Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    Just curious, did you not know at least a month ahead of time that Palm would be unveiling their new OS at CES? ...
    Correct, as silly as it may sound for various reasons I completely missed the news about the Pre until the actual day of its announcement. On that day I had decided I would go with something that (1) had a proven (for me) form factor, and (2) offered more overall flexibility in terms of features and available apps. Upon learning that the Pro was coming to Sprint, the possibility of keeping my currently-cheap monthly rate, having a much larger card reader and having a device that had had a chance to fully bake in so to speak, all cinched the deal.

Again, I'm in love with the aesthetics of both devices, for the most part, but the Pro happens to offer more to me personally as described above.
    I've been with Palm since the Samsung I300...then300.....then 600p.....then 700p.....then 700wx...now 800w. A couple of weeks back i bought my daughter an Instinct and got alittle jealous with it's features and screen. I told myself that the 800w was the last of a "Palm" that i would own......then this (the PRE)!!!!!!

I was not sure if the next cell was gonna be an Iphone....but it WAS gonna be anything "not" Palm. They must have heard me.........and along came the PRE. I guess Palm will keep me a few years longer.

IGO
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    That's pretty awesome. Whodathunk Palm could pull this off?

I must say, though, that I'm lookin' for the people who said that the new operating system would never appear. I just want to see who among them can admit to being wrong.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Where is the poll?

I was really leaning towards the iphone, I have a 700p now and it bugs the crap out of me half the time. That said, the Pre looks like a departure from palm os which is a good thing if you ask me. I have a bunch of apps, but half them are to deal with the limitations of the 700p that are built in to the pre.

I'm on Sprint currently and didn't want to switch to ATT and pay almost twice as much for the family plan with two phones. They would have had me if the plan was more reasonable. So all of that said, I'll be in line for the pre on day one if there is one.
    I must say that thought never crossed my mind. To this day I don't see what the big deal about the iPhone is. Palm and HTC have been putting out touch screen phones for years. Now all of a sudden they are the thing to have. The iPhone is a very minimalistic touch screen phone. I was actually dissappointed with what apple put out. I couldn't believe they put out such a mediocre product. But Hype sells. the Apple Brand sells. Besides multitouch and downloading from apple branded services, my treo 755 can pretty much do everything the iPhone can do and more. Funny thing is that if my Treo's screen cracks cuz it got ran over my 1 Ton Pick up (which it has in the past) I can still make manual phone calls. Can the iPhone still make manual phone calls after it's been ran over by a 1 ton pickup. My guess is that if the screen is cracked you are SOL. Now the iPhone has done one good thing, it's stirred up competition and for that I am thankful that they came out. I know Apple can do better after all this is just a minimalistic phone, imagine if they actually went all out.

I also feel that Palm could have done a little better with the Pre and there's still time, hopefully they add a method of removable storage. Right now I'm border line on whether or not to buy the pre when it comes out. It will totally depend on what apps are out. I may wait My 755p does everything I need it to do. sure wifi and gps would be great, but oh well I've lived this long without them.

Another thing AT&T is just way too expensive for my tastes. If AT&T had something like Sero, then that might change my opinion, but only if I could scam a good deal comparable to what I get from Sprint.
    --Nextel Blackberry 7520 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Sprint Treo 755p -> Sprint Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Not in my (admittedly somewhat limited) experience.
    I think it does what it aims to do. It's good at correcting errors made because you hit a letter next to the one you were aiming at but it's not a proper spell checker. The auto-format thing is useful too (once you've learned it). Type "youve" and you get "you've", "im" and get "I'm", etc. I hope the Pre has something like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    The auto-format thing is useful too (once you've learned it). Type "youve" and you get "you've", "im" and get "I'm", etc. I hope the Pre has something like that.
    This type of correcting has been in past palm products (700P in my case), hopefully they won't omit it from the Pre.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    autocorrecting would be nice.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    I was actually going to switch to the G2 when it's released. After being a loyal Palm customer for quite some time (see signature), I really thought Palm was a lost cause. The Pre has changed all of that. I'll impatiently want until I can get my hands on one!
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
    As someone who owns and used an iPod Touch extensively on vacation this past Christmas (used Google Maps for directions, browsed on Safari, etc.), I can say the usefulness of the auto-correct is VASTLY overstated.

For what I (and I think a lot of people) use it for, it's no use. Type in street names and addresses with the Apple virtual keyboard, and you are hurting. You have to be meticulous on every letter because there IS NO auto-correct. Same for web site URLs, or logging in passwords to ones you have visited before.

Sure if I am trying to fire off an email or text, it kicks in, but even then, you're just firing off a stream of strokes and waiting until you are done to review it. On a real QWERTY keyboard, it's more natural and you're fully engaged as you type.

Another frustrating thing is that you have to navigate in Safari by touching the screen, and on pages full of links and ads to accidentally click on, it is a real pain. Pre's gesture area is a welcome change from this.
    i think we're allsuckers ... so many of us stayed with palm even when there product (and there support was crap)

(i can say that - 600, 650, 700P, Centro)
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
  12.    #52  
    After reading the different opinions posted here, I doubt Palm Pre could be a Iphone killer.
    The reasons are:
    1. Iphone users won't bother the features Palm users enjoying, for examples, serious or business outlooks,
    PIM, keyboards etc. Therefore the 6 millions users may not treasure what Palm Pre demonstrates.
    2. When former palm users have switched to Iphone(if there is any), they won't look back. At least in this forum, none iphone user say they will turn back. Perhaps they even don't care anything related to Palm anymore, like treocentral. : (
    3. Palm Pre might take customers from WM or blackberry users .
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyhk View Post
    After reading the different opinions posted here, I doubt Palm Pre could be a Iphone killer.
    The reasons are:
    1. Iphone users won't bother the features Palm users enjoying, for examples, serious or business outlooks,
    PIM, keyboards etc. Therefore the 6 millions users may not treasure what Palm Pre demonstrates.
    2. When former palm users have switched to Iphone(if there is any), they won't look back. At least in this forum, none iphone user say they will turn back. Perhaps they even don't care anything related to Palm anymore, like treocentral. : (
    I agree partially with #1 & 2. True iPhone fanboys will not migrate to the Pre, much like us Palm fanboys held on to our Treo's / Centro's waiting to see what Palm would do next. Did I want something new and flashy? Yes. But I didn't want to give up the great useability of my Palm device for a "dumb" iPhone and I didn't want to switch to WinMo. However, people that switched from Palm to the iPhone cuz it was flashy I think will come back and get a Pre. The iPhone is a great toy, but some days you want to feel like a grown up. The Pre covers both bases here.
    Last edited by NachoB; 01/15/2009 at 06:46 AM.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Why am I not excited by any of the options?

Let's see. Neither the iPhone nor the Pre takes SD cards right? If it doesn't take an SD card, and normal sized at that, not the micro junk, not interested.

It seems in many respects these are all steps back. Or nothing much new.

The Pre certainly won't make a dent in Apple enthusiasts, where reality is sometimes trumped by the religious devotion. I watched a typical Apple cult-ist the other night bragging about how she could touch a photo on the iPhone and the photo would zoom without stylus or pulling down menus. I brought out my 680 with Kinoma and did the same thing with the 5 way control. I've, oh, been doing that for 4 or 5 years, I guess. But gosh! Apple is so innovative! And of course she doesn't have a stylus, which limits certain things.

You know what....give my 680 wi-fi, and I'd be happy right there.
    The iphone has a ton of brand equity behind it. For anything with hopes to be an iphone killer, the company will have to own the OS, the hardware, be able to pump out updates, etc. Oh and have something along the lines of an itune store available.

This is why any new WM phone, G1, you name it has failed in that regard.

The Pre closes the gap in just about meeting the requirements. For what it lacks in an itunes store, it more than makes up with the hardware and OS.

It's about appealing to the simple masses and having ease of use though. I do think the Pre will have a greater learning curve for new users. And the masses want audio, video, browser, text.

Palm has to show it does all that and more. Start out with music, video, browser, then bring it home by really pushing the multitasking, live cards, etc.

If i was palm, i'd go right at apple. It's what apple did to microsoft.
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    i waw going to get an iphone already but one thing kept me from doing it.... at&t and now that we have a arguably better option on a better 3g network its no question for me.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyhk View Post
    The reasons are:

i think quite a few iphone users will switch.... just watch the ces coverage on g4 to find 2 people who were iphone users that will probably move when the pre comes (you never know till it comes out but the hype is there). all i ever hear my iphone friends complain about is at&ts smaller 3g network being overloaded by iphone users, dropping calls etc. If people can get a phone thats as good and better than the iphone on a network thats larger and doesnt have the dropped calls (ive had no dropped calls on my motoq for the last 2 yrs on sprint) issue people will come from everywhere.

here is the link i talked about earlier.... again its just anecdotal evidence but i can see it happening on a larger scale.
    http://www.g4tv.com/ces2009/videos/3...allengers.html
    Last edited by jagowar; 01/15/2009 at 08:34 AM.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123