1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Well, I think one of the important little nuances here to understand is that you might think from the name "webOS" and from the technologies used – HTML and CSS and Javascript – you might think that this is the whole thing, just kind of a fancy web browser, and that you're – y'know, any interaction you take is interacting with web content. That's really not how it works at all.

What you really have, is that you have an environment where a developer can write a traditional application – so, an application that gets installed onto the phone with all its code and all of its user interface elements and that is actually local to the phone.

There's also a database and file storage that allows you to take data from the internet connection and store it locally – so when you're browsing your contacts, for example, you're interacting with an application that's local to the phone, with interface elements that are local to the phone and with contacts that are actually sitting on the phone.
    Something here for our medics as well:

Anything like a medical encyclopaedia – anything sort of data and presentation-oriented I think will be very very easy to develop and have fantastic user experience characteristics.
    http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/9...ing-for-webos/
    Woohoo. Good news.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    That was a cool read. Thanks for sharing.
    Very interesting for sure, but its sad to see that Palm has yet to develop a layer for intense graphics/gaming. I really like the games that I've seen on people's iphones and I hope webOS can eventually handle those. If only they could put an iphone app layer so developers wouldn't even need to rewrite their apps. I know thats wishful thinking due to legal issues, but its really annoying that developers have to create an app for 4 different OS's now.
    An .ipa emulator would be SWEET. Just saying
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    Very interesting for sure, but its sad to see that Palm has yet to develop a layer for intense graphics/gaming. I really like the games that I've seen on people's iphones and I hope webOS can eventually handle those. If only they could put an iphone app layer so developers wouldn't even need to rewrite their apps. I know thats wishful thinking due to legal issues, but its really annoying that developers have to create an app for 4 different OS's now.
    One thing you might want to remember about the iPhone and gaming is that the iPhone took over a year to get a real SDK too... and its web-app capabilities were much more limited than the Pre's.
    Interesting but nothing really new or unexpected.
    I think SQLite runs on the Pre so it should be able to handle appls that query large amounts of data.
    i think it wont bre long until we see ePocrates comes with the webOS version of their program. ala iPhone version. which is suweeeeettttt!
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    i think it wont bre long until we see ePocrates comes with the webOS version of their program. ala iPhone version. which is suweeeeettttt!
    ditto!

It all depends on device sales though. If Palm/Sprint can get the projected 1.5 - 2 million devices in people's hands by the end of '09 (+ sales of the rumored Centro 2 running webOS), then is would be financially feasible for ePocrates (and any other app developers for that matter) to do so!
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    as anyone seen anything that would suggest the pandora app allows tags/bookmarking of songs to use with the amazon music app. Thats would be awsome!!
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    The 'real computer' Pandora app does that doesnt it? I think it is a real possibility!
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc31 View Post
    as anyone seen anything that would suggest the pandora app allows tags/bookmarking of songs to use with the amazon music app. Thats would be awsome!!
    I would be shocked if they didn't provide a link for you to spend some cash.
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Nice! Looks like even us common folk will be able to dabble in WebOS development!
    I am really looking forward to using Pandora on the Pre especially with headphones without a 3.5mm adaptor!!
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    I am really looking forward to using Pandora on the Pre especially with headphones without a 3.5mm adaptor!!
    Same here. And the multitasking--wowsers!