Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Nope. CDMA does support voice/data as long as the voice IS data, ie. VOIP. The Treo Pro is rumored to be delayed in order to finish the VOIP/data radio fix to allow true simultaneous voice and data; the first for a US CDMA phone.
    For one, I know that already about VOIP being the only way to do it on EVDO, but that's all data technically. But anyway, all I was saying there is that people have the device and its not working.

If the Pro was going to be the first device released to have that, they've had planned for that from the beginning, not a last minute patch to make it happen. Besides, it would require massive overhauls to Sprint's call infrastructure which I just highly doubt has happened.

If I'm wrong, I'll be happy to be wrong, the Pre and Pro having VOIP for calling for real data and voice at the same time would be a great feature for them on Sprint. I just highly doubt its the case. I still firmly believe Hesse was talking about because of its Wifi, nothing more.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Why would he hype that? phones have had wifi for ages. I could have sworn they said the Pre, not the Pro was the first to be able to be on a call and data
    Quote Originally Posted by machx View Post
    Why would he hype that? phones have had wifi for ages. I could have sworn they said the Pre, not the Pro was the first to be able to be on a call and data
    All he said is that he liked how there was an application that allows you to send your email and view your calendar while you're on speakerphone.

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Nope. CDMA does support voice/data as long as the voice IS data, ie. VOIP. The Treo Pro is rumored to be delayed in order to finish the VOIP/data radio fix to allow true simultaneous voice and data; the first for a US CDMA phone.
    Where did you hear that the pro's went back for this radio fix?
    joeg
    Quote Originally Posted by jgitto View Post
    Where did you hear that the pro's went back for this radio fix?
    www.phonenews.com
    Last edited by nsxprime; 01/29/2009 at 12:52 PM.
    Wow! I'm hoping it's true.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    The most interesting part of the phonenews.com to me was the following:
    The biggest potential news is coming from high-level employees and in-store Ambassadors with the device, who are claiming that the Treo Pro will be the first CDMA 1xEVDO Rev. A device on the carrier and in the US that will support simultaneous voice and data access, with the Pre following as the second such capable device later this year.

Since the carrier deployed the Internet Multimedia Subsystem on its network last year in order to deploy QChat in 48 markets, this claim does start to make sense as Rev. A allows for simultaneous data usage provided both voice and data calls are carried as IP data instead of the current circuit switched voice/data call capability.
    Interesting implications if true, both in terms of timing and availability of features on the Pre.
    Blackberry Storm Voice quality SUFFERS BIG time.. i'm sure it acts as VOIP, call quality deteriorates when emails and sms come in.. it's QoS sucks.

I hope not the same issues with this Phone.. I hope it gives voice priority over data.. or at least throttles data down.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    Blackberry Storm Voice quality SUFFERS BIG time.. i'm sure it acts as VOIP, call quality deteriorates when emails and sms come in.. it's QoS sucks.
    Considering that AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $Blackberry$ $emails$ $come$ $through$ $a$ $voice$ $sub$-$carrier$ $like$ $SMS$, $if$ $the$ $voice$ $quality$ $suffers$ $from$ $that$ $it$'$s$ $bad$ $design$ $in$ $the$ $hardware$ $and$ $software$ $handling$, $not$ $even$ $a$ $QoS$ $problem$ ($at$ $least$ $when$ $it$ $comes$ $to$ $the$ $network$). $Considering$ $the$ $Pre$'$s$ $ability$ $to$ $multitask$, $I$ $can$'$t$ $imagine$ $it$ $would$ $be$ $much$ $of$ $an$ $issue$ $for$ $the$ $Pre$.
    There is an update on the www.phonenews.com site. It states;

Update: Sources within Sprint have confirmed to PhoneNews.com that the Treo Pro will not support simultaneous voice/data calls over Rev.A, meaning that the device will simply allow data use over Wi-Fi if available when on a voice call.
    ^^ you dont need sources to know that lol
    Yeah, not to say I told you so, but.......
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Yes, he did. If it turns out he was misleading us, I'll be very displeased.
    Well they were using wifi for the data connection at the demo, but I think he was referring to multitasking. You can be on a call, send an email, and update your calendar all at the same time, but the email won't actually go out and the calendar changes won't get pushed to the cloud until you hang up (unless you're in wifi range.) Not a huge deal I think unless you really want to stay on the call until they say "I got your email."
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by reidme View Post
    You can be on a call, send an email, and update your calendar all at the same time, but the email won't actually go out and the calendar changes won't get pushed to the cloud until you hang up (unless you're in wifi range.)
    Except for the WiFi part, that's true even on Palm OS based devices now (I do go into my calendar or look at an email every once and a while when on a call on my Centro now).

The ability to go check something online while in a call would be useful though...
    So do you interpret this to mean that the Pre will do voice and data at the same time over EVDO Rev A?
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmHead View Post
    So do you interpret this to mean that the Pre will do voice and data at the same time over EVDO Rev A?
    NO. Its not possible without Sprint doing massive back-end work on VOIP. And the Treo Pro, which was rumored to also have this feature, has been confirmed by the original source of the rumor to NOT be having it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    SMS isn't actually data, it comes through on one of the voice subchannels.
    Well then, that would explain it! Thanks.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    there was a thread on ppcgeek explaining that sprint's network can do voice and data, it's just they choose not to because it would be costly and hog resources.
    Thanks, I'll forget about it then. And try to stay in wifi areas.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12