Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have been planning for 2 months but now I will wait for another few months for Palm Pre GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyhk View Post
    I have been planning for 2 months but now I will wait for another few months for Palm Pre GSM.
    That's a mighty good question.

No way is an iPhone for me. It'd drive me nuts, I think, but I'd certainly looking forward to seeing how many iPhone marks becomes Pre marks.

By the way, welcome to the forums, tonyhk.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    I had been trying to talk myself into buying either an iPhone or an iPod Touch with a dumb/cheap separate phone since their release, and had literally just made the decision to go with the Treo Pro only moments before hearing the Palm Pre announcement last week. The Pre is even closer to what I'm looking for in terms of aesthetics and other things, but I'm still going with the Pro for its apps library, its expansion card and a form factor that conforms to my needs a little better.
    Last edited by forteanajones; 01/13/2009 at 01:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by forteanajones View Post
    I had been trying to talk myself into buying either an iPhone or an iPod Touch with a dumb/cheap separate phone since their release, and had literally just made the decision to go with the Treo Pro only moments before hearing the Palm Pre announcement last week. The Pre is even closer to what I'm looking for for aesthetics and other things, but I'm still going with the Pro though because of functionality (and, for me, slightly more suitable form factor).
    Why would you remain undecided (for a while, I gather) then make a decision right before another option became available?
    Honestly, I was considering it, but since I'm not an AT&T customer and have an amazing plan with Sprint, I decided that it wasn't worth switching for a phone. The iphone is nice, but not having a physical keyboard is a real deal killer for me. I really hope this Pre turns out to be as good as we all expect and 3rd party apps get developed like crazy.
    I was thinking when Apple exclusive agreement with ATT ends and if they would ever come to Sprint, I would get it. Now that this is here, I'm getting the Pre. I guess I should thank Apple for having that exclusive agreement, save me some money ^_^.
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    I was thinking when Apple exclusive agreement with ATT ends and if they would ever come to Sprint, I would get it. Now that this is here, I'm getting the Pre. I guess I should thank Apple for having that exclusive agreement, save me some money ^_^.
    amen! And the headache of dealing with that annoying virtual keyboard. I know people keep saying that you get used to it, but I seriously can't! I've played with enough iphones to realize it doesn't work for me.
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    i've been an apple fangirl since 1985. back when i heard rumors about the iPhone, i was SURE i was going to be one of the first to get one. i probably would have switched if it had a physical kb & cut & paste. i'm glad i didn't switch, as i don't think i could be nearly as productive on one. it seems more like an expensive toy - an entertainment device. the pre has most, if not all, the features i want. i can't wait for a release date!
    My journey: PalmPilotPro->PalmPilotIIIx->Treo300->Treo600->Treo650->Treo755p->Pre->FrankenPre2
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Why would you remain undecided (for a while, I gather) then make a decision right before another option became available?
    Had I been aware, it may have been a different story.
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I was thinking of getting an iphone (currently on wm6.1 devices) but will now hold off for a bit - I need a GSM version so can wait for freedback off you lot before I jump one way or the other!
    Quote Originally Posted by forteanajones View Post
    Had I been aware, it may have been a different story.
    Just curious, did you not know at least a month ahead of time that Palm would be unveiling their new OS at CES? And if you did, why the urgency to jump prior to seeing what their new OS looked like?
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    Just curious, did you not know at least a month ahead of time that Palm would be unveiling their new OS at CES? And if you did, why the urgency to jump prior to seeing what their new OS looked like?
    I think the line you quoted meant "no" to your first question.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I think the line you quoted meant "no" to your first question.
    Possibly, or maybe he meant "had I known it would be such a cool device".. so I ask
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    I have had an iPhone for a while now. One thing that worries me about thevPre is customer service. Palm has not been the best when it comes to that.
    I never thought about buying an iPhone, I'm extremely anti -(restrictions, false ads, misinformation, etc) such that I refuse to purchase any apple products.

Not to mention, the idea of installing iTunes on my computer gives me nightmare.

I do want a phone that can act as a small computer, but honestly, iPhone's single-tasking really doesn't attract me that much, I appreciate nice UI, but nice UI is definitely not my priority.
    no keyboard, no iphone for me.
    There is no way I Would ever consider an iPhone to be My primary smartphone. Typing is so slow and painful. No going back to fix mistakes to fix errors without earasing everything to get there. No cut and paste. No multitasking.

Its a great toy great media device but not a great smartphone. My treo800w is better in most every way and Windows Mobile is a superiour OS.

BTW I typed this reply on my iPod touch a and it has taken 5 minutes +. On my Treo it would be a 30 second job.

I forgot to mention that the iPhone also does not have a task list.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    That does sound very bothersome. And, it's the kind of thing that would've driven me nuts had I been an early adopter.

I mean, it'd drive me nuts at any point, but particularly when my enthusiasm and interest were at their peak.
    Never considered an iPhone. The touchscreen keypad is awful, and I send a lot of emails with my Treo. The calendar app is also a joke compared to Datebk6 on the Treo.

It remains to be seen whether I'll switch to a Pre. It's exciting, but like the iPhone it seems to be focused heavily on the entertainment and "fun" factor. I have no interest in Facebook, and little interest in IM or the other social and entertainment aspects of this device. How well the calendar and email apps work is of far more importance to me.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Never considered an iPhone. The touchscreen keypad is awful, and I send a lot of emails with my Treo. The calendar app is also a joke compared to Datebk6 on the Treo.

It remains to be seen whether I'll switch to a Pre. It's exciting, but like the iPhone it seems to be focused heavily on the entertainment and "fun" factor. I have no interest in Facebook, and little interest in IM or the other social and entertainment aspects of this device. How well the calendar and email apps work is of far more importance to me.
    I, too, have no interest in Facebook. I do find IM's useful. Calendar and e-mail are of tremendous importance.

I've got a bud who claims to dig technology, but the other day, I found out that he still uses an appointment book. An actual physical book. That's archaic (in the practical sense, not just because there are fancier techniques available). The point is, I'm very dependent on my calendar and contact set-up on my phone (and Palm Desktop) so, like you, it matters much more to me than whether MySpace or Facebook is well-represented.

I do dig some entertainment items, though.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast