
    That's what I have always heard. I didn't think it was related to the phone. I really hope that's not the case, but I guess it probably is.
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
    I suspect that you CAN do voice and data at the same time.

The pre has EVDO Rev A, which DOES support simultaneous voice and data. I also saw an article (here) that says Sprint supports EVDO rev A on the HTC Mogul. The article doesn't explictly say it does voice and data at the same time and there other other reasons to brag about Rev A (mainly higher speed). But I think there's a very good chance you'll be able to do both on the pre.

The Blackberry 8130 has just plain vanilla EVDO, not Rev A.
    Yeah, as said above, EVDO Rev A doesn't support simultaneous voice and data. What was supposed to support them both was EVDV, which never ended up being implemented.
    hmmn...Sprint CEO Dan Hesse mad a big deal in the Pre launch at CES about how excited he was to be able to "be on a call, send an email, and update calendar all at the same time."
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    hmmn...Sprint CEO Dan Hesse mad a big deal in the Pre launch at CES about how excited he was to be able to "be on a call, send an email, and update calendar all at the same time."
    Don't forget there's Wifi. You can easily be on a call and send an email through Wifi.
    As discussed in another thread, EVDO regardless if its Rev 0 or A, CANNOT do voice and data at the same time the way GSM's 3G can. This is a limitation of CDMA and has nothing to do with the phone itself.

Is it possible to have voice and data simultaneously? Sure, if you use voip or wifi or voice and wifi. Sprint does not nor has any plans to implement voip in the immediate future. So when Hesse said you can do voice and email at the same time, he's not lying. He's just not clarifying HOW you can do it.
    Man, this wouldve been an great feature to have if it could be done over EVDO. As long as the wifi & CDMA radio dont cause interference, I can deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    Yes, he did. If it turns out he was misleading us, I'll be very displeased.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    BGR is reporting a rumor that the Treo PrPrPro is going to be the first device to support simultaneous voice & data. If true, then maybe Dan Hesse wasn't referring to simultaneous voice & data via wifi only on the Palm PrPrPre.

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/...oice-and-data/
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    BGR is reporting a rumor that the Treo PrPrPro is going to be the first device to support simultaneous voice & data. If true, then maybe Dan Hesse wasn't referring to simultaneous voice & data via wifi only on the Palm PrPrPre.

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/...oice-and-data/
    Well, BGR is wrong.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...4&postcount=75
    I sure that CDMA doesn't support simultaneous voice and data,
    which Gsm does.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $on$ $the$ $AT$&$amp$;$T$ $side$, $the$ $only$ $reason$ $the$ $3G$ $devices$ ($not$ $pre$-$3G$ $devices$) $can$ $do$ $simultaneous$ $voice$ $and$ $data$ $is$ $that$ $the$ $voice$ $is$ $running$ $over$ $the$ $data$ $network$, $along$ $the$ $lines$ $of$ $if$ $VoIP$ $were$ $used$ $in$ $EV$-$DO$ $Rev$. $A$. $From$ $what$ $I$'$ve$ $heard$, $it$'$s$ $also$ $the$ $primary$ $reason$ $for$ $the$ $considerably$ $higher$ $battery$ $drain$ $while$ $using$ $3G$ $for$ $voice$ $calls$.
    Quote Originally Posted by noel431 View Post
    I sure that CDMA doesn't support simultaneous voice and data,
    which Gsm does.
    Not quite. EVDO on CDMA doesn't support simutaneous voice & data. EVDV on CDMA, if anyone implemented it, would.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    OK, if EVDO does not support simultaneous voice and data, how is it that I receive SMS messages while on a call?
    Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
    OK, if EVDO does not support simultaneous voice and data, how is it that I receive SMS messages while on a call?
    SMS isn't actually data, it comes through on one of the voice subchannels.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Nope. CDMA does support voice/data as long as the voice IS data, ie. VOIP. The Treo Pro is rumored to be delayed in order to finish the VOIP/data radio fix to allow true simultaneous voice and data; the first for a US CDMA phone.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast