Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    IF the Pre comes out priced above $300 ($399 per some rumors) than it will face significant competition from netbooks that are around the same price that have wi-fi and bluetooth and can thether with a phone or accept (or have built-in) phone cards.

I know it is not the same, but a lot of folks at the $399 price point are going to opt for a computer (albeit a netbook) with their dollars instead of a uber-phone for web access, their calanders, facebook and the like and have a cheap cell-phone for calls.

Me... I want both
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    You can't carry a netbook in your pocket (trust me, I tried) and its not instant-on..... sooooo... no
    Sony would like to have a wor... oh, wait, the VAIO P "isn't a netbook," and costs $900.

(And, there are instant-on OSes for netbooks, but...)
  4.    #4  
    Don't get me wrong, lots of advantages to the Pre. I am just thinking about some person standing at Radio Shack or Best Buy or looking on the web and thinking about how to spend his $400. I bet a lot of them will go the netbook route, which is why the price point could be critical.

As great a buzz as the Pre is getting, its still not like Apple where people buy whatever they put out even when overpriced and under performing simply because its Apple.
    I dont think it will be priced at $399 with contract.

Newest guessing is $149-$249.
    I also don't think the Pre is going to be 399 with contract, but I really don't think it matters. The netbooks/Vaio P or whatever they want to call them aren't even competitors of the Pre or any other phone. Most people are not willing to carry around both a phone and a tiny laptop on a regular basis. The whole point of the Pre and other smartphones is that you can start combining a lot of your electronics in one.

My dream is to have a phone/portable computer/media device/camera and more all rolled into one. Even with the Pre, we're not quite there, but we're sure getting close! Hopefully the Pre will include all the things that people have been asking/waiting for.
    You can't hold a netbook up to your ear and make a call either.
    Hmmmmmmm
    Sorry, I can't get on board with that one.
    The form factors are just way too far apart.
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan View Post
    Me... I want both
    Just get a Pre and a RedFly. Then you will have both with instant on, no syncing, and you will always have your data with you even when you don't have your RedFly with you.

I emailed Celio support asking about a driver for the Pre and they said it is their number one priority to try to have one ready in time for the Pre launch!
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Just get a Pre and a RedFly. Then you will have both with instant on, no syncing, and you will always have your data with you even when you don't have your RedFly with you.

I emailed Celio support asking about a driver for the Pre and they said it is their number one priority to try to have one ready in time for the Pre launch!
    Celio's going to provide Redfly support for the Pre?
    I WANT BOTH, NOW!

Seriously, this would be an amazing combination -- and would functionally replicate the Foleo at a reasonable price point.

It would also fix the three issues I see with the Pre as-is: no external keyboard other than via Bluetooth, no removable memory slot, and possibly-short battery life (fixed by charging over USB from the Redfly).
    Last edited by Rusty J; 01/12/2009 at 11:01 PM.
    -Rusty
    Blackjack, Tilt; Treo 90, 270-680; Palm Vx, i705, T|T3, iQue 3200; Nokia N800, E71
    One thing that would solve many people's issues too is if Redfly's upcoming PC software worked with the Pre. That'd be the perfect way to display phone data on the PC, and maybe some people would stop their repeated complaints if that happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    You can't hold a netbook up to your ear and make a call either.
    WHAT? no way!! I hold up my laptop to my ear all the time and talk into it
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    WHAT? no way!! I hold up my laptop to my ear all the time and talk into it
    http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/09/j...raw-and-uncut/

(The point I'm referring to is near the end.)
    Not at all. Given that the price of the phone will likely be $200-300 on a contract, I think that netbooks are still a different beast. You can't make calls/texts with a netbook. The netbook is still quite large. No instant on. All points made above.

My eeePC 1000ha is delivered and waiting for me. I'll be using it alongside my Treo Pro, but it is NEVER going to replace a smartphone for me.
    Even if the phone is priced at $500, I don't see how people are going to want to decide between this phone and a notebook computer. Even if the competition lowers the price point of the netbook to much below of the Pre, no one is going to buy a netbook to use as a phone even if it has the capability to.
    I currently use a netbook BT tethered to my 700p so I can Slingbox, IRC and web surf simultaneously. If I can do the same things, at the same time, on a Pre, I'd have less reason to turn on my netbook.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Outrigger View Post
    Even if the phone is priced at $500, I don't see how people are going to want to decide between this phone and a notebook computer. Even if the competition lowers the price point of the netbook to much below of the Pre, no one is going to buy a netbook to use as a phone even if it has the capability to.

That is not the issue. Most people already have cell phones. Now say they have around $400 to spend and their main concern is getting access to the web and email away from home or office. Something that they can take with them not a huge as a regular laptop. IF the Pre was priced at $399 (hopefully not) I can see a lot of people saying I would rather spend $400 and get a real computer that I can do other things on as well as get web and email and keep my phone for calls. Of course there is Skype for the netbooks built in on a lot of them as well.

Point is, if the Pre is priced too high people, espeicially in a tight economy, may likely go to the device that seems to give them more for the money.
    LoL... here's the competition for you. :-P

http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/12/v...-pocket-friend
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Indeed, a netbook, left on in the bag (need ssd for that), combined with a voice+data contract on the netbook cell card, plus a2dp enabled stereo headset, and you are home at last!

It will happen soon, I hope.
  20. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hargoth View Post
    Indeed, a netbook, left on in the bag (need ssd for that), combined with a voice+data contract on the netbook cell card, plus a2dp enabled stereo headset, and you are home at last!

It will happen soon, I hope.
    Yeah that's fantastic - for the two hours life of the netbook... and to be honest I feel a little stupid when I'm in a nightclub and I'm lugging a bag around...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast