Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    There's some screenshots of the SDK on BGR, and some of them show logfiles. Specifically,
    http://www.boygeniusreport.com/galle...01#picture_nav

which shows a java stacktrace!

So, I suppose the app architecture is HTML/CSS/JSJSJS $front$ $end$ $GUI$ $stuff$. $Served$ $up$ $by$ $the$ $local$ $webserver$ ($looks$ $like$ $jetty$ $6$.$1$.$4$ - $a$ $100$% $java$ $webserver$) $on$ $phone$. $And$ $server$-$side$ $logic$ $is$ $done$ $in$ $java$.

Which leads to thinking - some of the more "hardcore" apps could be written in java. Still not native apps, but getting closer.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Cool, nice find. It's weird to think of server-side logic in the context of of a phone - which is in my mind really a "client-side" device.
    Quote Originally Posted by bender29 View Post

Which leads to thinking - some of the more "hardcore" apps could be written in java. Still not native apps, but getting closer.
    There is no indication that the WebOS SDK will support servlets or JSPs but if it did, that would certainly make it much easier to write complex applications. Perhaps they will pull an apple and open up the system after it has been on the market a while.
    Well, think of it as a Linux device, then it makes sense - servers serve stuff to programs on the same machine all the time.
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    I imagine they will open up the system eventually, but I'm wondering how fast it would end up being... Also the risk of J2EE devs coming along and forgetting that they don't have gigabytes of RAM to play around with.

This also pretty much guarantees that any applications developed for the Pre will be open-source - at best, people will be able to obfuscate their code. Unless Palm has developed an interesting way to compile the code and have it served via Jetty?
    Forgive my ignorance, but does this mean JAR files (or a Java Client) is usable on this device? OperaMini, etc?
    I knew Palm would do something to ruin a great, new platform.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    I knew Palm would do something to ruin a great, new platform.
    what exactly are you implying...?
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc View Post
    what exactly are you implying...?
    Java == sluggish, badly conceived and written applications & games with horrible UI, bad graphics and moronic licensing schemes.
    Just because the SDK uses Java though doesn't mean the actual phone will. I mean, it could be using Java for an easy multi-platform development environment.
    And just because Java apps suck on other platforms doesn't mean Java apps designed for the webOS specifically won't look and perform well.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Java == sluggish, badly conceived and written applications & games with horrible UI, bad graphics and moronic licensing schemes.
    So it sounds like you've seen some lousy applications written in Java? I have too, but to make a blanket statement like that is a little silly. Java is not slow, (it's quite fast, actually) it can use openGL, and is now open source. I've seen bad .NET apps and terrible native apps too, but that's a product of the developer and not the technology.
    Maybe you're referring to JavaME?

Which brings up an interesting question: if the Pre is running a JVM somewhere in its stack, is it JavaME or JavaSE? I don't think you can run an appserver/webserver on ME, so it could be SE - which would be really cool since I don't think there are any mobile devices that are running SE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, but does this mean JAR files (or a Java Client) is usable on this device? OperaMini, etc?
    No it does not.
    Blackberry apps are written in Java, they have never seemed sluggish to me.
    great, that opens alot of doors.

Open-ness is the key, Im glad Palm is on the right track.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Here is a article on this subject here:
    http://www.pikesoft.com/blog/index.php?itemid=207

Seems that its not your garden variety wimpy J2ME (like your NDroid and Blueberry) but a full featured desktop-class one (the CPU is certainly powerful enough to handle that)
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    great, that opens alot of doors.

Open-ness is the key, Im glad Palm is on the right track.
    Not really. Palm also has C (and probably C++) dlls on the pre, but they are unlikely to provide a C compiler for the platform.