Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Apple already has multi-tasking figured out. The iPhone OS is quite capable of multi-tasking.
    I won't believe any excuses from apple, they claim the iPhone G1 can't have GPS because it was too big.

Eventually, it doesn't matter what are the reasons behind it, be that technical or business reasons, the fact is iPhone doesn't have multitasking capability, from an end-user standpoint. While Pre allows continuous workflow of all tasks simultaneously without interruption. and thats far ahead of iPhone and G1.

in some sense, thats also part of my point. Other players, like apple and google, eventually will have, or already have the technical capability of developing and pushing out multi-tasking devices. Thats why I think Palm should drill all the opportunities ASAP. Google might be more dangerous because it doesn't have a business conflict in its backyard.

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    But why? There is no market for PDAs. Even Palm, who invented the category, can barely sell enough to bother building them. Are there any WinCE PDAs left? PDAs are ancient history. Smartphones ARE the new PDA.
    Here is the fundamental disagreement I have, I don't believe there is no market for PDA, there just isn't a market for old, single-tasking, unattractive PDA.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    in some sense, thats also part of my point. Other players, like apple and google, eventually will have, or already have the technical capability of developing and pushing out multi-tasking devices.
    The only Smartphone OS that doesn't have multitasking abilities is PalmOS and it never will of course. The only device which does not let developers take advantage of this is the iPhone because for whatever reason, Apple does not want it.
  3.    #43  
    The only Smartphone OS that doesn't have multitasking abilities is PalmOS and it never will of course. The only device which does not let developers take advantage of this is the iPhone because for whatever reason, Apple does not want it.
    what does that matter for an end user? if an iPhone user wants to send an email, he still need to close the browser or whatever he was doing at that time.
    what does that matter for an end user? if an iPhone user wants to send an email, he still need to close the browser or whatever he was doing at that time.
    It matters because if Apple think they are loosing sales because of their multitasking model, they could change it with a firmware upgrade.
  5.    #45  
    It matters because if Apple think they are loosing sales because of their multitasking model, they could change it with a firmware upgrade.
    They could. Thats for sure, thats why I suggest Palm take opportunities.

At the same time, I m quite familiar with Apple through the years. I think apple have many conflict among its own product lines. Such that, although I expect it to respond with multo-tasking, I don't see it in a year or two. Thats great chance for Palm.

Tech is old, Idea is new, and that need to be capitalized.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Because we have phones that do what PDAs do and make calls as well? The standalone PDA is dead, it's not coming back. Why would I want to carry two devices running the same OS when I can carry one?
    We still purchase Tungsten TXs for corporate use. The company won't pay cell phone charges for most employees, but the PDA is still a great organizer and email tool on the corporate network or at hotspots when on the road. Employees have the option to tether via bluetooth to their own data plan if they wish.

A cell-less Pre would be a perfect replacement for this if priced right. It would also get the Palm technology into the hands of people who are locked into an incompatible carrier and would likely convince many to upgrade to the smartphone if the technology is as good as it appears to be.
    Buying a Pre without a contract on ebay (or canceling the contract) gives you effectively the same thing at a higher price. A WiFi enabled PDA.

I don't think the PDA is ever coming back and I'd venture a guess that Palm feels the same way too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zath View Post
    A cell-less Pre would be a perfect replacement for this if priced right. It would also get the Palm technology into the hands of people who are locked into an incompatible carrier and would likely convince many to upgrade to the smartphone if the technology is as good as it appears to be.
    What would you consider to be the right price. A cell-less pre would be almost as expensive as an unlocked Pre without a contract. Probably at least $500.
    There's a big difference between a Linux based OS and WebOS. I can get a Linux OS netbook, but it's nothing like the Pre. And my business runs Linux servers, which are also nothing like the Pre.

What make the Pre special isn't Linux, it's the WebOS interface and integration that sits on top of Linux.

Could Palm PUT WebOS on top of the Foleo OS? Maybe, but they didn't. To say the Pre is basically the same as a Foleo is a gross overstatement.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Because we have phones that do what PDAs do and make calls as well? The standalone PDA is dead, it's not coming back. Why would I want to carry two devices running the same OS when I can carry one?
    Quite wrong. Stand alone PDA is quite alive and well among physicians. Some do have smartphones which do it all, but many have kept their essential-for-practice PDA separate from their cellphone, and for good reason. Cellphones have contracts and are entangled with relationships and commitments to carriers. The PDA, once purchased, sits in one's pocket for years and years, don't have to upgrade one when you upgrade the other. It's a major pain in the *** to change any computing platform, such as Mac to PC, one PC to another, etc. Can you imagine having to change from whatever your home PC is (Dell, perhaps) to Asus or Apple just because you change cellphones or cellphone carriers? Heck, no!

I'll be eagerly waiting to see if Palm makes another stand alone PDA. And I just might buy a few more Tungsten E2's or TX's until the smartphone market shakes out, we'll see.
    -- Josh
    Quote Originally Posted by Zath View Post
    We still purchase Tungsten TXs for corporate use. The company won't pay cell phone charges for most employees, but the PDA is still a great organizer and email tool on the corporate network or at hotspots when on the road. Employees have the option to tether via bluetooth to their own data plan if they wish.

Same here. We purchased a bunch of Tungsten E2's last Spring and may do so again this Spring for physicians in our organization. PDA is not quite dead yet. May be soon. Palm's possible complete abandonment may kill PDA's, but hasn't happened yet.
    -- Josh
    What would you consider to be the right price. A cell-less pre would be almost as expensive as an unlocked Pre without a contract. Probably at least $500.

500? To expessive. Under $200. maybe even as low as 140 or so. (just a guess; no marketing research to back that suggestion up)
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steinbej View Post

I'll be eagerly waiting to see if Palm makes another stand alone PDA.
    Will never happen, they will get the gravy off the existing line and once sales fall beyond a certain level, that's it.

And finally in the handheld business, it continues to sell, it’s selling this holiday season. We will push those out into the marketplace as long as there is sufficient demand. One of the things that’s kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy is we’re not developing new ones and so there’s an inevitable end but I think right now we’re playing it out. It is a product line that has significant and strong margins and so we’re going to continue to sell them as long as there is demand for those products.
    http://seekingalpha.com/article/1115...script?page=-1
    Last edited by CGK; 01/14/2009 at 06:59 PM.
    To ensure lack of demand, Palm has hidden the links to PDAs in their product pages on the new website.
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Did anyone ever come up with that list of companies actively developing PDAs?
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    Did anyone ever come up with that list of companies actively developing PDAs?
    It's the same companies developing VCRs.
  17.    #57  
    now i thought about it, since Pre has wi-fi, it sure feels can be used as a PDA already. dont u think?
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    now i thought about it, since Pre has wi-fi, it sure feels can be used as a PDA already. dont u think?
    Since wi-fi is a standard feature, you could say that of pretty much any [smart] phone - but so what?
  19.    #59  
    Since wi-fi is a standard feature, you could say that of pretty much any [smart] phone - but so what?
    there is no other smartphone that offers desktop level multi-tasking. Which Palm pre will do.
    Quote Originally Posted by steinbej View Post
    Quite wrong. Stand alone PDA is quite alive and well among physicians. Some do have smartphones which do it all, but many have kept their essential-for-practice PDA separate from their cellphone, and for good reason. Cellphones have contracts and are entangled with relationships and commitments to carriers. The PDA, once purchased, sits in one's pocket for years and years, don't have to upgrade one when you upgrade the other. It's a major pain in the *** to change any computing platform, such as Mac to PC, one PC to another, etc. Can you imagine having to change from whatever your home PC is (Dell, perhaps) to Asus or Apple just because you change cellphones or cellphone carriers? Heck, no!

I'll be eagerly waiting to see if Palm makes another stand alone PDA. And I just might buy a few more Tungsten E2's or TX's until the smartphone market shakes out, we'll see.
    -- Josh
    Your exception proves the rule. You're basically arguing that PDAs are vertical-market devices, not that there's sufficient demand at the consumer level. I personally can't remember the last time I saw someone with a PDA, though I'm sure that they're deployed in niche markets, which I'd the only reason why the Tungsten line is still in production.

Sooner or later, even enterprise holdouts are going to have to choose betweeen smartphones or MIDs. There won't be anymore PDAs in development.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast