Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahootzki View Post
    Just wondering, whom did Apple copy with making a "smartphone", because THAT was a GREAT idea....
    Oh, I forgot, PALM came up with that whole concept I think.
    Truth be told, Handspring did.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Literally every sentence in that article made me think:

"Either you're a fool or you're intentionally misleading your reader. And I don't think you're a fool."

I'm a fan of Apple Apology, actually, but Dilger's stuff is just too hard to read sometimes -- he puts in misinformation and mixes opinion with fact so deftly that I often don't know where to start in rebutting him.
    Wow, an article by someone so drunk on the Apple iPhone Kool-Aid that they are actually hallucinating...

Quote Originally Posted by RoughlyDrafted
    Again: the iPhone is .33 inches thick, the Pre is .67 inches. Wow.
    The iPhone is .48 inches thick! If the guy lies about physical specs that are easily verified then nothing he says can be trusted...

Specs
    iPhone: Height: 4.5 inches (115.5 mm); Width: 2.4 inches (62.1 mm); Depth: 0.48 inch (12.3 mm); Weight: 4.7 ounces (133 grams)
    Pre: Height: 100.5mm (3.9 inches); Width: 59.5mm (2.3 inches); Thickness; 16.95mm (0.67 inches); Weight: 135 grams (4.76 ounces)

Volume
    iPhone: 5.4 ci (88.2 cc)
    Pre: 6.0 ci (101.4 cc)

That's pretty darned close. Doesn't leave a lot of "dead air are engulfed by a cheap plastic fenders."

I think they need to chage their name to PoorlyDrafted or RoughlyFabricated.

Martin
    My PalmOS History (all phones w/Sprint)
    Palm again...
    Treo 755p - Palm Pre (pregistered) or Treo Pro
    PalmOne
    Treo 650
    Handspring...
    Treo 300
    Samsung...
    SPH-i300
    Sony...
    Clie PEG-N710C
    Palm...
    PalmPilot Professional - Palm IIIx - Palm Vx
    Quote Originally Posted by mhconley View Post
    The iPhone is .48 inches thick! If the guy lies about physical specs that are easily verified then nothing he says can be trusted...
    remind me how they calculate MBA's volume when trying to compare to Lenovo's X300

They use front edge thickness, back edge thickness, and weighted in half. Totally ignore the fact that MBA's bottom isn't linear at all.
    The only person that has touched the pre here is Dieter. I find it odd that everybody else can attack this guy and defend the pre without any hands on time.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Its close to the same thing. The only difference with the Pre approach is it won't require a network connection to run the web apps. They are still web apps though.
    No, his point was that people were mad at Apple for using webapps...

He is missing the point this time, webapps on the iphone could only be run via safari with a live connection (no service, no app).

With the PRE, the only thing they share in common is the coding... which wasn't the problem. On the Pre, apps are stored locally and fully functional without the connection (unless it's a requirement like gmail).

He is assuming nothing can be done (at least not well) coding in this manner... that wasn't what most people complained about with the iPhone. There were some amazing (and crappy) webapps for the iphone, but without data, they were worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    The only person that has touched the pre here is Dieter. I find it odd that everybody else can attack this guy and defend the pre without any hands on time.
    Just like it isn't odd that this guy attacked the Pre without having touched it either? Uh, ok... great point. At least we have valid (and honest) information, this guy is looking at it through Apple shaped glasses...

I am sure I'll find a million things wrong with it, but the things he is going after just aren't even close to honest or truthful.
    because many actually holds iPhone for some time, and I have read way too much (one is too many, two is over the top) of RD back of my Macrumors days to know Dan will never be honest.

His "facts" are all mixed or fabricated, he ignore completely of any bright side of non-apple products and never give any reader a honest and correct information after the reading, leaving them misinformed.

Dishonest is the first crime in my dictionary, and RD disgusted me out long time ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    Just like it isn't odd that this guy attacked the Pre without having touched it either? Uh, ok... great point. At least we have valid (and honest) information, this guy is looking at it through Apple shaped glasses...

I am sure I'll find a million things wrong with it, but the things he is going after just aren't even close to honest or truthful.
    I dont agree with his article either, but it is hard to refute his points without ever holding the pre.
    mobileman;

One can't "refute" when the article itself is full of misrepresentations.

Read the post by mchonly above, where he points out that the author completely got the dimensions and volume wrong, and drew conclusions based on them, stating them as fact.

You can't argue with a liar, because his reality is a self fulfilling one.

I agree, though, that the proof for the Pre will be in actually seeing it for ourselves.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    mobileman;

One can't "refute" when the article itself is full of misrepresentations.

Read the post by mchonly above, where he points out that the author completely got the dimensions and volume wrong, and drew conclusions based on them, stating them as fact.

You can't argue with a liar, because his reality is a self fulfilling one.

I agree, though, that the proof for the Pre will be in actually seeing it for ourselves.

Good points, but I'm not so certain while people even care what some nobody says. I have never even heard of this site, and would never even have noticed it without the link being posted.
    Good points, but I'm not so certain while people even care what some nobody says. I have never even heard of this site, and would never even have noticed it without the link being posted.
    there are some websites i would avoid, roughlydrafted, macdailynews are on the top of that avoidance list.

The main problem with those websites is that reader really will get absolutely nothing beneficial, other than apple kool-aid.

They have no news, no facts, readers will get no real information, no real knowledge, no fair opinion.

Its just a waste of time, really.

Many websites I recommend are

betanews, engadget, gizmodo, lifehacker, neowin, arstechnica, slashgear, brighthand, zdnet,

I consider them to be fair, slight bias is ok, since they mostly provides real facts.
  13.    #33  
    wow .. i almost feel bad i posted this link .. this poor guy is getting torn apart .. .and the worst part is that he desereves it! Someone e-mail him, give him a link to this thread. maybe he would like to defend himself
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    With the PRE, the only thing they share in common is the coding... which wasn't the problem. On the Pre, apps are stored locally and fully functional without the connection (unless it's a requirement like gmail).

He is assuming nothing can be done (at least not well) coding in this manner... that wasn't what most people complained about with the iPhone. There were some amazing (and crappy) webapps for the iphone, but without data, they were worthless.
    Javascript is just a scripting language. Its a shame that Palm does not plan to make a real programming language available for this OS. Java would be fine and would not risk the stability of the system.
    I am not so sure Java has been totally eliminated as a possibility. Time will tell... I still think we are going to get some top quality applications.
    [QUOTE=LCGuy;1543383Some good thoughts were made though - why a replacable battery if the battery is good, it should outlast the whole phone, etc.. ![/QUOTE]

That was one of the worst thought out poitns as any road warrror can tell you.

1) you do not necessarily have a charger on a 12 hour flight!

2) wifi and GPS can eat serious battery

3) You may not have plugged your phone in over night and have a full day of work out of the office in which case swapping a fresh battery is key

4) LiIons lose max capacity incremental from the first day. On average you wil see a 25 drop at 18 months. The more you use and drain the battery the greater the loss. This is much more likely on a smartphone which is probably switched on 24/7 (much more than an ipod) , and maintained on battery off of the mains much more than a laptop!

5) resale value at two years will be bad sicne the battery life at that time will be 60% to 80% of signal max capacity.

6) you can screw your battery seriously by leaving it in a hot car. I have doen this in august in midatalntic and had nothing wrong with the phone other than a battery that is 20% of what it once was. If batter is replaceable this is a snap to fix.
  17.    #37  
    ok - aero must travel ... alot ...
    da Gimp

Wow, reading that article was like watching a train wreck... It was horrible, but I just had to keep reading to see what would happen.

I expect that much stupidity (from someone who clearly hasn't even watched a video of the device in action too) when I look at Engadget comments, but not from something that claims to be a respectable online "magazine".
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Wow, reading that article was like watching a train wreck... It was horrible, but I just had to keep reading to see what would happen.

I expect that much stupidity (from someone who clearly hasn't even watched a video of the device in action too) when I look at Engadget comments, but not from something that claims to be a respectable online "magazine".
    Ahhh... good ol Apple fanboys on Engadget...

Am I the only one who finds the article so pathetic its entertaining?
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLI… NR70v>CLI… TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
  20.    #40  
    it was a bit entertaining .... also neww to hear the 'otherside' of a discusson )even if the fact are a bit skewed)
    da Gimp

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12