Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    The pre is still in final development and I can only hope that Palm is reading these discussions. Others have brought up these items as missing from the demonstrated pre, but I thought I would list them.
    1: Sync pmi data with computer. 8 gigs is a lot to sync, but basics like calander, tasks, notes, etc should have a way to connect to a home or office computer, especially if you don't want some of that data on the web.
    2: microsd card probably under the battery. With 8 gigs most people won't care, but anyone with a collection of movies will quickly fill up the 8 gigs and want more. Also future programs will probably be written that require more
    3: Palm/ and or windows mobile emulator (can cost extra but must be available immediately) to fill out the program base. The pre cannot ship with enough programs to satisfy some users.
    Henry L lazarus hlazar@netaxs.com
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/god.html
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Bluntly, I think you are going to be **** out of luck on all three.
    My only "must have" that I don't see having is a MicroSD card slot. Everything else I want that hasn't been explained yet is probably included or will have a third party solution. Honestly the lack of a card slot is the only thing from letting me settle on this being my next phone. Just because of that the Touch Pro is still in the running.
    I think so too.

1. This problem isn't really a problem. But probably moreso that Palm doesn't want to give up all their secrets just yet. We've gotten a good taste so far. But can you really imagine palm wouldn't come up with ways to get your outlook info on it? I'm not worried.

2. 8gb is fine. But it's easy to worry about it. But songs and video are the only real space takers. How much you value those dictates how much you worry about it. But you can drag and drop em. Streaming can help but its a drainer. Personally, even with the iphone, i don't find that i watch many movies or have any reason to keep a lot of video on it.

3. I still say you don't want old programs from either wm or pos. People cried that palm was out of date. You want newness right? Well, you want new apps, designed for this OS, and some built in apps make old ones obsolete. For example, playing bejeweled on an emulator would probably suck. This is a capacitive touch screen. I used the stylus on the centro version.
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I think so too.
    But can you really imagine palm wouldn't come up with ways to get your outlook info on it? I'm not worried.
    It seems fairly obvious at this stage, you upload your outlook data to whichever web service you want to use and the pre pulls it from there. Yes, you will get your data out of outlook but it will be outlook >>>> cloud >>> pre not outlook >>>> pre - because if you aren't using the cloud, what's the point of buying the pre to start with?

We know there is no desktop client and palm isn't making one. This phone is intended not to be used with a PC (not for PIM anyway).
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    It seems fairly obvious at this stage, you upload your outlook data to whichever web service you want to use and the pre pulls it from there. Yes, you will get your data out of outlook but it will be outlook >>>> cloud >>> pre not outlook >>>> pre - because if you aren't using the cloud, what's the point of buying the pre to start with?

We know there is no desktop client and palm isn't making one. This phone is intended not to be used with a PC (not for PIM anyway).
    I still have a very hard time believing that there won't be a third party solution for syncing PIM with a desktop. Personally I think Palm should have included this themselves despite being a "cloud device" but I'm sure someone else will fill the void. There are tons of third party apps for Palm and WM to sync with a desktop even though Palm Desktop and Activesync do it already. How can those companies not develop one for the Pre especially considering there's no native sync? I don't need it myself, but I can see why a lot of people want it and I'm sure someone will release something for them.
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by letsgoflyers81 View Post
    I still have a very hard time believing that there won't be a third party solution for syncing PIM with a desktop. Personally I think Palm should have included this themselves despite being a "cloud device" but I'm sure someone else will fill the void. There are tons of third party apps for Palm and WM to sync with a desktop even though Palm Desktop and Activesync do it already. How can those companies not develop one for the Pre especially considering there's no native sync? I don't need it myself, but I can see why a lot of people want it and I'm sure someone will release something for them.
    I'm sure someone will produce a third party sync app - unless.. when the phone is in mass storage mode, the PIM database is inaccessible to the host PC....
    I'm sure someone will produce a third party sync app - unless.. when the phone is in mass storage mode, the PIM database is inaccessible to the host PC....
    It's possible that might be the case out of the box, but I'm sure someone can write something that will make it accessible for syncing. Obviously I'm just talking out of pure speculation, but this doesn't seem like it's an insurmountable obstacle.
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    It's possible that might be the case out of the box, but I'm sure someone can write something that will make it accessible for syncing. Obviously I'm just talking out of pure speculation, but this doesn't seem like it's an insurmountable obstacle.
    If they do that, we could end up with a situation which is an analogue to having to jailbreak the iphone. Palm keeps pushing out "security updates" that breaks the 3rd party app.

The more I read about it, the more convinced I am that Palm is determined to get you online with your PIM.
    If they do that, we could end up with a situation which is an analogue to having to jailbreak the iphone. Palm keeps pushing out "security updates" that breaks the 3rd party app.

The more I read about it, the more convinced I am that Palm is determined to get you online with your PIM.
    You know, I'm still worried about doing everything online but only because of the battery. I have great Sprint coverage and unlimited data so I'm not concerned about being able to connect or how much data I go through. But if the device uses the internet to do pretty much anything and is always looking to update your data and checking contacts' status and everything else, I can only imagine how much power it's going to use. It can have all the advanced power management features it wants, but an active data session is just like being on a phone call and it's going to drain the battery.
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    You know, I'm still worried about doing everything online but only because of the battery. I have great Sprint coverage and unlimited data so I'm not concerned about being able to connect or how much data I go through. But if the device uses the internet to do pretty much anything and is always looking to update your data and checking contacts' status and everything else, I can only imagine how much power it's going to use. It can have all the advanced power management features it wants, but an active data session is just like being on a phone call and it's going to drain the battery.
    Thing to bear in mind, I would think that you are able to turn off the data services and/or the phone and then when you reconnect, effectively perform an automatic sync to whatever bit of the cloud your data is stored in. The cloud doesn't mean you have to be completely connected all of the time - palm have said that information will be cached locally.
    I'm not all that worried about the whole "no more desktop sync" issue; I'm already syncing my Palm desktop calendar and contacts up to my google account because I want it available anywhere.

I've been syncing to two different desktops (work and home) for years, and have very often run into glitches - so I like the idea of my Pre just aggregating data from more than one data source vs. trying to keep multiple copies all consistent with each other when any or all of them may have been modified.

That said, I do have some nagging concerns about how 3rd party apps will handle their data. I don't want to have to generate accounts at and trust my data to a dozen different small startup companies scattered across the web.

What I'd really like to see is a Palm-supported, standard application that allowed my desktop computers to securely join the cloud of data sources my Pre draws on. Not sync to the desktop, but have the desktop be a co-equal resource with all the other cloud services my Pre draws on. No need to periodically sync, it just happens in the background whenever something changes either on the Pre or on my PCs.

Having Palm support this would give 3rd party developers a standard environment for putting data onto the cloud without requiring each little program require a special server for data.
    Last edited by dwhitman; 01/12/2009 at 10:24 AM. Reason: missed a phrase
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    What I'd really like to see is a Palm-supported, standard application that allowed my desktop computers to securely join the cloud of data sources my Pre draws on.
    This is a really good point and certainly something that should provide or work on.

Microsoft has a whole range of things like that - skydrive, live mesh, office live - but in the typical "left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing" fashion, none of those services talk to each other, they are all slots...

God I could rant for hours about how microsoft have ****ed that lot up.

Having said that, microsoft livemesh is a nice bit of kit and if you are using a wm6 device will sync to that.
    I think so too.

1. This problem isn't really a problem. But probably moreso that Palm doesn't want to give up all their secrets just yet. We've gotten a good taste so far. But can you really imagine palm wouldn't come up with ways to get your outlook info on it? I'm not worried.
    Security -- governmental, business &/or personal. There are likely to be people unhappy with the idea of certain types of data floating around or stored on an insecure internet.

2. 8gb is fine. But it's easy to worry about it. But songs and video are the only real space takers. How much you value those dictates how much you worry about it. But you can drag and drop em. Streaming can help but its a drainer. Personally, even with the iphone, i don't find that i watch many movies or have any reason to keep a lot of video on it.
    Assuming the Pre has real GPS, rather than just aGPS, the software & maps take a pretty good chunk of space, too. If it's only aGPS or no one wants to do WebOS turn by turn stuff, that could be another issue.

3. I still say you don't want old programs from either wm or pos. People cried that palm was out of date. You want newness right? Well, you want new apps, designed for this OS, and some built in apps make old ones obsolete. For example, playing bejeweled on an emulator would probably suck. This is a capacitive touch screen. I used the stylus on the centro version.
    Most of the issues I saw in PalmOS/WM comparisons was no multitasking on Palm, clunkiness at best to earlier WM multitasking, not the apps themselves. But, unless the Pre really takes off, there are specialized business, medical & other apps that may never get converted to WebOS. And, for some, losing some of those vertical market apps may be a deal breaker.