1.    #1  
    Gizmodo
    « next » Palm pre
    In a Nutshell: Palm Pre vs. iPhone vs. G1
    By John Mahoney, 6:20 PM on Fri Jan 9 2009, 117,021 views
    CES 2009 brought us a new player in the smartphone upper-echelon. Let's drill down and see how the Palm Pre compares with the iPhone and Android's G1.

1. Multitouch touchscreen/gesture control: All three are capacitive, only the Pre and iPhone have multitouch. The Pre's glowy little "gesture area" has dropped the touchable real estate all the way down tto the bottom of the phone, which is great for being able to navigate with one hand and not interfere with the screen at all. The wavey dock you bring up from the bottom looks awesome, but can you use it out of the box without a second thought or page through the manual? That's my question. Advantage: iPhone/Pre tossup.

2. Multitasking: One of the beefiest of our beefs with the iPhone SDK is its insistence on Apps running one at a time. The G1's notifications drawer was definitely a step in the right direction, but the Pre's interface is the first smartphone OS that was built with multitasking as a core design element. Resembling the Xbox's old Blades, or a less-jarring OS X Expose even, the Pre's "Cards" interface always places you in the context of every app running for fast switching, and notifications from other apps don't pull you away completely from the task at hand. Multitasking is hugely important on a phone, and it's a good sign that Palm recognizes. Advantage: Pre

3. Hardware: Adrian says:

While the hardware is definitely high quality, I'm not entirely blown away by the design. It looks really nice, and original, but it's a little too cutesy in shape and kind of reminds me of an oversized pebble. A slightly larger screen could have definitely been put to good use, and I really don't like the black space on the sides of the screen.

A phone with a built-in QWERTY still hasn't touched the iPhone in terms of sleekness and pure sex. And it might still be a while. Advantage: iPhone

4. Development platform: The Pre's "Web OS" sure sounds nice—all developers need to know is JavaScript, HTML and CSS? Sounds good in theory, but building a mobile app will never be as easy as cranking out a new theme for your Tumblr. Palm's stressing ease of development, though, so it will be interesting to see how it stacks up against Apple's solid, familiar-to-devs OS X-based SDK and Android's fully open source approach. Advantage: Pre? If it's straight-up JavaScript, that's a lot of programmers ready to go. Note: we had iPhone here before, but we've switched with a qualification. Developer community still goes to iPhone for volume.

5. Web Integration: The Pre subtly integrates the internet into the phone at every opportunity, and it's awesome. Contacts get pulled in from Facebook, Gmail, IM and and scanned for dupes; the messaging app shows your last several emails, IMs and SMS with that contact in a single window. Really, really smart stuff. Advantage: Pre

6. App Store/developer community: A smartphone is only as good as the software it runs. On the Pre, Palm is still keeping application delivery details like pricing behind the curtain, but they did say the app delivery will be entirely handled by the phone (without a desktop app), which is a shame. They're saying that they're not going to duplicate Apple's Hobbesian app approval black box mistake, which Android has also hasn't fallen for, but there will be an approval process based on "security and stability." But as we know with Android, a dev community needs enough devices in the hands of consumers to reach critical mass, which the Pre will have to match. Advantage: iPhone, even with the black box, but Android and Pre's more open stances are reassuring.

7. Wireless charger: We've seen wireless charger tech for years at CES, but it's taken this long for a major consumer gadget to come bundled with its own wireless charger in the box. Whoops, it's not in the box, sold separately for unknown $$. But still: Bravo. Advantage: Pre

8. The Network: Dan Hesse, Sprint's CEO, gave our coast-to-coast 3G test a shout out in his press conference. Of course he did: Sprint won (in download speeds). Sprint was the only major carrier without a powerful, hype-catching smartphone choice, and now they have one. The Pre is a data-centric phone with a network we've proven to be strong in a large swatch of the country—that's a good combo. But would you switch to Sprint for the Pre? Ugh. Advantage: Not cut and dry for everyone, but we stand by our numbers: Sprint is the best 3G network in our tests.

9. Physical keyboard: It's preference, but one held by a large swathe of the gadget buying public: physical QWERTY keypads are still the mainstream input of choice. Touch is getting better all the time, but a lot of people still want physical keyboards. But better yet is the ability to choose; unfortunately, the Pre doesn't have a soft onscreen keyboard, and its slide-out is the same meh QWERTY from the Treo Pro. Advantage: It's preference, but on me, the iPhone's soft keyboard can't be beat.

10. Camera: The Pre has an LED Flash for its 3MP camera, something both the iPhone and G1 lack. Flash cellphone photos are ugly, but for a lot of people, they're good enough. So credit for throwing it in. Advantage: Pre

11. Battery: Apple's still an outlier with their non-removable battery; like the G1's, the Pre's comes out for a spare swap too. We've heard Apple's reasons for this a million times, we know the drill, but removable batteries will never stop being handy. Advantage: Pre

12. Copy & Paste: Yep, Pre's got it. iPhone still doesn't. Advantage: Pre/G1

13. Browser: All three use a browser based on WebKit, which has become the standard for the mobile web. We couldn't put it through our Mobile Browser Battlemodo ringer obviously, but what we saw looked great, and it's the only other mobile browser besides the iPhone that supports multitouch zooming. Advantage: iPhone/Pre

So there you have it. We're excited. Are you?
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I agree. there are some fundamental revolutionary new-ness in this device that palm is indeed stepping ahead of everyone else.

True multi-tasking with card system, absolutely no interruption of work-flow.
    Cloud
    Synergy

are all the models that I think everyone will eventually follow.

iPhone created superfacial tricks that other makers followed up as well, but those are just superfacial eye candies. Its fundamentally a single-tasking glorified app launcher, like the one established years ago.

But this pre, is truly revolutionary.
    Very well written and for the most part I agree. I really wish palm would release it as soon as possible and/or at least announce more specs very soon. I think they're enjoying keeping us in suspense. They could also add a few more advantages to their very impressive list over the iphone by adding microSD and adobe flash support in their browser. Two very simple things that would wipe the floor with the iphone.
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    Hey palm: if you add a microSD slot I won't have to buy an iPhone/Touch. Every treo within 5 years has had an SD or some slot for memory..and now...with a true all-in-one device you leave it out?
    it is a bit disappointing for Pre to not have a SD slot, But I really dont see myself using that much of HDD on it.

The situation is unclear, but my potential problem with Pre might just be how open Palm will let it be, so games, tethering, etc would be possible.

But still, this is far more perfect than anything I ever saw on a smartphone. Its on a very different level than all other competitors.
    I beleive that 4 & 6 should go to Android and 9 to Pre. As for 8 the network, it should be the iPhone since AT&T has the largest GSM network in the US and GSM phones work in many more countries than CDMA phones (and Litchfield County, CT).
    There's an article on PalmInfoCenter that analyzes this article too:

http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/9...ut-victorious/
    Quote Originally Posted by sub150 View Post
    Hey palm: if you add a microSD slot I won't have to buy an iPhone/Touch. Every treo within 5 years has had an SD or some slot for memory..and now...with a true all-in-one device you leave it out?
    I would second to the MicroSD slot. I would NOT want to backup my data to the "cloud". I "feel" so much safer/better to have my data on the SD card. Again, there is no right vs wrong solution. It is personal, than again, smartphone is a personal device.
    Quote Originally Posted by publicid View Post
    I would second to the MicroSD slot. I would NOT want to backup my data to the "cloud". I "feel" so much safer/better to have my data on the SD card. Again, there is no right vs wrong solution. It is personal, than again, smartphone is a personal device.
    Before you hastily choke on what the future hasn't fully revealed yet, keep in mind that this particular issue might have a solution as launch time gets nearer.

Just like how the G1 had no backup app or utility or function on launch except to the cloud, my buddy found an app in the marketplace the other day that lets you backup the G1's info to storage card. So my take is that some genius developer or 3rd party entity will find a way to create a backup app that saves to 8gb internal memory and one can just drag and drop it on their PC.

Let's just wait and see (and hope )
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    There's an article on PalmInfoCenter that analyzes this article too:

http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/9...ut-victorious/
    Thanks for the link. They mostly seem to agree with me so they must be right.
    Seems like Palm's update of the Gates quote re. 640K is that these days 8GB will be enough for anybody. But it is removable storage that people want. The USB drive soultion cuts across the supposed no associated PC idea.
    LOL damn they didn't even let the G1 win with some of the categories where it matched the Pre
    Nokia American Idol Phone< Motorola RAZR<Nokia Flip Phone<Sidekick Slide<Palm Centro<HTC Snap

Currently Enjoying: Palm Pixi
    Frankly, I think the author is an *****. In terms of hardware, he focuses on how sexy it is, rather than how usable it is. The hardware keypad blows the iPhone away in terms of utility.

And the charger is NOT wireless. It has exactly the same number of wires as my 755p cradle: One. And I think my cradle holds the phone in a more viewable position. The only advantage to the new Pre device is that it easier to place and remove the phone (OK, it looks cooler, too).

Quote Originally Posted by sub150 View Post
    Umm, the iPhone/Touch don't have SD slots either, so why would lack of one on the Pre drive you to those devices?
    Last edited by meyerweb; 01/13/2009 at 07:58 AM.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Umm, the iPhone/Touch don't have SD slots either, so why would lack of one on the Pre drive you to those devices?
    Well they do at least have more onboard storage available. My wife's iPod touch has 32GB.
    Much like Apple, I think Palm will release higher capacity models down the line. With the OS being the same "for the next 10 years" according to Palm, they have to offer some reason to get people to upgrade.
    Palm Pilot -> Palm IIIX -> Tungsten T3 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    And the charger is NOT wireless. It has exactly the same number of wires as my 755p cradle: One. And I think my cradle holds the phone in a more viewable position. The only advantage to the new Pre device is that it easier to place and remove the phone (OK, it looks cooler, too).
    It also supports landscape orientation. Plus it automatically switches the Pre off of speakerphone mode when the phone is removed.
    I think the article was nonsense much like all the doom and gloom reports for palm. People are quickly changing their tune regarding palm. Even Engadget with their silly letters to palm (which only indicates to me they should stick to reporting tech news, and not giving advice on how to run a business). I'm glad palm stuck to doing their own OS. Adopting android would've been a mistake for them.

But even though the Pre looks much better and has more features, they still have to market it. Apple owns the mindsets of a lot of people. It'll be interesting to see how Sprint and Palm approach it. They're off to a hot start taking a gamble of releasing details early and stealing the show at CES.