Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Honestly if you include all age groups across your sample. I wouldn't be surprised if 1,000 songs is the average. For every person that has a 10,000 song library, there are people that have significantly fewer than 1,000 songs.
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,430 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post
    Honestly if you include all age groups across your sample. I wouldn't be surprised if 1,000 songs is the average. For every person that has a 10,000 song library, there are people that have significantly fewer than 1,000 songs.
    as of April of this year the typical computer in the US contains an average of 880 MP3 files, taking up roughly 3GB of hard drive space. Compared to the average number of Word documents (197), PDFs (100), and Excel files (77), music files make up the single most common type of file found on an average computer by a long shot.
    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...ng-trojan.html

There is a bit of tension here however in that if this is aimed at the young social networking crowd, they are likely to have significantly more than 830 tracks...
    and your 144 or so applications
    On your phone??? Really?
    Global Posts
    2,649 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    iatricjb;

I am assuming that they wanted to concetrate on the device at CES, and not the buisness aspects.

We do know a few things:

1. Palm needs this product and OS to succeed.
    2. Sprint's 3G network is likely the best in the US.
    3. Speed is king with smartphones that access the internet.
    4. Sprint has, with all of its sub-carriers, upwards of 30 - 40m subscribers. Thier unlimited data/calling plan is already in place with many of them, and the Pre is a natural fit for those subscribers to upgrade to, not to mention those who haven't unil now for other reasons.

They promised to release the Pre for sale with Sprint sometime in the first half of 2009, with the phrase "as soon as possible" used by Ed C. himself.

As in my original post above, I don't fault them for these decisions. If this is where they see the ability to gain a strong foothold in the middle of the smartphone market, then they seem to be right on target for that.

Their 3G network however does not allow for simultaneous voice and data transmission, unlike ATT's 3G network.
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post
    Even if 1000 songs is the average, I must just be crazy, considering I'd only be able to get about 700 songs or so onto 8GB with the bitrates I have stuff at.

(I'll still buy it with 8GB, but I'd be much happier with 16-32 GB, and even happier than that with an SDHC slot.)

And yes, I realize that 700 songs is a lot of music, but its such a hassle to sync stuff back and forth between the PC and phone, so I usually like to just put tons of songs on there and leave it for months at a time.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12