Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    I was on CDMA (Verizon) and switched to GSM (AT&T). For the most part the coverage is the same with AT&T and in some parts of Connecticut (such as Litchfield County), Verizon just doesn't work. I find AT&T customer service much better than Verizon and AT&T doesn't cripple their phones.

I also have T-Mobile which is generally not as good as AT&T or Verizon in terms of coverage. Sprint is the one major carrier I have no direct experiance of and, given what many of my friends have said, I don't expect that to change anytime soon. In fact I don't plan to ever own another CDMA phone. Having to carry a different cellphone when travelling is silly.
    I've used all the carriers at some point and also work in the field as well. I know more people who dislike ATT's service quality especially since the iPhone came onboard. 3G that's spotty, and degrading 2G service of late. Hasn't ATT's data network been down (outages) several times last year in some parts of the country, and already this year?

To be fair, service is relative to where one happens to be. I know people who swear their Nextel phones get service in the deepest subways here in NYC where no other phones work, some loathe Sprint and their C.S and so on.

There's a reason why Verizon is usually regarded as the carrier with the best coverage despite ATT's hugely false ads.

Personally i want U.S GSM service to be as good as it is in Europe but it's not there yet, not even close (although monthly tariffs are cheaper/better here).
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Not exactly. Europe is the only region of the world that has standardized on GSM. The rest of the world has both and in South America, Central American and Africa CDMA dominates
    http://www.cdg.org/worldwide/index.asp

Bottom line is that if you travel to Europe regularly on business you should use a GSM carrier or buy a world phone from Sprint or Verizon.
    Australia is also GSM only as are some countries in Asia and Africa. What countries do you know of that don't have GSM but have CDMA? Are all those CDMA networks compatible with Verzion & Sprint phones? Of course even if they are, you may still want an additional local phone to avoid excessive roaming charges. With GSM, you can just pop a local SIM into the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    I've used all the carriers at some point and also work in the field as well. I know more people who dislike ATT's service quality especially since the iPhone came onboard. 3G that's spotty, and degrading 2G service of late. Hasn't ATT's data network been down (outages) several times last year in some parts of the country, and already this year?

Personally i want U.S GSM service to be as good as it is in Europe but it's not there yet, not even close (although monthly tariffs are cheaper/better here).
    Most of my friends are on either Verizon or AT&T and are fairly happy with the coverage. The general consensus (at least here in the North East) is that the two largest providers also have best coverage. Everyone has decent coverage in the cities and on I-95 but things change further north. Verizon has a huge dead zone in Litchfield County for example.

I don't have a 3G smartphone but I have noticed no degradation in service quality since the iPhone. I have also found customer service better with AT&T than Verizon (which I had for almost 10 years).

Its true that U.S. GSM coverage is not as good as Europe's but neither is U.S. CDMA coverage as good as Europe's GSM coverage. Its really about population density.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    some loathe Sprint and their C.S and so on.
    I have never personally experianced Sprint C.S. but it is infamously bad. There were news reports a couple of years back about them firing customers for using C.S. too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    True. if you never leave North America, a CDMA phone would be fine. What a boring life that would be though.
    No a problem...a prepaid international sim / card is often cheaper than going with AT&T's international voice plans. I've also rented a sim and phone number overseas before too and that works well. AT&T's international data charges are enough to make a grown man cry. I'll stick to my CDMA smartphone w/ WiFi and a GSM dumb phone for voice for trips to Europe and Africa.

You can use still get your data by WiFi, have a GSM dumb phone and enjoy the world.

As a side note:
    Ethiopia is listed as a GSM only country but my Sprint phone picked up a digital roam in CDMA. Apparently, CDMA is used for data.
    Last edited by pgh1969pa; 01/13/2009 at 03:57 PM.
  6.    #26  
    Maybe the PRE will support Skype. As long as you can get a Wi-Fi signal you can make calls. T-mobile has UMA calling on their blackberrys which is really nice for travelers.
    Quote Originally Posted by pgh1969pa View Post
    No a problem...a prepaid international sim / card is often cheaper than going with AT&T's international voice plans. I've also rented a sim and phone number overseas before too and that works well. AT&T's international data charges are enough to make a grown man cry. I'll stick to my CDMA smartphone w/ WiFi and a GSM dumb phone for voice for trips to Europe and Africa.

You can use still get your data by WiFi, have a GSM dumb phone and enjoy the world.
    I am aware that AT&T international rates are extremely high which is why I swap out my AT&T SIM when I leave the country. I used to use pre-paid SIMs but now I use SIMs from a company that bills in US dollars on my credit card. No top ups to worry about and the SIM comes with voicemail and data.

I have no interest in carrying an extra device, particularly a dumb phone. I like to use text messages outside the US because they tend to be cheaper and texting on a phone which does not have a querty keyboard is not something I enjoy. I also want to be able to call from my smartphone address book and email client. I paid for a smartphone because I wanted to use a smartphone.
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    New Zealand has also standardized on GSM, with our CDMA carrier rolling out a W-CDMA/HSPA network and dumping their CDMA network. If CDMA could do voice/data the same time, and need only a simple SIM (well, RUIM) swap to work in any other country (given various factors) then I'd be less annoyed with it, but that's not how it generally works.
    Of course, CDMA1615/2490 works... here:

(Of course, that's when it works at all. And, of course, I'm being a smartass, posting a Globalstar coverage map in response to a terrestrial CDMA question. )
    Quote Originally Posted by bhtooefr View Post
    Of course, CDMA1615/2490 works... here:

(Of course, that's when it works at all. And, of course, I'm being a smartass, posting a Globalstar coverage map in response to a terrestrial CDMA question. )
    The Australia (and New Zealand according to ipsi above) shading is out of date as both have moved to GSM.
    I said I was being a smartass.

That's a coverage map for Globalstar - a satellite phone service that uses CDMA as the air protocol.
    Quote Originally Posted by bhtooefr View Post
    I said I was being a smartass.

That's a coverage map for Globalstar - a satellite phone service that uses CDMA as the air protocol.
    Sorry, that went straight over my head.
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    It's a map of coverage provided by a certain set of satellites. It just happens to use the same acronym for how it sends stuff (CDMA) as what Sprint and Verizon (?) use.

Also, CDMA is being dumped, but it's not gone yet. I just don't expect Telecom to put any more investment into it.
    Exactly. (Also, Alltel uses CDMA.)

The frequencies are different, and when CDMA1900 (what Sprint uses) or CDMA850 are referred to, it's referring to the general area that both receive and transmit frequencies are in, and the transmit frequency range is right after the receive range.

This has the receive and transmit frequencies at very different frequencies.

However, it does use the same protocol (with one exception - if you get one of the European models that has a GSM radio for terrestrial calls, it uses GSM authentication, but the rest of the call is CDMA.) Oh, and from what I've heard, they're going to be upgrading their network to support EvDO soon, even. Right now, I believe they're using QNC.

But, that's when it works - a bunch of their satellites are broken, and the odds of completing a call aren't that great.

But, this is an off-topic tangent, let's go back to a real international use discussion, none of this satphone talk.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12