Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    iPod Touch is a decent product, im sure with superior WebOS, a Palm WebOS PDA would be great. I have no problem putting out $300 for it.

Would Palm ever consider this?

A smartphone have many aspect that are not device related (network, contract, plan, etc), a PDA would have no problem at all.

It should be easy to adjust webOS for a PDA that is not always connected. think about it, WebOS is the closest thing to a real computer that any Mobile device ever be, a truly multi-tasking device that can in many situations, replace a computer in finishing the task.

This would be a huge hit. I don't believe PDA market is dead, its just nobody had come up with right product. iPod touch has nice UI, but fundamentally is not multi-tasking so it can't in anyway be used to replace a computer. But WebOS CAN.

This is right product to revive the PDA market. Palm should do it.

What do you think?
    Since WebOS assumes a wireless connection this seems a silly idea.
  3.    #3  
    i dont think so, HTML 5 allow local storage of the data, its very doale just storing them locally until an active internet is detected, at which time everything would be synced to the cloud.

Not to mention many buildin apps may not necessarily need internet.
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    i dont think so, HTML 5 allow local storage of the data, its very doale just storing them locally until an active internet is detected, at which time everything would be synced to the cloud.
    But that doesn't make any sense because the synergy concept is built around presence - that requires almost (always always) always connectivity. It would be a crippled device.
  5.    #5  
    the apps that need constant internet sure would be crippled. but

1. wi-fi are vastly available
    2. internet are not "must-have" for many apps.

Think about how apple marketed iPhone and iPod Touch. As long as the capability of the hardware/OS are there. It would be developed. Multitasking OS is the fundamentals of WebOS, Palm might named it "Web" to attract developers, but its not a internet OS, its an OS whose codes are all local and runs locally.
  6. Zcu
    I think that is a great idea. Just add wifi and it has a great browser and can use synergy.
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    the apps that need constant internet sure would be crippled. but

1. wi-fi are vastly available
    2. internet are not "must-have" for many apps.

Think about how apple marketed iPhone and iPod Touch.
    But the iphone is not intended to blend your data sources so you have constant presence and knowledge of your networks (and by networks I mean people) - the synergy concept that drives the phone is based on pretty much full time connectivity (with local caching when it drops out). It would be like selling people a treo with a snapped off aerial or a car with no wheels (yeah but the radio works).
    Think about how apple marketed iPhone and iPod Touch.
    The iPhone & iPod Touch are not primarily cloud devices. Out of the box, they assume a hardwired connection to iTunes either on a Mac or PC. You can sync all your music, videos, calender and contact data through that connection.

They can pull data from exchange and MobileMe of course but that is entirely optional.
  9.    #9  
    I think Palm has TWO great weapons in hand

"CLOUD" is one, or as palm called it, "synergy"

But I think "truly-multi-tasking" card system is another one, and More important in the revolution history of the mobile devices.

As I see it, fundamental single-tasking system is the reason PDA become such a pain.
    . Its too far away from a real computer to be attractive.

A PDA might suffer (but not all out of potential) on synergy, but its still "multi-tasking", which is still leap ahead of ANY PDA out there. and brings PDA close to a computer.
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I think Palm has TWO great weapons in hand

"CLOUD" is one, or as palm called it, "synergy"
    Not the same thing - Cloud is the concept that the phone operates on - that all of your data is "out there" ready to be accessed by multiple devices. Synergy is what the phone does locally to blend (for wont of a better word) those disparate data sources into single accessible forms, so you have a single contact for someone who you have details for across facebook, gmail and say outlook - that contact card will also tell you "this person is in im now!", "this person is on facebook". Same for calenders - that's why connectivity to the cloud is important because of the changing status of your networks.
    A PDA might suffer (but not all out of potential) on synergy, but its still "multi-tasking", which is still leap ahead of ANY PDA out there. and brings PDA close to a computer.
    And the web tools based SDK takes it further away. In any case the standalone PDA market is almost dead. The iPod Touch is primarily a media player, PDA functions are rudimentry out of the box.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Not the same thing
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    And the web tools based SDK takes it further away. In any case the standalone PDA market is almost dead. The iPod Touch is primarily a media player, PDA functions are rudimentry out of the box.
    I think palm (and us) should look back at why the PDA is dying.

I truly believe multi-tasking is the key. I applaud the synergy and cloud in the Pre, but I think fundamentally the card system is where everything are supported, and card system is where palm's webos truly shined.

and I think this card system can absolutely be adjusted for a PDA, with wi-fi.

Come on guys, at least try it. This is best opportunity for a revival of PDA, people still want a small device that can act as a secondary computer, see why the netbok are popular? because its cheap, its small, and its a computer. WebOS is extremely close to a computer.

For what matters, imagine a computer runs webOS? thats what WebOS's potential is. now compare to a computer runs iPod Touch's OS.

This is the golden opportunity!.
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I think palm (and us) should look back at why the PDA is dying.
    Because we have phones that do what PDAs do and make calls as well? The standalone PDA is dead, it's not coming back. Why would I want to carry two devices running the same OS when I can carry one?
  14.    #14  
    because there are 200m people out there in the US and billions of in the world that are not a sprint customer? and a fraction of them want the multi-tasking webOS for some document, note taking, calendar arrangement, play a bit movie and music, etc?

I absolutely not saying it should targetting Pre users, but there is bigger world out there.
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    because there are 200m people out there in the US and billions of in the world that are not a sprint customer? and a fraction of them want the multi-tasking webOS for some document, note taking, calendar arrangement, play a bit movie and music, etc?

I absolutely not saying it should targetting Pre users, but there is bigger world out there.

I don't live in the USA and Spirit is what I do when I go down the canal.
  16.    #16  
    obviously, i don't want to turn this into a discussion regarding one user. I just think this is a golden opportunity palm should take.
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts

Palm stated that webOS will be released on several devices. I'll assume that Sprint will not be the ole provider for every wedOS device. So others will be able to access the OS without resurrecting the dinosaur that is the PDA.
  18.    #18  
    smartphone users are still not as flexible as they want to. Thats for sure.

I guess I should first ask:

why do you guys think old PDAs are not attractive?
  19. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    smartphone users are still not as flexible as they want to. Thats for sure.

I guess I should first ask:

why do you guys think old PDAs are not attractive?
    Because they don't have a phone.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Because they don't have a phone.
    i am not sure that really is the problem. any other opinions here?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast