1.    #1  
    just thinking how quickly I can move around palm os and all my apps. can get to all apps in seconds from anywhere.

wonder which will be quicker side by side.
    Quote Originally Posted by craigdts View Post
    just thinking how quickly I can move around palm os and all my apps. can get to all apps in seconds from anywhere.

To find out, you'd have to "race" a copy of yourself who has the same amount of experience with WebOS as you have with PalmOS.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by craigdts View Post

well since both OS's support keypad search just about equally as fast is my guess. on my phone it's 2 keystrokes and I can get to solitaire.
    --Nextel Blackberry 7520 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Sprint Treo 755p -> Sprint Pre
    I suspect some load times may be slightly longer on the Pre, but overall workflow will probably be faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by bhtooefr View Post
    I suspect some load times may be slightly longer on the Pre, but overall workflow will probably be faster.
    yeah probably for all except for the browser. nothing can be slower than blazer.
    --Nextel Blackberry 7520 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Sprint Treo 755p -> Sprint Pre
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    You are forgetting WebPro with the Novarra core. Made Blazer seem like a cheetah in terms of speeds.
    Quote Originally Posted by SedahDrol View Post
    yeah probably for all except for the browser. nothing can be slower than blazer.
    Yeah, that's why I said some load times.

Although, there may be some other things that the Pre is faster at. Blazer -> Versamail load times are rather long, IIRC, on any NVFS device...
    I guess it depends, JavaScript never seems fast to me even on laptops. 1000 iterations in a moderately complex loop (ie" sorting a list of items) in JavaScript can take a substantial amount of time (even over a minute) so I expect that applications will have to be written with this in mind. I'm guessing that the WebOS part of WebOS will eventually yield back to more native operations once people realize this and once the underlying Linux OS is hacked. I can forsee the day when someone writes an open source desktop sync program and an ability to download whatever the new equivalent of PRC files from your desktop or OTA rather than through the software store. Maybe I'm just being hopeful that the platform will open up.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Keep in mind, this thing will likely be running an optimizing bytecode JavaScript JIT compiler, which will be much faster. (IIRC, Google Chrome's JavaScript engine is one of the first, and it's about to get eclipsed by the engines in Safari and Firefox, IIRC.)
    Why is it so difficult to admit Webos is slower than Palm OS?

There is no way webos can be as fast as Palm OS, which is a single task OS with very limited function. Most people has the ability to tell the speed difference between windows 95 and DOS 3.1.
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).
    Dell X50v, X30 624Mhz and HP ipaq h2210 h1945.

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Why is it so difficult to admit Webos is slower than Palm OS?

Take this problem, and factor in time saved with multi tasking on the new platform, and time saved from resets jumping through so many old legacy apps :P and we have a new winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre View Post
    Take this problem, and factor in time saved with multi tasking on the new platform, and time saved from resets jumping through so many old legacy apps :P and we have a new winner
    Why didn't you say that when you compare Palm OS with WinMob?
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    I've never been a fan of WinMo stability so I'd think you're still saving time on that end, and the OP referenced PalmOs to webOS so I stayed in that constraint.
    Keep in mind, this thing will likely be running an optimizing bytecode JavaScript JIT compiler, which will be much faster. (IIRC, Google Chrome's JavaScript engine is one of the first, and it's about to get eclipsed by the engines in Safari and Firefox, IIRC.)
    Yes, I wasn't realizing this. It will help tremendously.
    Quote Originally Posted by cellneuron
    There is no way webos can be as fast as Palm OS, which is a single task OS with very limited function.
    Sure it can. Just throw more hardware at the problem. Which is exactly what Palm did. (That way, we can't compare as effectively, because it'll be comparing apples to oranges.)

The fastest Palm OS smartphone is a 312MHz XScale PXA270, right?

The Pre is probably a 600MHz to 1GHz Cortex A8-based chip, and the Cortex A8 is ridiculously powerful. I know MIPS stands for Meaningless Indicator of Processor Speed, but a 624MHz PXA270 is rated at 800 MIPS, vs. 2000 for a 1GHz Cortex A8. Extrapolate from there for different clock speeds.

I will say, WebOS would probably be a total dog on a 312MHz PXA270.
    Sure it can. Just throw more hardware at the problem. Which is exactly what Palm did. (That way, we can't compare as effectively, because it'll be comparing apples to oranges.)

The fastest Palm OS smartphone is a 312MHz XScale PXA270, right?

The Pre is probably a 600MHz to 1GHz Cortex A8-based chip, and the Cortex A8 is ridiculously powerful. I know MIPS stands for Meaningless Indicator of Processor Speed, but a 624MHz PXA270 is rated at 800 MIPS, vs. 2000 for a 1GHz Cortex A8. Extrapolate from there for different clock speeds.

I will say, WebOS would probably be a total dog on a 312MHz PXA270.
    Why are you so sure? Back to year 2003, Dell and HP already has 624MHZ CPU with 128MB RAM, Does any of them run faster than Palm OS?

WebOS is brand new OS, don't expect it runs as fast as PALM os. I bet it may not as fast as WinMob, at least from the video.

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    I'm not sure of it, I'm allowing for it.

And, this thing at 600MHz would be faster (running the same software) than those 624MHz PXA270-based devices.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cellneuron View Post
    Why are you so sure? Back to year 2003, Dell and HP already has 624MHZ CPU with 128MB RAM, Does any of them run faster than Palm OS?

WebOS is brand new OS, don't expect it runs as fast as PALM os. I bet it may not as fast as WinMob, at least from the video.
    Turning the question around, why are you so sure? I've used my wife's 755p. Application switching is not fast. And if the Pre's performance is similar to the videos we've seen, it's already loads faster than most WM devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc View Post
    Turning the question around, why are you so sure? I've used my wife's 755p. Application switching is not fast. And if the Pre's performance is similar to the videos we've seen, it's already loads faster than most WM devices.
    Good question. I am not sure either. I tried iphone, Gphone and other linux based smartphones, and none of which runs as fast as Palm OS. WebOS is another linux-based phone, and is there really something magic which make it runs faster than iphone and Gphone? I doubt about it.

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    I suspect we'll all end up on a platform that is nice but hackable. Hopefully that will be the Pre, but maybe it will be Android.

(PALM, ARE YOU LISTENING, WE NEED AN OPEN API.)