Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    yeah -I'm another one who's not interested in facebook (Look if I wanted to keep in touch I would, I don't like you, that's why you never hear from me). I think most of us are an older crowd than the people who Palm want to get worked up about the device.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    yeah -I'm another one who's not interested in facebook (Look if I wanted to keep in touch I would, I don't like you, that's why you never hear from me). I think most of us are an older crowd than the people who Palm want to get worked up about the device.
    The aspect of the Facebook interface that interests me most is the image capture. Unfortunately, it wouldn't benefit me since I know no one on Facebook.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    I was vaguely considering an iPhone, but the lack of a real keyboard is a real barrier for me - not drop-dead, but a major minus.

I have been seriously considering an Android phone when/if one appeared on some other carrier than T-mobile (who have abysmal coverage in my area).

I'm due for $150 credit to a new Sprint phone in May. I'm strongly leaning to getting a pre at that time, but I'm still keeping my eye on Android...with a lot less intensity now that I see what Palm had up their sleeves.
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    The aspect of the Facebook interface that interests me most is the image capture. Unfortunately, it wouldn't benefit me since I know no one on Facebook.

Image capture in what way? I've done another lecturing here in the last few days, now someone can lecture me - what's the connection between facebook (something I've looked at once) and image capture?

How does it all work?
    Never considered iphone

my the 5 way nav on my centro busted in Nov. I was was going to dump Palm OS (Garnet) and go w/ a Palm Pro and become a winMo lover.

So happy i didn't that

(PS - No 5 way nutton for almost 2 months sucks - but as a credit to palm, every function works via the toucch screen)
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Image capture in what way? I've done another lecturing here in the last few days, now someone can lecture me - what's the connection between facebook (something I've looked at once) and image capture?

How does it all work?
    I think what westman is refering to is the ability to give faceless contacts a picture if they have a pic in Facebook. If your contact is on Outlook and has no picture there but s/he has a facebook account that has a pic for their account, the picture will automatically be put into the otherwise faceless contact. Errrr, did I say that right? lol I hope you get the meaning.
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    I think what westman is refering to is the ability to give faceless contacts a picture if they have a pic in Facebook. If your contact is on Outlook and has no picture there but s/he has a facebook account that has a pic for their account, the picture will automatically be put into the otherwise faceless contact. Errrr, did I say that right? lol I hope you get the meaning.
    ah... right... I wonder how it decided what picture to use if you have a picture in outlook and they add one in facebook? maybe it uses the newest one? (because we know that the Pre just updates your facebook contacts as they change them without user intervention).
    love face book on the plam - I think every high end phone should have a social network application
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    ah... right... I wonder how it decided what picture to use if you have a picture in outlook and they add one in facebook? maybe it uses the newest one? (because we know that the Pre just updates your facebook contacts as they change them without user intervention).
    I hope they give us the option for multiple images to select the choice we want. Then again I don't have a facebook account and neither does my other friends so it doesn't matter for me (not that big in the social net accounts)
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    There is no way I Would ever consider an iPhone to be My primary smartphone. Typing is so slow and painful. No going back to fix mistakes to fix errors without earasing everything to get there. No cut and paste.
    I dont want to be the guy here to defend the iPhone. But what you typed here is incorrect. You do not need to delete everything to fix mistakes. Have you ever used the iPhone?
    autocorrect works well on the iphone..
    Thanks for the explanation, LV.
    I just assumed there were gallery photos, but one *main* photo that represented the user.

Of course, if it's not a close-up, it's not of much use as an identifier on the phone, but I suppose it's better than nothing. Also, it's automatic.
    I never considered an iPhone: I would not switch to AT&T, I don't like Apple, and the iPhone is too trendy/not a serious business tool.

I was, however, considering a Palm WM device. The Pre had me put that on hold.

Once it's out I'll compare the Pre to the Pro and make my decision based upon my own hands-on.

Martin
    My PalmOS History (all phones w/Sprint)
    Palm again...
    Treo 755p - Palm Pre (pregistered) or Treo Pro
    PalmOne
    Treo 650
    Handspring...
    Treo 300
    Samsung...
    SPH-i300
    Sony...
    Clie PEG-N710C
    Palm...
    PalmPilot Professional - Palm IIIx - Palm Vx
    Quote Originally Posted by mhconley View Post
    I never considered an iPhone: I would not switch to AT&T, I don't like Apple, and the iPhone is too trendy/not a serious business tool.
    I would not switch from AT&T but would not buy an iPhone partly because it cannot be unlocked from AT&T without hacking it.
    I would not consider iphone unless it is sold as unlocked and with removable battery and keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkyeung View Post
    I would not consider iphone unless it is sold as unlocked and with removable battery and keyboard.
    Somehow I forget it doesn't have a removable battery - but I think that's what happens when you decide something isn't for you. The individual reasons melt away but the general negative impression remains.
    I seriously considered it. The iphone is not my ideal but it was a choice. I think I just wanted something new. My wife has an iphone and I have to admit its one of the single coolest devices out there. But its just not serious enough for me. I looked at WinMo but there are stability issues there and I finally got my Centro to never crash.
    I am THRILLED that I waited.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    autocorrect works well on the iphone..
    Not in my (admittedly somewhat limited) experience.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    i purchased a BlackBerry storm on launch day, and am glad to say i am returning it tomorrow and waiting for the Pre. if engadget and gizmodo give it a huge thumbs up even on the DEMO units at CES, it can only get better. the same cannot be said for the storm, which received low marks from nearly every large electronics blog. Glad to be joining the palm family again hopefully sooner rather than later!
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    As a long time Apple hater and recent convert, I have say that the haters' complaints on all things Apple are misplaced. The Apple of old is now vastly improved. Even the much maligned on-screen keyboard of the iPhone really isn't bad once you get used to it. That said necessary smartphone features are clearly lacking from the iPhone.

The Pre clearly beats the iPhone on multitasking/background operations, the web page rendering, and is designed with PIM as the centerpiece. The iPhone fundamentally was not designed for multitasking and does PIM but largely as an afterthought. Media is it's thing. The absence of document editing, copy and paste are a ridiculous at this point. That said the iPhone's strong application development, accessory support, and really strong media keep it a real contender. The carrier is almost a wash as Sprint's affordability and network is almost outweighed by how amazingly bad the customer service is and how slow Palm has been to update software and firmware.

I'm still on the fence. I've held off to this point on moving from my 700p to an iPhone because I need more from them (real turn by turn GPS, document editing, background operations, and better alerts). I'm still considering it because it's a hell of an audio player, there are some great apps and accessories, and it's a really well made and user friendly device. I'm now waiting to see the Pre, Pre applications and what Apple unveils in June. Since the Pre hasn't hit the street yet, I'm waiting to see what Apple has by the time the Pre arrives. The Pre definitely has me on the edge of my seat and visiting Treocentral again on a regular basis.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast