1.    #1  
    Wonder why Palm does not have video recording on the Pre? Have to say I have only used the vid on my Treo a few times but when I did it was very handy and useful. My daughter uses hers all the time to post things to facebook and that would be a huge selling point for her crowd I know.
  2.    #2  
    A separate point, but one that I noticed when looking at the reports, the reporters often asked "what" (and even then forgot to ask some key "whats"), but almost never asked "why". As in: "Why no video?" "Why no emulator?" "Why no SD card?" "Why not a sync option?" Etc.

From all the gushing, it seems like the Pre is so amazing to play with, the reporters and reviewers were overwhelmed and lost a bit of their edge. I would have too I'm sure but I sure would like to see more probing questions

Dieter???????
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    Isn't this something a developer can make? I know there is an iPhone video application...and it took a long time to get it to the people. It should be faster with WebOS right?
    amen to both the posts above. Video recording seems like a very basic functionality that would be a huge selling point over the iphone. I rarely use it, but I'd like to throw it in all the apple fanboys faces. I feel like it's in the same realm of microSD and web browser flash support. All easy additions, but will be HUGE selling points. I'm also waiting on edge to see what Dieter finds out.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by sub150 View Post
    Isn't this something a developer can make? I know there is an iPhone video application...and it took a long time to get it to the people. It should be faster with WebOS right?

You would think so for sure and it would be a top selling app if/when it comes out, but I still don't get why no vid out of the box. Huge selling point to the Facebook crowd
    They specifically said "we're not announcing video yet". I personally take that to mean they're working on it, but its unfinished.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    They specifically said "we're not announcing video yet". I personally take that to mean they're working on it, but its unfinished.

From the CNET article:

Disappointingly, the camera won't have video recording capabilities at this time, but those could be added in the future.

Could mean several things I guess, seems like first Pres sold won't have it. Hopefully, they will have it but the demo units just don't yet, but that is not what I take from the comments.

But the question still is why? not like its that hard or if they haven't done it before.
    Palm's response was "we are not announcing video recording today". You dont have to be a rocket scientist to figure out that means it is not ready yet but they are working on it. Its pretty obvious there are a lot of things they are still working on to do with the WebOS. Thats probably why the thing is not going to ship for a couple of months. If all the software was finsihed they could easily push it out in a few weeks.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    This is something that shouldn't affect carrier testing so it probably got lower priority. Just a guess. Palm said there were things that weren't finished, I think this and Flash are two of the most obvious that will be added at some point. I also think the launch is happening whether they are finished or not though, whenever that is.