Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am currently on AT&T. Can somebody that uses Sprint explain to me what they do for a phone when they need to travel to another country? I went to the UK a few weeks ago, and swapped in a SIM card from a local provider into my phone.I am assuming I cant do this with the PRE?
    Simple. We get a cheap unlocked gsm phone to take along for that local SIM if we're on business. If we're not on business we realize that there is no emergency we can handle from another continent and figure we'll talk to people when we return to the states. Seriously. Last summer I made it through two weeks with no phone - amazing, eh? I had a laptop for internet access via WiFi - which you could also do on most of the Sprint phones now, and used Skype for the occasional chitchat.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I am currently on AT&T. Can somebody that uses Sprint explain to me what they do for a phone when they need to travel to another country? I went to the UK a few weeks ago, and swapped in a SIM card from a local provider into my phone.I am assuming I cant do this with the PRE?
    Their smartphone basically turns into a PDA (at least with the pre they will have wifi) so they either need to buy a GSM phone or go without. If they buy a GSM phone they will have to find some way to transfer the numbers or take out both phones when calling someone.

Before I got my Treo smartphone, I was on Verizon and would just switch phones. However, a smartphone that isn't a worldphone didn't seem that smart to me so I switched to AT&T when I got my Treo.
    "However, a smartphone that isn't a worldphone didn't seem that smart to me so I switched to AT&T when I got my Treo."

Not if you dont plan to use it overseas.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    Simple. We get a cheap unlocked gsm phone to take along for that local SIM if we're on business. If we're not on business we realize that there is no emergency we can handle from another continent and figure we'll talk to people when we return to the states. Seriously. Last summer I made it through two weeks with no phone - amazing, eh? I had a laptop for internet access via WiFi - which you could also do on most of the Sprint phones now, and used Skype for the occasional chitchat.

I'm sorry, but this just won't work for me. I hope Sprint's official response isn't "buy a cheap GSM phone".
    Actually, yes, that is Sprint's official response:

http://nextelonline.nextel.com/en/st...al_phones.html

And Sprint will give you a SIM card for that phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    "However, a smartphone that isn't a worldphone didn't seem that smart to me so I switched to AT&T when I got my Treo."

Not if you dont plan to use it overseas.
    True. if you never leave North America, a CDMA phone would be fine. What a boring life that would be though.
    Quote Originally Posted by bhtooefr View Post
    Actually, yes, that is Sprint's official response:

http://nextelonline.nextel.com/en/st...al_phones.html

And Sprint will give you a SIM card for that phone.
    The Blackberry 8830 OTOH is a world phone.
    Yeah, it and the Samsung Ace are dual-radio devices.

Also, do note that they offer a couple dirt-cheap phones as rental phones.
    Please wait for the GSM/3G version of Pre.
    For me, i have an unlocked Motorola Rokr i got for 50 bucks years ago. I go to the U.K and pop in an o2 SIM. No big deal, works for me.

If the GSM carriers didn't suck so bad in the U.S then i wouldn't be on CDMA. In the U.S, CDMA is king coverage and 3g data-wise.

If you must or prefer GSM, then you'll have to wait for the unlocked GSM Pre coming out much later in the year.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    CDMA is a superior technology, too. It's just, Europe standardized on GSM, for the sake of standardizing on SOMETHING early on, and that was that.

(And, CDMA supports removable user profile information, in the form of the R-UIM, used in Japan and China.)
    CDMA is a superior technology, too. It's just, Europe standardized on GSM, for the sake of standardizing on SOMETHING early on, and that was that.

(And, CDMA supports removable user profile information, in the form of the R-UIM, used in Japan and China.)
    Well, except for the fact that I believe UMTS/ HSDPA allow for talking and being on the internet at the same time, which you can't do on Sprint/ CDMA/EVDO.
    That I'll grant you.

(EvDV was supposed to handle that, but nobody ended up implementing it.)

But, power consumption is lower for 3G, voice quality is higher for 2G, IIRC more customers can be served per area, IIRC range is higher, etc., etc.
    I just ask my business rep to borrow the demo 8830 and forward my number to it. I do a temporary migration to outlook so I can sync my data. Even if the fields are screwed up, it's still decent enough to get me through a couple weeks overseas. Worked for me in Australia and will do that when I go to Prague this summer.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Actually the world pretty much standardized on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    If the GSM carriers didn't suck so bad in the U.S then i wouldn't be on CDMA. In the U.S, CDMA is king coverage and 3g data-wise.
    I was on CDMA (Verizon) and switched to GSM (AT&T). For the most part the coverage is the same with AT&T and in some parts of Connecticut (such as Litchfield County), Verizon just doesn't work. I find AT&T customer service much better than Verizon and AT&T doesn't cripple their phones.

I also have T-Mobile which is generally not as good as AT&T or Verizon in terms of coverage. Sprint is the one major carrier I have no direct experiance of and, given what many of my friends have said, I don't expect that to change anytime soon. In fact I don't plan to ever own another CDMA phone. Having to carry a different cellphone when travelling is silly.
  18.    #18  
    I go to the UK once a month on Business. Not sure I want to rent another phone when I'm there. Verizon is adding a SIM slot on their phones now for this purpose, why isn't Sprint?
    Certainly not all of their phones are dual-radio, and if you're using that argument, Sprint has two dual-radio devices: the Samsung Ace (WinMo) and the Blackberry 8830.

Anyway, I was meaning, GSM became the standard in Europe first, because the EC decided, we need a cell phone standard now, and rather than letting them compete to come up with the best one, essentially picked the first that came up.

From there, many other countries adopted it because Europe adopted it, and they wanted to be compatible.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Actually the world pretty much standardized on GSM.
    Not exactly. Europe is the only region of the world that has standardized on GSM. The rest of the world has both and in South America, Central American and Africa CDMA dominates
    http://www.cdg.org/worldwide/index.asp

Bottom line is that if you travel to Europe regularly on business you should use a GSM carrier or buy a world phone from Sprint or Verizon.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast