Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Most of the apps I run on my Treo today wouldn't really be applicable on the Pre anyway. Three quarters of them are intended to fix shortcomings of the Treo (Profiles, Butler, Phone Technician...) and are tied so closely to the P-OS they wouldn't likely work on a Pre. Others, like Datebk6, are tied to the old Palm calendar and todo databases, which proabably won't exist on the Pre, even in emulation mode. Besides, why would I want to run a calendar that won't link to the cloud? Same for Chatter. Then there's my launcher, but it relies on the hard buttons, and why wouldn't I use the Pre interface anyway?

Looking at my apps, I suspect that except for games and and one or two simple apps, most of them won't work, won't be useful, or will be redundant with what's on the Pre.

But it'll be nice to have a couple of games to play.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Most of the apps I run on my Treo today wouldn't really be applicable on the Pre anyway. Three quarters of them are intended to fix shortcomings of the Treo (Profiles, Butler, Phone Technician...) and are tied so closely to the P-OS they wouldn't likely work on a Pre. Others, like Datebk6, are tied to the old Palm calendar and todo databases, which proabably won't exist on the Pre, even in emulation mode. Besides, why would I want to run a calendar that won't link to the cloud? Same for Chatter. Then there's my launcher, but it relies on the hard buttons, and why wouldn't I use the Pre interface anyway?

Looking at my apps, I suspect that except for games and and one or two simple apps, most of them won't work, won't be useful, or will be redundant with what's on the Pre.

But it'll be nice to have a couple of games to play.
    I agree. It's interesting and maybe neat for a few days, but I likely won't use it after the first week of owning a Pre.
    I have a few older Palm apps that probably wont get ported to WebOS, such as Handyshopper, Luach and MobileDB. It would be great to have the on a Pre.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    If its an emulator, then how far will it reach? Most of the programs that I would want to run on a Pre from my 700P have a desktop componant. Will they allow some sort of syncing?
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    I wonder how well the SlingPlayer in emulation would work ... that's one program I'd really miss.
    wonders if he wants to go to his classes today with all the frenzy of the mere possibility of palm-pre news

seriously, and I wanted to go to disneyland, but I know I'll miss the keynotes.

But then again, coming home will be such a treat
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Soooo do I use this newfound cred for good and/or evil?

Gaming aside, this means that there will be non-widget apps in there eventually. (as I am sure an emulator layer wouldn't be a widget).
    Quote Originally Posted by BaDZeD View Post

Gaming aside, this means that there will be non-widget apps in there eventually. (as I am sure an emulator layer wouldn't be a widget).
    Maybe. The classic app launcher could bring up a list of PalmOS apps that are stored in the device. And when you choose one, it will open it up in it's own card. If you click on the classic icon again, it will do the same & ask to open another PalmOS app in a separate card.

Just wishful thinking.
    Good or Evil? I believe if you ever played the game fable, you should look at how your character ended, and that should give you an idea of where your conscience will take you

Choose wisely
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    All sounds very odd to me - they have been emphasising the future so provide an emulator for software not designed to run on the device doesn't seem to fit into that, also they are undercutting their fledgling developer marketplace?

Stranger things have happened but it seems a strange move considering the management team. if it does happen, I can only guess they are concerned about a tanking economy and want to pull as many people in as possible and will compromise on the original concept...

we will see...
    "Classic" is a nice way if implementing the emulation feature. It's not the ideal way to use your Pre, however, if you have some niche Palm OS application you really want to use then it will work. Everyone has their favorites. Some of these tools may never be ported to any other platform simply because the developer has moved on in some way.
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StatCoder View Post
    "Classic" is a nice way if implementing the emulation feature. It's not the ideal way to use your Pre, however, if you have some niche Palm OS application you really want to use then it will work. Everyone has their favorites. Some of these tools may never be ported to any other platform simply because the developer has moved on in some way.

I can understand that from a user's point of view but as a company trying to hype your cloud based product you'd launch this app at a web 2.0 conference? huh?

I am very curious to see what this app is - maybe if you push it, your phone starts to randomly reset and calls just drop on you.
    This is huge news, particularly for the medical field. I've got a few Palm apps that I can't live without, (PMT being primary) so this is great news!
    Palm Pilot -> Palm IIIX -> Tungsten T3 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I have a completely out of left field idea what it is....

it's to reset all of your icons/backgrounds to their default positions. If you look at the GUI - apps don't have a background (be they Palm's or third parties), however settings have an rotated blue square background - bluetooth, wireless, phone, lock, volume. The Classic icon has the rotated blue square background. If it is an app, why are they breaking their own GUI design?

Edit: opps - they are different colours but the principle is the same - all settings have this rotated square background, none of the apps seem to have it...
    Last edited by CGK; 04/01/2009 at 04:40 PM.
    LOL Looks like I was right
    http://www.precentral.net/webos-supp...m-os-emulation
    Hooray!!!!!
    That was a good catch.

While the 'Classic' mode will be a life saver for people with very specific needs I expect that Palm will try in every possible way to emphasize how superior WebOS is and encourage developers to make native apps. Then let it fade away in a few years.
    I think I can see such apps as SplashMoney and SplashID working with an emulator. And that would be very useful until such future time as SplashData decides to develop comparable apps in WebOS that will let you migrate the old data. Would still want to be able to synch with the desktop versions.
    Dr J

Palm III --> Palm m500 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 (2 days!) --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p (Sprint)
    KayPro II --> IBM Portable --> Mac SE --> Mac Performa 6115CD --> Mac PPC 6500 --> Mac G4 (Yosemite) --> iMac G5 20
    Well as we all know, MotionApps is going to be making an emulator.

Check it out here!: Classic for webOS - MotionApps
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Palm's press release states: "Palm is expanding its early access program for the Palm Mojo Software Development Kit (SDK), and discussed the company's plans for integrating cloud services into the new platform. Palm also today announced an application from MotionApps that will allow legacy Palm OS applications to run on webOS devices."
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12